Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this new? If you have AP2 or 2.5 then its $500 more:
Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation. This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles.

I wonder when they are going to offer a MCU3 upgrade that can play Witcher 3 like the new model S 🤪

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60 and MP3Mike
Yup, this ^^^^
I believe I paid $130 and lucked out that they sold them to me as part of the invoice for the MCU upgrade when the car was in the shop. When I followed up afterward to try and buy the triple cam, they said no, since they are restricted parts and can't be sold without Tesla doing the installation.

The fender cameras are funny since they look so simple with just two clips, but they're really in there. They may feel a little wobbly, but once you get the clips undone and start to rotate them out of the fender, they get wedged in place really tight. A mobile tech told me he unclips the bottom, then uses something to sharply bang down on the top to free the top clips. But you have to be careful not to slip and dent the fender. Definitely remove the wires before trying to take the camera out. I snapped the connector on one of my old cameras while trying to wrangle it out - it was very fragile.

Is this new? If you have AP2 or 2.5 then its $500 more:
Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation. This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles.

I wonder when they are going to offer a MCU3 upgrade that can play Witcher 3 like the new model S 🤪
Ahhhhh now it makes sense. They were telling me that the upgrade price had increased, but they would honor the $1,500 price based on the date that I created the service appointment. I thought it was crazy talk, since the page still showed $1,500 at the time, but it looks like the price did in fact increase. :(

I'm guessing this must have something to do with the AP1 cars not having to get the FSD computer included, whereas they seem to be including the FSD computer on all AP2.0/2.5 MCU upgrades. Maybe they originally expected the majority of upgrade business would come from the AP1 cars.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
One should use blue painter's tape around the outside of the camera to reduce the chance of chipping paint. Slip the painter's tape under the edge of the camera as close to the "hole" as possible. Peel the tape off after the new camera is in.

And its also a good idea if DIY, to wait until you have a firmware ready to install. There's a deployment action that is sometimes necessary for the car to recognize the new camera. Timing the swap with a ready to install firmware insures completing all at one time.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
...I'm guessing this must have something to do with the AP1 cars not having to get the FSD computer included, whereas they seem to be including the FSD computer on all AP2.0/2.5 MCU upgrades. Maybe they originally expected the majority of upgrade business would come from the AP1 cars.
Does that make sense though? AP2.0/2.5 cars came with a Auto Pilot Engine (APE), regardless. Replacing the older APE with HW3 APE on non-FSD cars, is a choice that Tesla is making, not a request made by the owner. So, if Tesla is deciding to do that, why the $500 increase and give the owner no choice for non-AP and AP1 cars? And - the promise was made two+ years ago that FSD owners would get HW3 for free, so why the $500 increase also on these cars?

Does that make sense though? AP2.0/2.5 cars came with a Auto Pilot Engine (APE), regardless. Replacing the older APE with HW3 APE on non-FSD cars, is a choice that Tesla is making, not a request made by the owner. So, if Tesla is deciding to do that, why the $500 increase and give the owner no choice for non-AP and AP1 cars? And - the promise was made two+ years ago that FSD owners would get HW3 for free, so why the $500 increase also on these cars?
I think the safest best is for us to stop trying to make any sense out of Tesla's wild ass pricing and feature changes lol.

Reactions: Akikiki
And - the promise was made two+ years ago that FSD owners would get HW3 for free, so why the $500 increase also on these cars?

There is no increase for people that paid for FSD. If you have paid for FSD then you would get the AP3 computer retrofitted, for free, and would no longer have AP 2/2.5 to fall in to the higher priced upgrade bucket.

I guess that means if you want to add MCU2 and FSD and haven't already paid for FSD, if you pay for FSD first you get a $500 discount on the total upgrade cost.

Last edited:
I think the safest best is for us to stop trying to make any sense out of Tesla's wild ass pricing and feature changes lol.

Very true.

My only guess it that MCU2 gives way more value to a car with AP2+ than it does with AP1 (or none). I wonder if you could use a loop hole to get the AP2+ -> AP3 upgrade and keep the MCU1, then go back in a week later to get the MCU2 upgrade for $500 cheaper. Still makes no sense like I quoted though 🤡

The fun thing is the updated page with the $2K price for AP2/2.5 cars doesn't tell you what it costs if you already have HW3, or if you have an AP1 car. I mean, it tells you all cars built before March 2018 are eligible, then tells you your price is $2000 if your hardware is *currently* AP2/2.5, but no prices outside that configuration. One has to intuit the price must be different or else they wouldn't have listed the current HW as important to pricing. (EDIT: Read below, I was mistaken)

If Tesla is charging less for cars with HW3, then they appear to be exposing themselves to the fact that "All Tesla Cars are delivered with the hardware needed for FSD" is not true and is costing customers which bought against that promise at least $500. If they are only charging less for AP1 cars, they are probably safe as they can argue that was somehow easier to install.

Last edited:
The fun thing is the updated page with the $2K price for AP2/2.5 cars doesn't tell you what it costs if you already have HW3, or if you have an AP1 car. I mean, it tells you all cars built before March 2018 are eligible, then tells you your price is $2000 if your hardware is *currently* AP2/2.5, but no prices outside that configuration.
Sure it does. It says everything else costs $1,500.

This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen.

Sure it does. It says everything else costs $1,500.
Wow, thanks, I looked at it 3 times and missed that. So yes, they are telling you that HW3 is $1500 ("all other vehicles".). Hence. Tesla is pretty much directly charging you for the FSD computer. The one that is supposed to already be in your car.

Life pro tip: Wait for FSD subscription to exist. Subscribe for one period. Get HW3 upgrade for free. Then do MCU upgrade.

Life pro tip: Wait for FSD subscription to exist. Subscribe for one period. Get HW3 upgrade for free. Then do MCU upgrade.

I'm not sure it will work like that. There have been rumors of up to a $1,500 "install" charge for the FSD subscription. Also, one period could be 12 months, and if it is $200/month you would be paying $2,400 to try to save $500. It really comes down to: do you want FSD or not? If you do, get it before the MCU2 upgrade to save money, otherwise it doesn't matter.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There have been rumors of up to a $1,500 "install" charge for the FSD subscription.
As long as that applies no matter what HW you have. If that only applies to people with HW2/2.5, then they are shooting themselves in the foot by once again defining a specific cost that you incurred due to their misleading advertising.
Plus, even the subscription is a rumor at this point, so not sure I'd believe anything about supposed costs. The only "rumor" I can find is you mentioning that was a rumor a few months ago. Where did you get that rumor?

I'm sure there is a class action lawyer salivating at the idea that Tesla is going to charge to upgrade hardware in cars that were advertised as "includes all hardware needed for FSD."

I have a 2016 Model S with Ap2 and Mcu1. I opened a service ticket on March 26th and am scheduled to get the screen replaced today. I thought for sure it would get postponed waiting for parts but it looks like I am dropping off today. Service center is north of Milwaukee wi. Price $2,000.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
I have a 2016 Model S with Ap2 and Mcu1. I opened a service ticket on March 26th and am scheduled to get the screen replaced today. I thought for sure it would get postponed waiting for parts but it looks like I am dropping off today. Service center is north of Milwaukee wi. Price $2,000.
Does that include FM radio? I got the upgrade just last week on my AP1 P85D @ $1,500.

Here's an article about the recent price change to $2000 instead of $1500 for many vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I’m being charged $2k for the MCU2 upgrade although my X already had FSD computer (and package) at time of the MCU upgrade. (Stop sign/stop lights, etc and said Full Self Driving Computer on the screen.

The Tesla website mentions all AP 2.0 and 2.5 are $2,000 and all others are $1,500. They’re saying because mine was originally a AP 2.5 it costs $2,000.

Any input on this?