Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may not be the techs at all. It is easy to forget that not all Model S’s and X’s are the same. My P85D is an oddball in that it had to have the battery pack changed, but was assigned a 90kWh pack. It fit physically, but they had to retrofit an awful lot of firmware on subsystems to get it to work - three days in Nashville. When I had my MCU replaced (before recall, but under CPO warranty) it took two extra days to get the software to take (in Indy). When it came time for the MCU upgrade, I was surprised that it was done same day considering the Frankenstein nature of my P85/90D. Configuration management must be really valued at Tesla. It is not easy and with the current chip shortage, their configuration management expertise has allowed them to dance lightly swapping in alternatives like no other manufacturer.

That's what happens when you build your software to be modular. Your car has a configuration file that tells which modules are installed. That data tells it which firmware chunks to grab whenever it downloads a new firmware bundle, and which software modules to load so that it can communicate with that particular module, what UI features to enable/disable, etc. You pretty much have to do that when you have so many possible configurations.

I think that's actually pretty typical for car manufacturers. For example, when I got a replacement rear electronics module for my '99 Windstar, I found that there were dozens of almost identical part numbers, and they were all identical hardware with different firmware. They literally used a single body controller for dozens of different configurations (multiple models of car, multiple body styles with different features, etc.), and they used firmware to configure which light was connected to a given output, which sensor was connected to a given input, etc. So you had to pick one from the right model of car so you got the right firmware (unless you had the tools to re-flash it), but still, it was generic hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
That's what happens when you build your software to be modular. Your car has a configuration file that tells which modules are installed. That data tells it which firmware chunks to grab whenever it downloads a new firmware bundle, and which software modules to load so that it can communicate with that particular module, what UI features to enable/disable, etc. You pretty much have to do that when you have so many possible configurations.

I think that's actually pretty typical for car manufacturers. For example, when I got a replacement rear electronics module for my '99 Windstar, I found that there were dozens of almost identical part numbers, and they were all identical hardware with different firmware. They literally used a single body controller for dozens of different configurations (multiple models of car, multiple body styles with different iifeatures, etc.), and they used firmware to configure which light was connected to a given output, which sensor was connected to a given input, etc. So you had to pick one from the right model of car so you got the right firmware (unless you had the tools to re-flash it), but still, it was generic hardware.
Would have been easier for them to have one controller with a configuration file for your car. But they probably don't have the software skills to field install this.

Would have been easier for them to have one controller with a configuration file for your car. But they probably don't have the software skills to field install this.
If you mean Ford, I think I remember reading that they actually provide a firmware flasher to their dealerships that can program the body controllers for a particular car based on its VIN, because that reduces their parts inventory requirements. But don't quote me on that. :)

question for those of you who have already had the MCU2 upgrade done - did anyone's upgrade take more than a day for Tesla to complete?

brought my AP1 70D into service for the MCU2 infotainment upgrade first thing yesterday am - apparently hardware installation went fine but they ran into trouble updating the firmware (I was warned at drop off time they've run into that sort of problem before with other MCU2 upgrades). So they kept the car overnight aiming for completion by end of today. But now late day2 they're still having problems and need to keep the car a 2nd night, hopefully finished tomorrow. Apparently the firmware update takes several hours but then quits/fails and they have to start over; as mentioned they said they've seen this before

is a common issue with the MCU2 upgrade?
did you get it back on day 3? it took them 2 days on mine. is your back up cam dark at night?

Update, got the upgrade done now have MCU2 up and running been living with it for only about a day and a half but I can tell you my first impressions based on my use case scenario of the car is save your money. The only thing it does better is that it's faster to respond and the browser works. Those are the only things that it seems to have over and above my original MCU. All of the games and video capabilities and Netflix and so forth are useless because I'm not a gamer or a movie watcher. So the cost benefit for me is negligible. If I had not had a compelling reason to replace my screens in the first place ( my instrument cluster had failed and was bubbling and leaking the gooey mess all over the place) if I hadn't already done so when I had the emmc failure corrected I likely would have just opted for a $250 LTE upgrade to sidestep the fact that 3G is going to sunset fairly soon and kept rolling. But that's just my opinion based on someone my age in my use case scenario with my interests.

Also I noticed now that the two screens are paired with the same processor the instrument cluster cannot work independently of the center screen if the center screen is off so is the instrument cluster they cannot be independently controlled anymore. Not sure what the ramifications of that will be but I guess I'll find out.

I did not lose all of my settings as has been mentioned earlier in this thread all of my profiles media settings and so forth all were extracted from my existing unit and dumped into the new one. The only things that it had to re-learn where my cell phones and my homelink. Everything else ported from one to the other.

The resolution in the instrument cluster seems a little bit better or on par with the center screen it is not as grainy as the original cluster that is an improvement. Much nicer view for progressive bifocals 🤣

The web browser is probably the biggest improvement of the entire upgrade that is of any relevance or usefulness to me personally. It now is a full-on browser and works as any other meaning that I can also log into websites and stream music through the browser, that wasn't possible before probably because of processing speed and just the inability of the browser (or system) to keep up with anything.

Also I made the jump from 2020. xx software to my first update that is 2021.xx so finally running software that was released in the year that I'm living in. 🤣

Also keep in mind my car is pre AP. So there were no benefits to be gained there. At the end of the day in a situation such as the one I was in if I had a pre autopilot car with a working MCU one that had had the emmc chip upgrade and the LTE upgrade I think I would just roll with it until I had a reason not to. 1500 bucks is pretty steep to not really solve any problems other than make your screen respond a little faster and give you a bunch of more games and video capability. Ymmv.

Sorry for rambling so long just my opinions. Take it for what it's worth.. that and $100 might get you a cup of coffee
I totally agree those games are for kids and most are from the 70's-80's I guess if your into movies you can watch as your parked supercharging wouldn't go sit in car just to use. did you notice if your back up camera is dark at night?

Reactions: Wanderer
I totally agree those games are for kids and most are from the 70's-80's I guess if your into movies you can watch as your parked supercharging wouldn't go sit in car just to use. did you notice if your back up camera is dark at night?

No I haven't noticed any difference in the backup camera but I think that was solved via a software update prior to my upgrade so I would imagine I was just preloaded with a software version that alleviated that problem from the beginning.

did you get it back on day 3? it took them 2 days on mine. is your back up cam dark at night?
Yes I got my car back at end of day 3, they apparently had to reload the firmware several times before it would “take”. Have not noticed any difference in camera brightness but as tccartier mentioned above I too seem to recall hearing there was some update a while back that fixed that problem experienced with early MCU2 upgrades.

What I mean here is the car's eMMC is beginning to fail. Not being able to download a new update is one of the signs its failing. There's more than a dozen signals that the eMMC is failing. There's several threads on the subject.

Yes, maybe Tesla is withholding updates to some cars. But I don't know how any of us would know that. Anything is possible. But you've not offered any explanation or swag as to why Tesla would withhold an update if the car's hardware was capable of using it, and it was not in the "we are not pushing FSD-Beta to ya" category.

Long before FSD was sometimes rolling out, and before my upgrade to MCU2, I had many false starts for an OTA update. My car would get to 40-44% and simply stop downloading. Nothing would help, start, restart, - complete a download. During the 1+ year this was happening, I had occasion to be at the SC, and they too could not get a new update to load either via OTA or from a laptop. All this was before a eMMC update/replacement was possible. These problems and visits to the SC gave me a chance to discuss what was happening on the car and why. As I already said here, this was before what was recognized by both owners and Tesla techs as a failing eMMC. Time frame was late '18 and beginning of '19.

What I mean here is the car's eMMC is beginning to fail. Not being able to download a new update is one of the signs its failing. There's more than a dozen signals that the eMMC is failing. There's several threads on the subject.

Yes, maybe Tesla is withholding updates to some cars. But I don't know how any of us would know that. Anything is possible. But you've not offered any explanation or swag as to why Tesla would withhold an update if the car's hardware was capable of using it, and it was not in the "we are not pushing FSD-Beta to ya" category.

Because a regional service manager told me so. He wouldn't say why, but we certainly can conjecture a few obvious reasons. (e.g. the situation with the eMMC is so fragile they don't want to brick any cars, or MCU1 can just no longer run the updates, my Nav system barely functions)

Long before FSD was sometimes rolling out, and before my upgrade to MCU2, I had many false starts for an OTA update. My car would get to 40-44% and simply stop downloading. Nothing would help, start, restart, - complete a download. During the 1+ year this was happening, I had occasion to be at the SC, and they too could not get a new update to load either via OTA or from a laptop. All this was before a eMMC update/replacement was possible. These problems and visits to the SC gave me a chance to discuss what was happening on the car and why. As I already said here, this was before what was recognized by both owners and Tesla techs as a failing eMMC. Time frame was late '18 and beginning of '19.
Tesla could not identify the problem back in 2018? but yet they are the ones who designed the car to use that firmware and hardware. I'm sure Elon had have know he was writing codes for games when he was 15. just goes to show how knowledgeable or lack there of Tesla Service techs are.

Tesla could not identify the problem back in 2018? but yet they are the ones who designed the car to use that firmware and hardware. I'm sure Elon had have know he was writing codes for games when he was 15. just goes to show how knowledgeable or lack there of Tesla Service techs are.
Oops, let's cover that again. Of course, I don't know, we don't know what Elon knew. I didn't say that Tesla could not identify the problem. My point we could not get a clear confirmation from Tesla that a problem was developing. It was early in 2018 that 3rd party eMMC Fixers were pulling the board, copying software off, installing a new chip, and copying software back on. Tesla was not doing this. Even though the S was six years old, there were no refurbished MCU1's. The first people out of warranty that had "bad" eMMCs, were charged $4,000+ to replace the current MCU1 with a new MCU1, because there was nothing else. Some of us have been following and tracking details on this for a long time.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
My music on slacker finishes only about every third song. Most of the time it gets interrupted and goes to the next song.
I'm on HW1 and MCU1 - 2015 S.
Do people still have that issue, or is it just HW1 and MCU1 people?
It's gotten a lot worse in the last 3 months.

Oops, let's cover that again. Of course, I don't know, we don't know what Elon knew. I didn't say that Tesla could not identify the problem. My point we could not get a clear confirmation from Tesla that a problem was developing. It was early in 2018 that 3rd party eMMC Fixers were pulling the board, copying software off, installing a new chip, and copying software back on. Tesla was not doing this. Even though the S was six years old, there were no refurbished MCU1's. The first people out of warranty that had "bad" eMMCs, were charged $4,000+ to replace the current MCU1 with a new MCU1, because there was nothing else. Some of us have been following and tracking details on this for a long time.

My music on slacker finishes only about every third song. Most of the time it gets interrupted and goes to the next song.
did you get your eMMC upgraded?

Yes, it is. Take a look at this thread. Read the first post. It gets updated frequently. In the list of what to "is not right", you might see other signs that yours has. The buffering issue was not limited to just Slacker. It also occurred with Tune In. A few of the non-Tesla people doing eMMC analysis believed much of the buffering problem started with people loading large flash drives with thousands of songs. The problem was each time the drive was plugged in, the car had to re-index all the songs. And that index was extremely large in data demand.

Your 2015 S, was one of the years that had the most failures of all eMMCs. The percent of failures was greater on 2015 than any other year. You want to know more of the history? Check out this article. MCU1 Flash Memory Analysis and Failures – TeslaTap Teslatap and I worked on the stats for a long time to collect enough info to draw these conclusions. Our numbers were best guesses, because we were not privy to Tesla repairs. But we spent time contacting 3rd party fixers in the U.S., Canada and Europe to collect the counts we came up with. I maintained a list of more than two dozen 3rd party fixers and connected/helped people find a local repair when Tesla was not doing repairs for parts shortages. Once Tesla accepted the responsibility and began eMMC/MCU1 replacements under warranty, we stopped tracking down the sampling we had been compiling.

I try to not blame every fault, error, or odd thing that happens on a Tesla S/X on a failing eMMC. But over the past few years there's no denying that many of the bad stuff happening to MCU1 cars were fixed with a eMMC replacement. Up until Feb 2020, and still read many, I had read every thread on eMMC or MCU1 issues posted on TMC and TM. More than a few, I had to use Chrome's translator to read threads from European countries. There are some very smart non-Tesla folks that are brilliant at fixing a Tesla. Many of them are TMC members. Many of them pop their heads up and post when they have time. I wish I could say, I am one, but I am not.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash

Yes, maybe Tesla is withholding updates to some cars. But I don't know how any of us would know that.

I have gotten multiple updates on my MCU1 HW3 car since the start of 2021 — IRC, 2021.48.37.2, 2021.48.37.3, 2021.48.37.4, and 2021.48.37.6. These cars aren't failing to get updates. They're getting updated. The updates are just branched from a really, really old baseline version. And this is affecting every single car with MCU1 and HW3, but doesn't appear to affect any cars with MCU1 and HW1 (non-upgradable to HW3), which are all much older than anything with MCU1 and HW3.

So this has nothing whatsoever to do with eMMC wear. There is a small possibility that it is caused by eMMC *size*, of course.

I don't know why they aren't pushing current firmware revisions to MCU1, but my guess is that they haven't figured out a way to optimize the code enough that the city driving code doesn't bring MCU1 to its knees. My strong suspicion is that they will end up replacing MCU1 with MCU2 for FSD users before this is all over. It's probably way cheaper to do that than to spend resources trying to support city driving on MCU1. Expect the price of FSD to jump way up when they make that decision, though, and expect them to drag their heels as long as they can get away with it, because everyone who pays for the MCU2 upgrade right now is one more upgrade that Tesla won't have to pay for later. :)

I have that issue on a 2017 MCU that was replaced in 2019 under warranty. I suspect it is eMMC related as well.

Reactions: Akikiki