Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla insurance advantage w/ expensive repairs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m wondering about Tesla comprehensive liability insurance in CA. The premiums are about $400 per year less than my current carrier; my question is about major frame and body panel damage: I’ve read other posts about massive damage estimates that fall short of totaling the vehicles, leaving owners worrying about whether their car repairs will leave them with a vehicle that is less than what they had before. Anyone have a guess as to whether Tesla might operate by either estimating total losses to the owners advantage or offering better repairs?

I’m wondering about Tesla comprehensive liability insurance in CA. The premiums are about $400 per year less than my current carrier; my question is about major frame and body panel damage: I’ve read other posts about massive damage estimates that fall short of totaling the vehicles, leaving owners worrying about whether their car repairs will leave them with a vehicle that is less than what they had before. Anyone have a guess as to whether Tesla might operate by either estimating total losses to the owners advantage or offering better repairs?
There have been lots of anecdotal reports of "expensive" repairs (and long waits for parts).
However, I don't think Teslas cost any more to repair than other cars. Tesla would know and having their own insurance will help control costs.

mspohr thanks for the response. One of my clients owns an auto body repair shop and just got Tesla certified - he's told me that the Tesla body is more expensive to repair due to the aluminum construction. Not so?
I think aluminum is more expensive since most body shops are used to working with steel. This is probably something that can be overcome with experience.

I think aluminum is more expensive since most body shops are used to working with steel. This is probably something that can be overcome with experience.

I’m close with 2 different body shop owners that are certified for work on Tesla’s and other luxury/super cars. Their prices have only gone up with inflation. Having experience and being known in the area to be one of the few with certifications only raises the price IMO, and this is not only with car repairs. I wouldn’t bring any expensive car to a regular mom and pop shop without any certification just because they’re cheaper. So, the ones that do can get away with charging more slowly.

Have you seen the estimates on Tesla’s for work that’s not just a simple bumper/headlight replacement? It’s the same or more expensive than any other luxury car.

That's good to know, KSilver2000. Crashes are obviously something no one intends or expects; hopefully I'll be as lucky with my T3 as I've been with 30+ years of lesser vehicles and never have one. And I think I'll still make huge efforts to park far away from most cars in a lot to avoid getting another door dings. Plus walking is good for me.