Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance - Glass Coverage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having a hard time finding this information online. I currently have Amica as my insurance provider and they offer Full Glass Coverage, so if anything happens to the windshield or door glass it would be covered at no additional cost.

Does Tesla Insurance have similar glass coverage? Or would you have to pay the Comprehensive deductible?

Good question. I am with AAA and having to pay the deductible to get the roof repaired on my TM3 after a x-country road trip I just returned from. Would be nice to be with an insurance provider that covers glass. Or even better if Tesla offered Armor Glass replacement windshields and roof glass...

Was dealing with Tesla insurance, with a claim, ok?
Seriously thinking about moving from AAA to Tesla Insurance….same coverage, almost half the cost. I’m just worried about customer care / interaction.
Not the person you responded to but I had to deal with replacing my glass windshield 1.5 months ago using Tesla Insurance. Tesla outsources the work to a separate company called Crawford and co. The initial claim filing and getting stuff fixed was ok. The follow-up was terrible. I sent multiple emails and calls to my adjuster to get any update on running the plates of the party who caused the glass damage to see if I could recoup my comprehensive deductible back. She would not respond. I called her manager and she said that my initial adjuster was not on my case anymore and that the subrogation process would take 3-6 months. When asked if and when I would get any updates on that process, she said that the department does not provide updates until they close out the claim and they do not take calls from the insured. It's because they deal with 400-500 cases at a time. Apparently, the outsourced workers at Crawford and Co. are extremely overworked so if you have basic insurance needs then the experience will be fine but if you need anything more complicated, I would look elsewhere.

• Informative
Reactions: 3peat and Macbest
Not the person you responded to but I had to deal with replacing my glass windshield 1.5 months ago using Tesla Insurance. Tesla outsources the work to a separate company called Crawford and co. The initial claim filing and getting stuff fixed was ok. The follow-up was terrible. I sent multiple emails and calls to my adjuster to get any update on running the plates of the party who caused the glass damage to see if I could recoup my comprehensive deductible back. She would not respond. I called her manager and she said that my initial adjuster was not on my case anymore and that the subrogation process would take 3-6 months. When asked if and when I would get any updates on that process, she said that the department does not provide updates until they close out the claim and they do not take calls from the insured. It's because they deal with 400-500 cases at a time. Apparently, the outsourced workers at Crawford and Co. are extremely overworked so if you have basic insurance needs then the experience will be fine but if you need anything more complicated, I would look elsewhere.
I’ve long suspected this which is why the more attractive prices of Tesla insurance lost their appeal for me. I ended up going with Costco Connect insurance which was cheaper than Tesla insurance anyway so that seemed to be a no brainer. Thanks for sharing this first hand account of your experience.

I sent multiple emails and calls to my adjuster to get any update on running the plates of the party who caused the glass damage to see if I could recoup my comprehensive deductible back. She would not respond. I called her manager and she said that my initial adjuster was not on my case anymore and that the subrogation process would take 3-6 months.
I am just curious... why woudn't you just run the plates yourself? There are several websites that will tell you the VIN if you have the license plate, and there are several websites that will tell you owner / registrant information for any VIN.

Or you can just skip those two steps and buy a license plate lookup .

I am having a hard time finding this information online. I currently have Amica as my insurance provider and they offer Full Glass Coverage, so if anything happens to the windshield or door glass it would be covered at no additional cost.

Does Tesla Insurance have similar glass coverage? Or would you have to pay the Comprehensive deductible?

Claim Types​

To process your claim, Tesla needs to know the details of the claim, starting with the claim type, so it can identify the appropriate personnel to handle your claim. Below are information and examples of possible claims to help you determine what type of claim to submit. For full details of the coverage you selected, please refer to your policy documents in the Insurance section in the Tesla app.

Glass Only
As part of your Comprehensive (other than Collision) coverage, Tesla provides you with glass coverage for the repair or replacement of any damaged glass, including the windshield, side windows and rear window.

Accident or Collision
Collision coverage insures your vehicle from damage that is caused by a collision with another vehicle or stationary object or the unintentional rolling or flipping of the vehicle onto its roof or side.

Comprehensive
Separate from Glass coverage, Comprehensive coverage protects you from damage to, or loss of, your vehicle for any reason other than collision. Typical examples include damage from falling objects, fire and explosions, flood, natural disasters, animal damage, vandalism and theft. For such claims, please contact us at 1-844-34-TESLA.

Roadside
Roadside Assistance coverage provides you with tow assistance in case of any non-drivable situations, such as flat tires, lockouts, out-of-range or other unexpected breakdowns. To request roadside assistance, simply open the Tesla app and select ‘Roadside.’

• Informative
Reactions: mambro
Just had my windshield cracked by a rock and googled up this discussion. Does Tesla in fact fully cover the windshield replacement despite the possible headache? The only documentation I can see on my policy is $1000 deductible for collisions, but hell if I'm gonna pay that much for a windshield out of pocket with insurance.

Just had my windshield cracked by a rock and googled up this discussion. Does Tesla in fact fully cover the windshield replacement despite the possible headache? The only documentation I can see on my policy is $1000 deductible for collisions, but hell if I'm gonna pay that much for a windshield out of pocket with insurance.
You would have to pay the Comprehensive deductible to have your windshield replaced via Tesla Insurance.

I changed my deductible and it didn't end up costing me that much. Lowered it to zero dollars and I had to replace the roof and I got reimbursed for the entire cost. Which was good, because I just cracked the new one, so back to Tesla I go. I would prefer glass coverage, I don't usually need other insurance, and I am sure my current strategy costs me something extra every month

Claim Types​

To process your claim, Tesla needs to know the details of the claim, starting with the claim type, so it can identify the appropriate personnel to handle your claim. Below are information and examples of possible claims to help you determine what type of claim to submit. For full details of the coverage you selected, please refer to your policy documents in the Insurance section in the Tesla app.

Glass Only
As part of your Comprehensive (other than Collision) coverage, Tesla provides you with glass coverage for the repair or replacement of any damaged glass, including the windshield, side windows and rear window.

Accident or Collision
Collision coverage insures your vehicle from damage that is caused by a collision with another vehicle or stationary object or the unintentional rolling or flipping of the vehicle onto its roof or side.

Comprehensive
Separate from Glass coverage, Comprehensive coverage protects you from damage to, or loss of, your vehicle for any reason other than collision. Typical examples include damage from falling objects, fire and explosions, flood, natural disasters, animal damage, vandalism and theft. For such claims, please contact us at 1-844-34-TESLA.

Roadside
Roadside Assistance coverage provides you with tow assistance in case of any non-drivable situations, such as flat tires, lockouts, out-of-range or other unexpected breakdowns. To request roadside assistance, simply open the Tesla app and select ‘Roadside.’
Just got clarification -- unfortunately in CA the $0 deductible only applies to repairs, not replacement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220709-120242.png
    Screenshot_20220709-120242.png
    274.7 KB · Views: 1,164