Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance is cheap but horrible to deal with if you have a claim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about dropping the Tesla Insurance. Driving to the Safety Score just takes the enjoyment and relaxation out of driving. I keep getting following to close hits, even though my following distances are more than FSD uses. I can not figure out where the hits come from. Perhaps pulling up behind other cars at a red light??? I have verified that using the brakes in addition to Regen braking is an automatic hit. My Safety Score goes from 97-98-97. Just not worth it for the decrease in premium in light of the complaints if you have a claim.
Tesla promotes acceleration, braking, and cornering ability. NOT IF YOU HAVE TESLA INSURANCE. Unless you drive like a government employee being paid by the hour, you will get hits. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but after two months I think that I am going to opt out. Just not ready for prime time.

My Tesla insurance rep basically said if I don't want to pay the deductible then I should just call the other insurance and deal with them. Now the other insurance is taking its time to get the estimate done. It took them a whole week to get the car towed.

Must be a state by state thing. In California, the insurance company must first assign blame. If they they assign 51% or more to the other party, then your own insurance company cannot charge you the deductible even if they fail to collect from the other party.

I had an interesting accident about 7 years ago (not in my Tesla). A car rear ended me. It was their fault clearly. The other parties insurance company assigned me 100% blame even though they rear ended me. The other driver claimed I changed lanes and force him to rear end me. They believed him and assigned blame based on that. My insurance company assigned 100% blame to other driver insured by Progressive. Basically it was a stare down and neither side budged. AAA could have gone to court over it but decided that just eating the cost was cheaper than going to court even though progressive would have had to pay attorney fees if they lost. AAA said that given the small amount of damage claimed by both sides, that it was worth doing nothing because even with a favorable judgement and attorney fees, there were other hidden fees and costs they wouldn't have been able to recover.

As such, I did not have to pay the deductible and my rates didn't go up. The remaining question is if Progressive decided it was my fault and there wasn't a court judgment yay or nay on that, could Progressive could have added me to C.L.U.E. If they did, then it would have potentially damaged my ability to shop around at other insurance companies.

My Tesla insurance rep basically said if I don't want to pay the deductible then I should just call the other insurance and deal with them. Now the other insurance is taking its time to get the estimate done. It took them a whole week to get the car towed.
If Tesla wants you to pay your deductible, they should be able to get that money from the other insurance company and give you your deductible back. If they don't do that, drop them.

Or speak to another agent. Looks like someone is being too aggressive

Most insurance can handle subrogation claims, you will pay the deductible first and once they got the money back, you will get the money back. However, Tesla is new to the insurance business, and/or the person who responded may be clueless, I know they are starting to handle the business themselves in some states rather than relying on other underwriters, not sure whether it will improve over time.