Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance Agent told me to cancel my policy?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be great, but no insurance company does that, nor likely ever will.
And no insurance company does the opposite either. The only reason Elon is on board with this stupid safety score insurance rate madness is because he knows it will raise rates for most drivers, giving Tesla more revenue. But if they fixed the algorithm and made it more tuned to real life driving situations then I could embrace it.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
determining a good driver from a bad driver with software.......I have heard it all now...lol
a good driver can react to the environment. So grandma gets a lower rate because she drives slow but right into a brick wall and the guy that swerves to avoid the brick wall gets hit with higher premiums because he didn't "smoothly" smoke the wall. I think the power is going to old Elons head. How bout this ELON, give everyone the same rate until they start hitting *sugar*. Why do I feel like I had more freedom when I was 5 yrs old, now every move I make is monitored and evaluated to conform to some rich dudes puppet strings for their own amusement...........a camera on the mirror watching me while I drive MY car.......yup, ask how fast I got rid of that

Reactions: Resist
How bout this ELON, give everyone the same rate until they start hitting *sugar*.
Elon explained this, he doesn't think people should be punished for their past performance if they have changed and their current performance is good.

But really, if you don't like the insurance product Tesla offers, don't buy it. (There are plenty of other alternatives on the market.) If nobody buys it, it is likely they would change it. But in general people seem to like the lower rates that Tesla provides.

Elon explained this, he doesn't think people should be punished for their past performance if they have changed and their current performance is good.

But really, if you don't like the insurance product Tesla offers, don't buy it. (There are plenty of other alternatives on the market.) If nobody buys it, it is likely they would change it. But in general people seem to like the lower rates that Tesla provides.
I am actually looking forward to tesla or any other available insurance. we only have icbc here in BC canada.....yup monopoly. Tesla will see a ton of policies here because frankly anything is better than what we currently have and BC has the highest per capita EV ownership in north America. I guess we'll see if they use the software to manipulate rates......ie: want to raise quarterly profits then just tweak the software to randomly lower safety scores to increase rates. Way to much power at ELONs fingertips......but of course the power will be used for good not evil :)

all I know is the tesla insurance situation better improve drastically. My MYP has been in the body shop for 4 months and counting for a relatively small repair 10K in damage with the same old excuse can't get parts, shipping, only one shop authorized to do tesla repair. My insurance company literally said to "that's what you get for buying a tesla"

My MYP has been in the body shop for 4 months and counting for a relatively small repair 10K in damage with the same old excuse can't get parts, shipping, only one shop authorized to do tesla repair.
I know right?! It's been how long since Elon said they were going to fix the service center issues yet nothing have been improved, if anything it's gotten worse. Guess Elon and Tesla are too focused on putting more games in our cars. At this point I won't buy another Tesla, now that the other manufactures are selling EV's.

The whole SS is just dumb. If AP is evaluated under SS, it will get a very low score. It encourages unsafe driving in certain situations to avoid points deduction, at the end it just encourages driver to use AP whenever possible to get a high score, which add another whole new level of attentions and anxieties, may be the whole thing is a scam to force people to use AP more. Customer services of Tesla across all products are the new the nada motto.
The main thing affecting your scores is going to be follow distance. Too many people follow too close and that's why I'm seeing a lot of customers come in that rear ended another car or got rear ended themselves. The program encourages safer driving through incentives. It's great because you don't have to pay for other people's poor driving habits like we do now under traditional insurance. The other nice thing is if you do crash claims and repairs will be faster thanks to taking it to Tesla Collision Centers and not going back and forth arguing about why the traditional insurance company won't pay for the full cost to repair properly.

Reactions: MP3Mike
The main thing affecting your scores is going to be follow distance. Too many people follow too close and that's why I'm seeing a lot of customers come in that rear ended another car or got rear ended themselves. The program encourages safer driving through incentives. It's great because you don't have to pay for other people's poor driving habits like we do now under traditional insurance. The other nice thing is if you do crash claims and repairs will be faster thanks to taking it to Tesla Collision Centers and not going back and forth arguing about why the traditional insurance company won't pay for the full cost to repair properly.
Depends on where you are and what road you are traveling on. In my area of truck corridor and high traffic interstate I35E and toll way, there are no ways to avoid F2C dings according to the rule. Most cars cut in others around 2-3 cars length, more than often just 1 car length. The only way to avoid this is using AP or not drive at all. In a fast traffic situation, the much slower car than all others are easier to cause accident.

The main thing affecting your scores is going to be follow distance.
When I was trying to get the FSD beta via the Safety Score, follow distance wasn't the main thing ruining my score. It was hard braking and aggressive turning. Both of which easily happen when someone stops suddenly and you have to brake and turn quickly. Doing a legal U-turn gives a ding for aggressive turning.

When I was trying to get the FSD beta via the Safety Score, follow distance wasn't the main thing ruining my score. It was hard braking and aggressive turning. Both of which easily happen when someone stops suddenly and you have to brake and turn quickly. Doing a legal U-turn gives a ding for aggressive turning.
Both easily avoidable by maintaining a proper 4 second follow distance and not flying around turns.

And what if they turned the score off and rated you as if your Safety Score was 100, until your ticket and accident record proved otherwise?

That would be great, but no insurance company does that, nor likely ever will.

These comments are at the heart of my resistance to monitored driving. I'm just not convinced that the monitoring is more predictive than a long history. If a long history is not available, e.g. a young driver, or a driver who has a substantial change in driving ability, or a driver whose traffic/accident record suggests an abrupt change in driving ability or accident risk -- then sure, use the monitoring data as the the next best thing.

I would be a lot more in favor of monitored driving if it did 3 things, and 3 things only:
Identified speeding
Identified speed adjusted tail-gaiting
Identified distracted driving from alcohol/drugs or telephone calls

Both easily avoidable by maintaining a proper 4 second follow distance and not flying around turns.
This is completely not true! When I was using the Safety Score trying to get the FSD beta, I never flew around corners and yet still was dinged. I don't seem to understand that the algorithm for the Safety Score is flawed because way too many people have complained how difficult it was to maintain a 100% score. All it takes is someone cutting you off or an animal running across the road to ding your score. And that's the problem, because those are things out of your control and you shouldn't end up with a higher premium one month for things that aren't your fault. That's the issue!

• Funny
I would be a lot more in favor of monitored driving if it did 3 things, and 3 things only:
Identified speeding
Identified speed adjusted tail-gaiting
Identified distracted driving from alcohol/drugs or telephone calls
It should identify measurable factors from the car sensors that indicate increased risk of a collision (i.e., a likely claim or at least claim dispute). Tesla has lots of data of collisions, and thus lots of data of the car sensors in the weeks/months prior to the collision. They should simply follow whatever the data predict: discount premiums for car sensor data that predicts low risk of claims, and price premiums accordingly for data that predicts high risk of claims.

Reactions: clydeiii