Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance Glass and GAP Coverage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Illinois and Tesla Insurance is now available, I have two questions I couldn't find answers to, hopefully, someone here can shed some light on this for me. I currently have these additional coverages:

1. "Safety glass coverage helps if your windshield, car windows, or headlight covers need repair. If you have this additional insurance, you don’t have to pay your Comprehensive coverage deductible".

2. "The Keeper® protects your new car if it’s totaled in an accident. If this happens, most insurance companies will only reimburse you for the current value of your car. With The Keeper, we’ll pay for a brand-new car, of the same make, and model. It applies to cars up to four model years old (three if you live in Georgia or Idaho). There are some other guidelines, and your deductible applies, so be sure to ask your rep about The Keeper". I guess this is what is known as GAP insurance.

My carrier is Country Financial here in Illinois and have been with them for over 30 years.

Thanks

I have Tesla Insurance, I was in a collision a year ago (pretty serious - airbags went off, car was not driveable). The at-fault party was able to flee the scene so I wasn't able to pursue their insurance and went through Tesla Insurance again.

I am not kidding when I say that that car still hasn't been repaired, after spending ~5 months at one body shop, ~3 months at a Tesla service center, ~5 months at another service center, with all pointing fingers at supply chain issues / eachother / misunderstandings / etc.

I absolutely fault the state of Tesla's parts inventory and the body shops involved, but I also fault Tesla Insurance for continuing to insist that this car is repairable and should not be totaled. I don't know if another, more conventional insurance company would be easier to work with / would have been willing to total the vehicle and give me a check for the replacement value, but overall I haven't been very pleased with Tesla Insurance's decision making.