Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance Premium Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Got a notice from Tesla insurance saying that starting next month my premium is going up. So I called them today and was told I had been mistakenly given the employee group discount, in fact everyone got this discount and now they are correcting it. Seriously Tesla, bait and switch maybe?! How could they not know that they gave everyone this discount and fix it right away? When Tesla insurance first came out they were higher than my previous insurance provider, because it was bundled with my home owners insurance and other vehicles. Then I after a bit I checked Tesla insurance again and it was lower, so I switched coverage to them. So now I'm thinking they might actually be higher than what I had before and will be calling my previous insurance provider. Thanks for the bad experience Tesla!

I got the dreaded notice today, and the reason they gave me is that I am driving more miles than originally estimated. My insurance premium has almost doubled for next month! Never knew miles driven has such a HUGE effect on the premium. I may have no choice but to switch.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
I got the dreaded notice today, and the reason they gave me is that I am driving more miles than originally estimated. My insurance premium has almost doubled for next month! Never knew miles driven has such a HUGE effect on the premium. I may have no choice but to switch.
Does the premium go back down when you drive less? Asking because we drive very little until we take a cross country road trip.

I mean, are you driving more miles than originally estimated? I had to insure a 2019 Model S Long Range for about a month (I had bought another car and it took a month to sell the old one). Under Tesla Insurance, I dropped the miles to the absolute minimum and was paying around $40/month. If I had started driving it again, of course they would have increased my premium to at least $120+.

Well obviously but he has a 99 score so I assume that puts him at the lowest premiums possible and I doubt he is under the age of 25

Can you have a 99 safety score with accidents on your record?
Good question. Actually, I suspect yes you can have a 99 safety score with "previous" accidents on your record. So no, the safety score alone does not put him in the lowest rate. Assuming things isn't the right answer. :)

I was trying to point out that rates are not just about the car, the rate, and your state. The wife has dealt with this stuff for decades and she states some of the other factors not mentioned above that affect rates such as the types of coverage and the amounts of each item on the policy, actual city (not state) where one lives (zip code), age of the driver, length of driving record, annual mileage, moving violations (which the safety score does not know about), being retired or not retired (regardless of mileage), male or female, married or single, and in some cases even your credit rating, and likely some other factors she forgot to mention.

It's just some of the reasons why it makes no sense for one person to judge the rate of another person on here because they don't know all the personal details of the other person. ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Does the premium go back down when you drive less? Asking because we drive very little until we take a cross country road trip.
I don't know. It seemed like they did the mileage assessment taking into account my driving data from multiple months. Not just one month. So, if I drive less for multiple months, the premium will probably go down.

To be clear, I am not against this. It is just that, I didn't expect the premium to almost double due to miles driven alone. Especially because my actual miles driven is only slightly higher than the original estimate, and definitely not double.

Seems like none of you live in South Florida where I pay $1,666 every 6 months to State Farm with no claims in decades. I do not participate in their Drive Safe & Save as I assume that it will more likely raise my rates than lower them.