Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ask whether they've got the cameras needed to do the full upgrade. I've not inquired into mine, but it's been a few months, and now with an impending trade-in it'll be up to Tesla or the next owner to get the work done.
Shock horror, within 24 hours of the service booking they confirmed that they didn’t have the parts to complete and so rescheduled the booking in 4 weeks time.

@viper2ko r2k, @hybridbear -

The issues you have mentioned must be due to the bad software updates I assume, and the MCU2 performance can't be worse than a sluggish old MCU1 with all widely reported side effects an owner is already struggling with. Am I not correct?
It's not really "bad" software so much as poorly optimized or even bloated software. Hardware and software go hand in hand. Your software can only develop so far until your hardware runs out of the ability to process it. That's a big reason why MCU1 is limited in terms of features and options. As they continue building out the software for MCU2 powered cars, it's only a matter of time before those become slow as well due to hardware limitations and then we'll have an MCU3, MCU4, etc. Given how long MCU2 has been out, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that we're starting to see some slowdown from that hardware as the software continues expanding. Especially as they develop more and more for future hardware.

It's not really "bad" software so much as poorly optimized or even bloated software. Hardware and software go hand in hand. Your software can only develop so far until your hardware runs out of the ability to process it. That's a big reason why MCU1 is limited in terms of features and options. As they continue building out the software for MCU2 powered cars, it's only a matter of time before those become slow as well due to hardware limitations and then we'll have an MCU3, MCU4, etc. Given how long MCU2 has been out, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that we're starting to see some slowdown from that hardware as the software continues expanding. Especially as they develop more and more for future hardware.

Agreed.

I wish they would offer user options to enable/disable the features. I would disable things like games, some streaming sources I don't use, etc.

Do you really anticipate newer MCU retrofits for the legacy cars?

Reactions: dbldwn02
I wish they would offer user options to enable/disable the features. I would disable things like games, some streaming sources I don't use, etc.
Software also doesn't work this way. Just because word is installed on your PC, doesn't mean it is doing anything until you run it. All of Tesla's functions are not running at the same time, and "disabling" them wouldn't do anything. If it did, why wouldn't Tesla just "disable" beach buggy racing until you launched it?

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Software also doesn't work this way. Just because word is installed on your PC, doesn't mean it is doing anything until you run it. All of Tesla's functions are not running at the same time, and "disabling" them wouldn't do anything. If it did, why wouldn't Tesla just "disable" beach buggy racing until you launched it?

Aren't all Android apps, for example, loaded and running in the background all the time? There is a disable or force stop for the apps.

Aren't all Android apps, for example, loaded and running in the background all the time? There is a disable or force stop for the apps.
Not at all. They can be written that way (like the Tesla app which needs to work as a key) but it's not a requirement nor the norm. The disable/force is there for things you don't want installed that the carrier forces on you, or something that misbehaves.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Not at all. They can be written that way (like the Tesla app which needs to work as a key) but it's not a requirement nor the norm. The disable/force is there for things you don't want installed that the carrier forces on you, or something that misbehaves.

So, Tesla apps are only installed but not loaded in memory and the Tesla bloatware, added after release by release, have no negative impact on the sluggishness of the system unless they are launched?

BTW, what's the size of Tesla's RAM? I suppose that physically it is separate from the eMMC which serves as storage?

Last edited:
So, Tesla apps are only installed but not loaded in memory and the Tesla bloatware, added after release by release, have no negative impact on the sluggishness of the system unless they are launched?

BTW, what's the size of Tesla's RAM? I suppose that physically it is separate from the eMMC which serves as storage?
Correct. The games may take eMMC space, but not loaded into memory or take any cpu unless launched.

But there are numerous examples of items that would slow things down. Each on their own very little, but taken as a whole….

Things like more car visualizations & Enhanced weather based trip planner come to mind as recent items.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the MCU 2 runs on an Intel Atom processor which is not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer in terms of performance.
Agree. It was an interesting choice, likely for the low power, but more likely for the lower cost. I really wish they spent the extra few dollars to get something zippy.
Disclaimer: I worked on the Atom processor.

likely for the low power, but more likely for the lower cost. I really wish they spent the extra few dollars to get something zippy.
Disclaimer: I worked on the Atom processor.
The Atom processor? There are over 200 different SKU's marketed as "Atom."
You're forgetting the two most important elements in Automotive, well in front of price: Environmental qualification, and long term support.
What processor would you have chosen in 2016 that had full auto qualifications?

Reactions: FlatSix911