Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens to the outstanding eMMC recall service item to be performed (that shows up under the app service tab) after the MCU2 upgrade? It will stay there or the SC deletes it?
It will no longer be applicable to your car after MCU2 upgrade so disappears as an open recall.

emmc.jpg

I just visualized the entire thing as a $2000 upgrade. :). I was in all or none mode.

Definitely the way to go although I rarely use FM or XM so I can see the use case for not doing it.

Are you saying that the FM tuner is digital only? Or do you just mean that there is no AM tuner but there could be an analog FM signal tuner that is digitized before being sent over the bus to the amp?

I believe the FM tuner in the MCU2 is digital only. For the MCU1, I am not sure.

…I believe the FM tuner in the MCU2 is digital only. For the MCU1, I am not sure.
There is no analog connection between the tuner and amp in either MCU. I’ll be surprised if the tuner is digital only as my non Tesla vehicles drop in and out of digital coverage and fallback to analog in areas where I drive. I don’t notice any dropouts in the Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
If you have premium connectivity, which most older cars do, the FM antenna is not that critical. I can get most radio stations using TuneIn for live broadcasts.
What about live sports? I haven't tried it lately, but I know that in the past the streaming services could not broadcast live sports transmissions from local radio stations. The stations would instead have to send alternate programming to the streaming service.

What about live sports? I haven't tried it lately, but I know that in the past the streaming services could not broadcast live sports transmissions from local radio stations. The stations would instead have to send alternate programming to the streaming service.
I have listened to live college sports, mostly UVA basketball, football and lacrosse streaming from the local radio station using Tune In. Not sure I've even tried professional sports. Oh, I did listen to the Master's broadcast live using the Masters app on my phone.

Sorry if this has already been posted here, but I’m unable to use the search facility of the forum for the invoice attachments without going through all 380 pages!

I've an upcoming appointment for MCU2 upgrade without the $500 radio option. What are the correct part numbers I should expect to see on my invoice?

My car info is per my signature.

Thanks again.

If you have premium connectivity, which most older cars do, the FM antenna is not that critical. I can get most radio stations using TuneIn for live broadcasts.
Besides not being true for those whose stations are not on TuneIn or will stop being on TuneIn, this is also not true for those whose stations ARE on TuneIn but who live and drive in areas of poor or intermittent connectivity. Also, Drive In movies? National Park broadcasts? Not for everyone, but important for some.

Imagine if car designers living in Southern California designed cars that couldn’t use winter tires because they’d never seen snow. Or those with small families never designed five, six or seven seat cars?
…What are the correct part numbers I should expect to see on my invoice?…
Unlike other upgrades, like cameras, I don’t think we’ve ever seen the wrong tuner installed. Do you have an X or do you have an S? The part numbers are different.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been posted here, but I’m unable to use the search facility of the forum for the invoice attachments without going through all 380 pages!

I've an upcoming appointment for MCU2 upgrade without the $500 radio option. What are the correct part numbers I should expect to see on my invoice?

My car info is per my signature.

Thanks again.
If you don't do any other service and still have the emmc recall fix, then it is straight 1500 + tax.

Thanks so much.

Any idea what the difference is between the two parts?

Also, does the $1500 also come with the touchscreen replacement?
In fact, I've read in other forums that the main instrument cluster screen in S and X is also replaced. That is a little harder to tell since it's not something you directly touch and interact with. But mine certainly looked brighter and clearer, maybe more colorful than before. But I suppose that could just be the better computer rendering the graphics.

Reactions: ChrisJ and Droschke
In fact, I've read in other forums that the main instrument cluster screen in S and X is also replaced. That is a little harder to tell since it's not something you directly touch and interact with. But mine certainly looked brighter and clearer, maybe more colorful than before. But I suppose that could just be the better computer rendering the graphics.
Both screens are replaced as part of the upgrade. The old IC is different and not compatible with the new MCU. MCU1 has processors in the main unit and the IC while with the MCU2 the IC is just an external display. The main screen was optional in the past before the upgrade pricing was dropped and now it is included in the box.