Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend has a MS 85D with AP1 and scheduled an MCU2 upgrade. The quote shows INFOTAINMENT UPGRADE WITHOUT REPLACEMENT TOUCHSCREEN (1615251-00-A) at a cost of $1500. He questioned whether the screen should be changed on the chat and Tesla's response was no, the display is a separate part from the new infotainment hardware.

Is this a recent change or is the service writer unfamiliar?

Dashcam. That's what brought it to its knees. But yeah, map imagery probably didn't help.
We got HW3 before MCU2, Dashcam & SentryMode kind of worked, but not really. We couldn't view videos in the car & we often found that videos were very choppy & grainy. With MCU2 we haven't seen those issues, although even with MCU2 the playback in the car is not very reliable.
My friend has a MS 85D with AP1 and scheduled an MCU2 upgrade. The quote shows INFOTAINMENT UPGRADE WITHOUT REPLACEMENT TOUCHSCREEN (1615251-00-A) at a cost of $1500. He questioned whether the screen should be changed on the chat and Tesla's response was no, the display is a separate part from the new infotainment hardware.

Going back months there had been an option to skip the touchscreen to save money. Perhaps now they are excluding the center touchscreen. They'll do anything they can to save money.

My MCU2 upgrade in February included a new touchscreen but it is the same as the old screen and there was no problem with the old one so they could have kept it.
They may have decided to keep the old screen when it doesn't need replacement. Will save money.

My AP1 car with MCU1 was upgraded with 2 new screens and MCU2 for $1.500.
It sounds like Tesla is once again $crewing the customer and moving the goalposts.

Thanks for everyone's input. So in true Tesla fashion, they backtracked after my friend explicitly stated he has a 2015 85D with AP1 and that he knows people who got both screens replaced.

They apologized for the confusion and changed the estimate with a new line item of MCU Upgrade (1582613-00-A).

Thanks for everyone's input. So in true Tesla fashion, they backtracked after my friend explicitly stated he has a 2015 85D with AP1 and that he knows people who got both screens replaced.

They apologized for the confusion and changed the estimate with a new line item of MCU Upgrade (1582613-00-A).
For the same price of $1500? That's pretty sneaky if Tesla is now not replacing the screen for the $1500 unless someone makes a fuss about it.

Reactions: FlatSix911
For the same price of $1500? That's pretty sneaky if Tesla is now not replacing the screen for the $1500 unless someone makes a fuss about it.
We don't know that this is a new policy or if it was just an error.
The new center screen is identical to the old one so there is no reason to replace it if it isn't defective. Replacing the screen just creates more electronic waste and costs.
As far as price, this used to cost $2500, now $1500.

I thought you needed at least AP2.5.
Can confirm I have AP 2.5 and MCU1 and I have dashcam. Having said that I think MCU2 makes is much more usable. I am going to get the update too. I got a used 2017 from Tesla and got the HW3 upgrade when I got it (was included) so this upgrade will cost me 1.5K. I don’t want to pay the extra $500 for radio, I will just stream from my phone.

Can confirm I have AP 2.5 and MCU1 and I have dashcam. Having said that I think MCU2 makes is much more usable. I am going to get the update too. I got a used 2017 from Tesla and got the HW3 upgrade when I got it (was included) so this upgrade will cost me 1.5K. I don’t want to pay the extra $500 for radio, I will just stream from my phone.
IIRC, AP2.5 with MCU1 records from front camera and side repeaters. With MCU2, it will also record from the rear camera.

IIRC, AP2.5 with MCU1 records from front camera and side repeaters. With MCU2, it will also record from the rear camera.
We had AP2.0 with MCU1 and at that point we had no Sentry Mode. When we got HW3.0 with MCU1 we could see recordings from all 4 cameras, although the quality could be poor. We later added MCU2 & now the quality is improved. So if you have HW3.0 you don’t need MCU2 to record from all 4 cameras, you can with MCU1. If HW2.5 has limitations on cameras it would be a bit surprising to see them go away with MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We had AP2.0 with MCU1 and at that point we had no Sentry Mode. When we got HW3.0 with MCU1 we could see recordings from all 4 cameras, although the quality could be poor. We later added MCU2 & now the quality is improved. So if you have HW3.0 you don’t need MCU2 to record from all 4 cameras, you can with MCU1. If HW2.5 has limitations on cameras I don’t imagine they will go away with MCU2.
We never had HW3 and MCU1 combination so I didn't know that was possible. Thanks for that bit of info.

I can confirm we only had sentry mode with AP2/MCU1. We also had dashcam and sentry with 3 cameras with AP2.5/MCU1. With HW3/MCU2, we had dashcam and sentry recording with 4 cameras.

Reactions: jlv1