Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried again today, verified sending location still works after yesterday's initial hiccup. My phone always said the location was successfully shared, but same as @speedy above, it wasn't initially popping up on the car. Not sure what finally caused it to start working again, but I'm glad it works now!
Just for the record, I didn't say that it didn't pop up in the car initially, just that I wasn't in the car to check it. When I was in the car testing later, every destination sent was received in the car.

Reactions: fcastrillo86
I think its time you folks saw this again. I put it up once in a while. I didn't make it up, but I wish I did. Enjoy.

My Wife is Missing--
A husband went to the police station to report his missing wife:
Husband - I’ve lost my wife, she went shopping yesterday & has still not come home.
Sergeant - What is her height ?
Husband - I really never noticed.
Sergeant - Build?
Husband - Not slim, not really fat.
Sergeant - Color of eyes?
Husband - Never noticed.
Sergeant - Color of hair?
Husband - Changes according to season.
Sergeant - What was she wearing?
Husband - Dress/suit/ I don’t remember exactly.
Sergeant - Did she go in a car?
Husband - yes.
Sergeant - What kind of car was it?
Husband - Arrest-Me Red Tesla Model S dual motor drive electric vehicle with liquid-cooled
power train with 100 kWh microprocessor controlled, lithium-ion battery, motor, drive inverter,
and gear box, three phase, four pole AC induction motor with copper rotor, drive inverter
with variable frequency drive and regenerative braking system and single speed fixed gear
with 9.73:1 reduction ratio and has a very thin scratch on the right front door.…
at this point the husband started crying.
Sergeant - won't worry sir.......We will find your car.

I just read this to my wife who was not amused. I asked her why and she replied that in our household, this represents reality so it's not a joke:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can anyone with the UHFS confirm their subwoofer is still working with MCU2?

How about AP1 cars? Is AP same, better, worse? I'm still on V8.1 and have to yank the wheel every 20 seconds or so or it'll beep at me to hold the wheel firmly even if I'm already holding it. Really like AP1 with 7.0. It got progressively worse with each update. I finally decided to not update any more but now I'm disconnected from service and my app doesn't work.

I had to schedule the upgrade by phone after listening to a million call tree options saying "You must schedule service through the app". Even the main Tesla customer service number made me climb call trees for 20 minutes before I was able to get a real person.

Tesla automatically installs HW3 when you get MCU2 regardless if you paid for FSD. Been well documented here. One reason is because it's just easier to do them both together.
@viper2ko, We all know this has been true since just about this time, a year ago. I mean accurate starting in Feb/March 2020. But recently we have a couple of AP2 owners that explained the SC folks told them the reason they didn't get HW3 with their MCU2 upgrade was because the price was reduced to $1500.

That makes sense if they have stopped adding HW3. But does it also mean that any non-AP or AP1 owners never should have been charged the full $2500 if AP2/2.5 owners are paying $1500 when they don't get HW3? (I bet I have started some real sugar now, huh?) Sorry.

@viper2ko, We all know this has been true since just about this time, a year ago. I mean accurate starting in Feb/March 2020. But recently we have a couple of AP2 owners that explained the SC folks told them the reason they didn't get HW3 with their MCU2 upgrade was because the price was reduced to $1500.

That makes sense if they have stopped adding HW3. But does it also mean that any non-AP or AP1 owners never should have been charged the full $2500 if AP2/2.5 owners are paying $1500 when they don't get HW3? (I bet I have started some real sugar now, huh?) Sorry.

I made this exact point in another thread. It would also mean people that paid for FSD and got the mcu2 upgrade for $2500 were paying for HW3. That is a very hairy situation.

So ppl who hadn’t paid for FSD were getting HW3 with their MCU2 upgrade? That is odd...

So ppl who hadn’t paid for FSD were getting HW3 with their MCU2 upgrade? That is odd...
Yes. I believe the parts are still installed as part of a kit. One S75D that was upgraded last week received the FSD computer upgrade, upgraded from AP2.5 to AP3, when MCU2 installed. However, we have not purchased FSD on that vehicle so it doesn't get all the new visualizations, etc. It is a software update to add FSD now and won't require another visit to the service center.

Can anyone with the UHFS confirm their subwoofer is still working with MCU2?

How about AP1 cars? Is AP same, better, worse? I'm still on V8.1 and have to yank the wheel every 20 seconds or so or it'll beep at me to hold the wheel firmly even if I'm already holding it. Really like AP1 with 7.0. It got progressively worse with each update. I finally decided to not update any more but now I'm disconnected from service and my app doesn't work.

I had to schedule the upgrade by phone after listening to a million call tree options saying "You must schedule service through the app". Even the main Tesla customer service number made me climb call trees for 20 minutes before I was able to get a real person.

Our 2015 MS P85D's UHFS subwoofer is still working after my MCU2 upgrade in December. LOVE the MCU2 speed improvement and being able to use the Tesla browser again... Especially Tesla Waze.

AP works the same as pre-MCU2 upgrade. IMHO AP has constantly improved since AP's "early days" when it acted like it was drunk driving. MUCH smoother now. I use it most of the time.