Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This popped in my account yesterday. May be my state started offering insurance? Or is this a normal thing? I live in Texas
IMG_0692.jpeg

Does anyone here have any experience with Tesla Insurance?
I just filled out all the required info and it’s half the price of AAA, exact same coverag.
It’s great if you drive like a grandma. In Texas the premiums Tesla is offering for 100/300/100 coverage with $1000 deductibles and a safety score of 90 was $138/month. So roughly $1600 a year for crap coverage. Safety score is key as well, very tough to maintain 90+ score if you live in populated areas like north Dallas. My progressive coverage for 250/500/250, $100 deductibles (comprehensive & collision) and $0 glass coverage annual premium is significantly less than $1600. And that’s not due to bundle pricing, home is through another provider. Bundles are a joke if you know how to shop around for insurance.

Reactions: mrmtb
Does anyone here have any experience with Tesla Insurance?
I just filled out all the required info and it’s half the price of AAA, exact same coverag.
I have it in Calif since 10/8/21. DMV doesn't have my proof of insurance and I've been on ignore for 1 hour with 1-844-34-tesla! I guess it was 5pm in TX on Fri when I called. Maybe I'll call their claims number or call back Monday.😡

Safety score and then having access to that data would put me off. Basically they could testify against me using my vehicles data and deny coverage for some anomaly like speed or lane change without signal.

I have it in Calif since 10/8/21. DMV doesn't have my proof of insurance and I've been on ignore for 1 hour with 1-844-34-tesla! I guess it was 5pm in TX on Fri when I called. Maybe I'll call their claims number or call back Monday.😡
Looks like I'll have to shop for a different insurance company. What good is Insurance if they take your money but won't answer your calls? Can't renew my registration without proof of insurance that the insurance company is supposed to provide electronically. TESLA INSURANCE SUX!

Looks like I'll have to shop for a different insurance company. What good is Insurance if they take your money but won't answer your calls? Can't renew my registration without proof of insurance that the insurance company is supposed to provide electronically. TESLA INSURANCE SUX!
I finally got a call from Tesla Insurance after 3.5 hours. They have been swamped for the past two weeks. It turns out that CA DMV is not accepting Tesla's electronic notifications and I have to go to the DMV to renew my registration. DMV is not cooperating with Tesla Insurance to fix the problem.

Reactions: tengtengvn
Enrolled in TI policy on 12/17 for policy start date of 12/20. There is an SR-22 attached and as of 12/30, they show it effective, but had not sent the SR-22 to the CA DMV. A request was submitted to email the paperwork to DMV and should be received by end of day.

As for registration, TI doesn't handle them. This is done through the "sales center." For me personally, from order to delivery, everything was done online. Not sure what sales center I should be calling to confirm they've sent my insurance and registration paperwork to DMV?

It’s great if you drive like a grandma. In Texas the premiums Tesla is offering for 100/300/100 coverage with $1000 deductibles and a safety score of 90 was $138/month. So roughly $1600 a year for crap coverage. Safety score is key as well, very tough to maintain 90+ score if you live in populated areas like north Dallas. My progressive coverage for 250/500/250, $100 deductibles (comprehensive & collision) and $0 glass coverage annual premium is significantly less than $1600. And that’s not due to bundle pricing, home is through another provider. Bundles are a joke if you know how to shop around for insurance.
Got any tips? I've been digging around for days, filling out forms and phone calls until my eyes bleed, bundling everything but my grandma, and I'm not getting anything lower than $220/mo or 1600~ for 6 month. This is for 100/300/100, 2 vehicles but the other one is almost never used and will have the bare minimum coverage. 1 accident, but I was not at fault. We're both in our 30s. Completely mystified.

This is good to hear. We have had Geico for years and love them however I was worried hearing all these horror stories about insuring a Tesla.
Just a PSA, I had GEICO for 16 years, and was thrilled with my payments. One day a coworker was discussing how much they were paying, which was less than me. I shopped around and found the I was not getting the best rate, I was just staying with them because of the marketing telling me I was getting the best rate.

Somewhere in the second half of the 16 years the rates crept up slowly. I got better rates from Farmers Insurance. I called GEICO and told them, and they were like, "oh yeah, we can give you a lower rate than we are charging you now." Kinda pissed me off, so I did switch. Not here to tell you to leave GEICO, just to tell you not to assume they are giving you the best rate.

Check out AMICA if you’re shopping around. They are the least expensive for excellent coverage and they pay for OEM parts as standard. They also offer a $5k rental car coverage which is excellent for when you have a fender bender and it takes 3 months to get parts from Tesla. I have had one claim with them a few years ago and they treated me like a king. I now have an umbrella policy through them as well which was inexpensive as well ($180/y for 2m of coverage).

My EDD is 2/8 to 3/8 we currently have Geico but noticed today that the cost to insure my challenger just went up $180 a year so I’m thinking I’ll have to shop around a little for the MYP. We’re in Eastern NC with basically a clean driving record.

Does anyone else having problem getting to Tesla's Insurance website? It does get redirected to https://www.teslainsuranceservices.com but then it either gives a 404 or 500 server error. Also the feature popped up on my phone inside the Tesla app a couple of weeks ago but it's now missing on my phone.

I'm afraid if the insurance is as bad as their service (another forum, but 2 months wait for replacing the HV Battery and no communication). What if you have to make a claim or report an accident?

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 4.15.14 PM.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SPACE_EX