Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance: What counts as a "comprehensive" claim?

How should I handle this paint situation?

• Try detailing products and hope it comes off.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Argue with Tesla Insurance over it being comprehensive.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I accidentally ran over a paint bucket a couple of weeks ago and got bright orange paint all over my black car minus the driver side. I immediately pulled over and tried to wipe it clean but it had already set in very quickly. Not even a car wash helped.

I figured this would be covered by my insurance as a comprehensive claim. After all, I didn't hit another car nor did I have time to respond when I saw that paint bucket come from under the car in front in less than a second. Unfortunately, Tesla Insurance says this counts as a collision claim because I hit an object. My body shop is saying this should definitely count as a comprehensive claim based on their experience but it's between me and the insurance to argue that.

My collision deductible is $1,000 and my comprehensive deductible is $250. Body shop is charging the insurance around $4k for a thorough fix. I plan on doing a DIY wrap later this year so I'm wondering if I should try to use detailing products to clean it up myself or continue trying to get it covered as comprehensive by Tesla Insurance.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3708.jpg
    IMG_3708.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3715.jpg
    IMG_3715.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3722.jpg
    IMG_3722.jpg
    869.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3729.jpg
    IMG_3729.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3741.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3744.jpg
    IMG_3744.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 88
I think most insurance companies would put hitting the paint bucket in the "collision" category. If the bucket fell on your car or someone threw it at your car, that would be comprehensive. However, you may be able to argue comprehensive given that it essentially bounced off another car.

Reactions: not4antoher
Yeah, unfortunately, thats a collision as far as every insurance company I've ever dealt with. Can you tell what kind of paint it is? If its just latex paint it should peel off your protected (waxed/coated) surfaces really easily. The undercarriage maybe with a good pressure washer.

Given you're in California, I'd just be glad that you didn't get charged some hazmat cleanup environmental impact damage fee for hitting that harmless container that was doing its job of separating the toxins from the public. Not to mention you may have cost an undocumented migrant worker his/her (*they're) job of painting over all the recall Newsom signs.

• Disagree
Reactions: TomT and Callawayc7
TBH you should be able to clean that up pretty easily. 4k from the body shop? Cali is nuts. Try some goof off. The most aggressive thing I see you having to do is polish that paint off if cleaning solvents don't remove it.

100% a collision claim. That said, $4k seems excessive. You can try a clay bar (likely several) to remove that from the paint. The wheel liners are an over the counter part you should be able to order from the service center.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Yeah, unfortunately, thats a collision as far as every insurance company I've ever dealt with. Can you tell what kind of paint it is? If its just latex paint it should peel off your protected (waxed/coated) surfaces really easily. The undercarriage maybe with a good pressure washer.

Given you're in California, I'd just be glad that you didn't get charged some hazmat cleanup environmental impact damage fee for hitting that harmless container that was doing its job of separating the toxins from the public. Not to mention you may have cost an undocumented migrant worker his/her (*they're) job of painting over all the recall Newsom signs.
I guess you're right. Just read my complete insurance policy and it definitely does say this counts as collision. Not sure what paint it is, though, as the complete bucket was covered in paint. It was very hard to get off with just towels, water, and a car wash.

As a former undocumented migrant worker, I can confirm this did not cost someone their job.

TBH you should be able to clean that up pretty easily. 4k from the body shop? Cali is nuts. Try some goof off. The most aggressive thing I see you having to do is polish that paint off if cleaning solvents don't remove it.
To be fair, that body shop estimate was very detailed and involved removing/replacing parts for a very thorough job. Will definitely be looking into how to do this myself now, though. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: outdoors
As a former undocumented migrant worker, I can confirm this did not cost someone their job.

You are of course, entirely correct. I was trying to make a quick joke about various troubles my home state is having and hastily threw some folks under the bus. Hence why I'm not a professional joke writer, I guess. No offense was intended to anyone, or any class of people. Thank you for your classy retort :)

Reactions: Pkmmte