Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still trying to figure out what Tesla is going to do about cars with MCU1/AP3 who have purchased FSD. At this point I would settle for a full refund w/interest and penalty. I might also be persuaded to accept a heavily discounted MCU2. But the status quo is unacceptable and my patience is about to expire. The fact that we no longer get updates says it all.

• Funny
Reactions: Vagus and ABC2D
I'm still trying to figure out what Tesla is going to do about cars with MCU1/AP3 who have purchased FSD. At this point I would settle for a full refund w/interest and penalty. I might also be persuaded to accept a heavily discounted MCU2. But the status quo is unacceptable and my patience is about to expire. The fact that we no longer get updates says it all.
I thought you FSD folks would get MCU3

Then what causes the delays seen in MCU1/AP3 cars? An example being, if a car juts out into an intersection my car will react to that 50 yards or more down the road. If this isn't MCU related, then what is it? And why did Tesla stop updating our cars?? In about 3 months it's going to be a year!!
During the transition to real FSD, meaning level 4 or 5, Tesla is providing fancy visualization, fancier than MCU1 is capable of handling smoothly. It's not really necessary, but it makes humans more comfortable about what the car is doing. Once the car can drive itself, there's not much point in providing the human occupants of the vehicle with any details, no more than occupants of a bus are provided with detailed information about what's on the road and how the bus is managing to navigate it. MCU1 will be perfectly adequate.

During the transition to real FSD, meaning level 4 or 5, Tesla is providing fancy visualization, fancier than MCU1 is capable of handling smoothly. It's not really necessary, but it makes humans more comfortable about what the car is doing. Once the car can drive itself, there's not much point in providing the human occupants of the vehicle with any details, no more than occupants of a bus are provided with detailed information about what's on the road and how the bus is managing to navigate it. MCU1 will be perfectly adequate.

#nope

The FSD computer maybe. MCU1? Not a chance.

• Disagree
Reactions: plumazul and ABC2D
What are you imagining MCU1 will have to do once FSD really drives the car?

I completely agree that the visualizations and eye candy are not necessary for FSD but even a relatively straightforward thing like setting navigation/plotting a route/recalculating causes MCU1 to stumble at times. I would suspect these things are critical for FSD to function properly.

Quick analogy: In 2011, I purchased a Dodge Journey which at the time had a high end nav system in it and worked very well. Last year I replaced that Journey with a new model which has updated software but still the same head unit in terms of processing power. The end result is I now have car that if I miss a turn while using nav, it takes upwards of 90 seconds to reroute me. If I am in an unfamiliar area, I am sometimes better off pulling over to the side of the road to wait for the nav to catch up.

I completely agree that the visualizations and eye candy are not necessary for FSD but even a relatively straightforward thing like setting navigation/plotting a route/recalculating causes MCU1 to stumble at times. I would suspect these things are critical for FSD to function properly.

Quick analogy: In 2011, I purchased a Dodge Journey which at the time had a high end nav system in it and worked very well. Last year I replaced that Journey with a new model which has updated software but still the same head unit in terms of processing power. The end result is I now have car that if I miss a turn while using nav, it takes upwards of 90 seconds to reroute me. If I am in an unfamiliar area, I am sometimes better off pulling over to the side of the road to wait for the nav to catch up.
The analogy isn't useful because your Tesla has software updates, so it's always subject to being improved. I think the reason it is laggy now is because they still have a bunch of FSD visualization and other code there. They have not put in the effort to clean it up, as it's on nobody's critical path. Once FSD drives the car, I think they'll just get rid of a bunch of obsolete visualization code on every MCU. The cleanup will speed things up significantly.

Things like navigation and reboot will certainly remain slow on MCU1, but I doubt they will be anywhere near as bad as "unusable". If they are unusable, then Tesla should replace the hardware for free.

I paid for the new MCU upgrade. In fact I paid for it when it was at its highest price, shortly before they dropped it by $1000. My reasoning was that even if they eventually gave it away for nothing, that meanwhile I'd be living with a laggy and annoying system. Getting the improvements *now* made it worthwhile. Even though I don't get most of the benefits since I have no interest in playing games and such.

I believe that only a lawsuit will force Tesla to do anything about this. Instead of pursuing legal action I gave in and bought MCU2 when the price dropped to $1500. It was no longer enjoyable to drive the car with MCU1 with all the issues even after we got the eMMC replaced under warranty before the warranty extension program was announced.
I paid for the new MCU upgrade. In fact I paid for it when it was at its highest price, shortly before they dropped it by $1000. My reasoning was that even if they eventually gave it away for nothing, that meanwhile I'd be living with a laggy and annoying system. Getting the improvements *now* made it worthwhile. Even though I don't get most of the benefits since I have no interest in playing games and such.
My reasoning was similar. We could have continued to wait or tried to pursue legal action against Tesla over the failure to deliver promised FSD to MCU1 cars, but that wouldn't guarantee anything other than more time living with MCU1 which had really ruined our enjoyment of the car. So within a few weeks of the $1500 price announcement we booked our appointment & got MCU2. Our first MCU2 unit was defective so it had to be replaced again less than a month after we got it. So our MCU2 experience was fairly rocky. It's not flawless, but it's much better than MCU1. We also don't play games with it, but we appreciate the fast navigation routing, working voice commands (especially for text replies), and a functional web browser which we use at least once a week.
Then what causes the delays seen in MCU1/AP3 cars? An example being, if a car juts out into an intersection my car will react to that 50 yards or more down the road. If this isn't MCU related, then what is it? And why did Tesla stop updating our cars?? In about 3 months it's going to be a year!!
Isn't this radar related? This has improved with subsequent updates we've received with MCU2/AP3, but it still isn't gone completely. For ppl with Tesla Vision cars there are some YouTube videos indicating that this is resolved with Tesla Vision. However, if your MCU1/AP3 car is no longer receiving updates you may never receive the eventual update that turns off the radar in our cars with radar.

Reactions: plumazul
...if your MCU1/AP3 car is no longer receiving updates you may never receive the eventual update that turns off the radar in our cars with radar.
On the topic of radar, I remember the catchy claim that a Tesla will bounce a radar under the car in front of you to see two cars ahead. I had assumed that none of that processing happens on the MCU1 and that HW3 and HW4 would be just as capable of providing such a benefit, except that radar got removed. I thought maybe the radar info resides on the CANBus and talks to HW2+ directly.

But then I checked the dates. The electrek article is a month before AP2.0 HW2. Did this bouncing radar under the car exist on MobileEye as well? Or was Musk just talking about future features?

BTW - Opinion: MCU2/3 and AP3 are not going to be the final units when FSD finally happens. I think they are still a minimum of 6 months away, perhaps 2 yrs.
And by FSD, I mean taking a nap/reading a book/or simply not paying attention to the road (perhaps no steering wheel), and certainly not a beta status.
I would think AP5 and MCU3/4/5 would be released when that happens, meaning this isn't the end of the road.

BTW - Opinion: MCU2/3 and AP3 are not going to be the final units when FSD finally happens.
Of course they aren't. Tesla is already talking about HW4.

I think they are still a minimum of 6 months away, perhaps 2 yrs.
And by FSD, I mean taking a nap/reading a book/or simply not paying attention to the road (perhaps no steering wheel), and certainly not a beta status.
I don't think even Elon thinks it's only 2 years away now. Auto Wipers have been in beta since 2017!

On the topic of radar, I remember the catchy claim that a Tesla will bounce a radar under the car in front of you to see two cars ahead.
That claim was literally on the Tesla.com/autopilot page from 2016-2021 until they deleted radar from only the 3/Y and removed it. It was also a big part of the blog post Tesla had "seeing the world in radar" until they removed only that blog post from their archives when they deleted radar from only the 3/Y.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear