Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla insurance is now available in Oregon, Virginia and Colorado.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be switching!

Previously paying over $500/month with Allstate on my 2020 Model S PL+ largely due to my age (19).

It’s great to see an insurance company that doesn’t consider age, as the Tesla insurance ends up around $300/month LESS than my old quote!

Reactions: Pricedm
Woohoo! Colorado resident, I just switched over my 2011 Volvo XC70 (daughter's high school car) and my 2018 Model 3. Cost decreased from $1,500 to $1,200, on 6 month basis. Of course, Tesla insurance cost is recalculated monthly, starting with baseline Safety Score of 90. Since 99-100 is/was required to get into FSD Beta, I expect my cost to decrease.

With Progressive, I had $100 glass deductible, which I liked, given the expense of a new windshield. But with Tesla I was able to drop collision deductible from $1,000 to $500 with only a trivial premium increase. And having a teen driver...Tesla insurance for the win!

Reactions: DFibRL8R
Woohoo! Colorado resident, I just switched over my 2011 Volvo XC70 (daughter's high school car) and my 2018 Model 3. Cost decreased from $1,500 to $1,200, on 6 month basis. Of course, Tesla insurance cost is recalculated monthly, starting with baseline Safety Score of 90. Since 99-100 is/was required to get into FSD Beta, I expect my cost to decrease.

With Progressive, I had $100 glass deductible, which I liked, given the expense of a new windshield. But with Tesla I was able to drop collision deductible from $1,000 to $500 with only a trivial premium increase. And having a teen driver...Tesla insurance for the win!

How did you get your Volvo covered? I tried to add our Range Rover in Oregon and it would not accept the VIN as valid.

I just signed up in Oregon but not sure I am going to keep it. It was cheaper than Progressive but the fact that its monthly and they base the monthly fee on your driving is nerve wracking so fingers crossed!
I just checked premium on our 2020 Model X in Oregon and it was $30/month MORE than our Progressive policy. ($148/month Tesla Insurance, $118/month Progressive.) Coverages and deductibles are roughly the same. If I ratchet all of the deductibles and coverage amounts to the minimum I can get the Tesla premium down to about $100/month, but I am not sure I am comfortable with those coverage levels. It would be nice to know how much the discount for good driving will be. I have FSD beta since it first was made available with scoring system, so am assuming my score is around 99 still.

It looks like Tesla insurance in Virginia for 3 Teslas was cheaper than exactly equal coverage from USAA — by about $50 month / 600 year. At least based on the default 90 safety score.

An advantage of Tesla insurance though is that you can increase the deductible to $5k (USAA max is only $1k) for additional $100/month savings, $1200/year.

An annoyance is that Tesla insurance doesn’t clearly the display the cost of each element of insurance that adds up to the premium the way the USAA website does so it is more annoying to see how changes in the coverage affect the premium.

Also the Tesla insurance block didn’t show up in my app for a while — if you are looking it should be where you swipe between mutiple Tesla cars or your solar etc. as a new Tesla product to have on the app.

It looks like Tesla insurance in Virginia for 3 Teslas was cheaper than exactly equal coverage from USAA — by about $50 month / 600 year. At least based on the default 90 safety score.

An advantage of Tesla insurance though is that you can increase the deductible to $5k (USAA max is only $1k) for additional $100/month savings, $1200/year.

An annoyance is that Tesla insurance doesn’t clearly the display the cost of each element of insurance that adds up to the premium the way the USAA website does so it is more annoying to see how changes in the coverage affect the premium.

Also the Tesla insurance block didn’t show up in my app for a while — if you are looking it should be where you swipe between mutiple Tesla cars or your solar etc. as a new Tesla product to have on the app.

Wow $5K deductible, $1200 is a great quote, but with 5K dedutible, you're not getting much insurance IMHO.

I just signed up in Oregon but not sure I am going to keep it. It was cheaper than Progressive but the fact that its monthly and they base the monthly fee on your driving is nerve wracking so fingers crossed!
Possible you have an update on this, especially as I read Tesla insurance has become less reasonably cost effective over time, as well as how aggressively the score increases rates?