Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Progressive Quoted me at $450/m for my MSLR, my M3P is $200/m.
My only wreck is the idiot who T-Boned me running a stop sign 2 years ago -_-*

Geico was $300/m

Telsa was $163/m, Literally $3400 saving a year in insurance. WILD

My question is, how much does driving fast effect your insurance rate? Cause in Texas....we drive a bit fast .-.
The rates people are paying are unbelievable. I know there are lots of factors like location that go into play but damn, I pay ~$70/mo for my Q7 and the quote on Tesla was also $70/mo. Million dollar coverage. I love my insurer.

I’m in Ohio and don’t even know if it’s worth looking at Tesla insurance.

Yes, I have my other ICE vehicle on my Tesla Insurance policy as well. It's a higher rate than the Tesla, however, since driving behavior isn't monitored.
Thank you for responding. I was wrong in my response earlier.

• For Tesla vehicle owners with non-Tesla vehicles, you can also insure your non-Tesla vehicles by adding the vehicle when you purchase a policy. For existing policyholders, contact us to add your non-Tesla vehicles to your policy.

The rates people are paying are unbelievable. I know there are lots of factors like location that go into play but damn, I pay ~$70/mo for my Q7 and the quote on Tesla was also $70/mo. Million dollar coverage. I love my insurer.

I’m in Ohio and don’t even know if it’s worth looking at Tesla insurance.
Yeah Tesla Insurance was by far the cheapest out of like 5 people I went to. I got heavily dinged with FCW the first month due to driving in Texas.
I got dinged by car parked on the side of the road on a right hand turn....that one sucked.
Then got dinged cause car pulled out in front of me forcing me to slam on breaks a few times.
Then got dinged when Ap came to a stop when traffic did, but the car behind me was NOT doing the same, so I had to make evasive maneuvers to not get hit.
Then got dinged for going around people who are doing 5-10mph under the speed limit in the fast lane, while still having 1-2 car lengths in front of me -_-*

EVEN with all those mishaps, my insurance rate is $180....vs $450 lol

BTW, I'm 31 going on 32, with my only wreck being getting T boned by someone running stop signs trying to cross 5 lanes of traffic.
Yes. It’s quite cheap if you have score of 98-99. They have a chart available for reference.

When you are quoted for insurance. They assume you drive 90 score. So if you have 90+ each month. You will see a discount
Idk how you can get a 98-99. I get hit with "aggressive turning" on the main road by my house doing below the speed limit.
Only got into Beta on my M3P because I went out at night and drove like a grandma for 100 miles and got a 100 score and didnt drive it when I went out of town and came home to beta.

Yeah Tesla Insurance was by far the cheapest out of like 5 people I went to. I got heavily dinged with FCW the first month due to driving in Texas.
I got dinged by car parked on the side of the road on a right hand turn....that one sucked.
Then got dinged cause car pulled out in front of me forcing me to slam on breaks a few times.
Then got dinged when Ap came to a stop when traffic did, but the car behind me was NOT doing the same, so I had to make evasive maneuvers to not get hit.
Then got dinged for going around people who are doing 5-10mph under the speed limit in the fast lane, while still having 1-2 car lengths in front of me -_-*

EVEN with all those mishaps, my insurance rate is $180....vs $450 lol

BTW, I'm 31 going on 32, with my only wreck being getting T boned by someone running stop signs trying to cross 5 lanes of traffic.

Idk how you can get a 98-99. I get hit with "aggressive turning" on the main road by my house doing below the speed limit.
Only got into Beta on my M3P because I went out at night and drove like a grandma for 100 miles and got a 100 score and didnt drive it when I went out of town and came home to beta.
Gotta say that would seriously ruin driving for me. When I was a teenager I had a radar detector and it made driving less enjoyable as I would do the equivalent of phantom braking every time the thing went off expecting it to be a cop and it was nothing.

The monitoring would just irritate me. Just want to drive the way I want when I want without having to worry what it will do to my rates.

Is the monitoring for a period or is it ongoing. Maybe, MAYBE for a short period I would put up with it but not on a going basis.

Gotta say that would seriously ruin driving for me. When I was a teenager I had a radar detector and it made driving less enjoyable as I would do the equivalent of phantom braking every time the thing went off expecting it to be a cop and it was nothing.

The monitoring would just irritate me. Just want to drive the way I want when I want without having to worry what it will do to my rates.

Is the monitoring for a period or is it ongoing. Maybe, MAYBE for a short period I would put up with it but not on a going basis.
Oh trust me I HATE that aspect....but the only thing I've had to change in my driving is be more aware of cutting gaps between cars to get around slow people in the fast lane. As that triggers FCWs. Besides that I drive like I normally do with no issues. I assume the more I drive, the less the FCW will matter per mile basis.

And to save $150-200 per MONTH in insurance is worth that minor change. I mean that's essentially a cheap car payment each month, or a bike, or a boat...

It's ongoing. Your premium will change based on your Safety Score each month, so there's really not a set in stone 6-month premium like other insurers. The whole Safety Score system does kind of ruin the "fun" of driving for me. I tried a month of driving like I normally would without paying attention to the Safety Score, however, and my score ended up being 92 for that month which isn't bad (normally 98 or 99 when I'm trying to score high). Still cheaper premiums than anyone else though. But yes, I'm overly cautious when driving now because the perfectionism in me wants to score 100 every drive.

Reactions: nate704
It's ongoing. Your premium will change based on your Safety Score each month, so there's really not a set in stone 6-month premium like other insurers. The whole Safety Score system does kind of ruin the "fun" of driving for me. I tried a month of driving like I normally would without paying attention to the Safety Score, however, and my score ended up being 92 for that month which isn't bad (normally 98 or 99 when I'm trying to score high). Still cheaper premiums than anyone else though. But yes, I'm overly cautious when driving now because the perfectionism in me wants to score 100 every drive.
idk where you live that you can get 98+ period. In Texas traffic/highway driving you can't possibly maintain it :( I Tried driving like a baby and barely kept 96/97.

Driving how I want I think I'll maintain 90-92, unless I keep getting these ridiculous FCW's for no reason.
If I'm 1-2 car lengths behind someone making a lane change, shouldn't get a warning. Seems silly.

Oh trust me I HATE that aspect....but the only thing I've had to change in my driving is be more aware of cutting gaps between cars to get around slow people in the fast lane. As that triggers FCWs. Besides that I drive like I normally do with no issues. I assume the more I drive, the less the FCW will matter per mile basis.

And to save $150-200 per MONTH in insurance is worth that minor change. I mean that's essentially a cheap car payment each month, or a bike, or a boat...
You save $200 per Month??? Are you 16 with a dozen accidents? Never heard of anyone paying that much for insurance.

idk where you live that you can get 98+ period. In Texas traffic/highway driving you can't possibly maintain it :( I Tried driving like a baby and barely kept 96/97.

Driving how I want I think I'll maintain 90-92, unless I keep getting these ridiculous FCW's for no reason.
If I'm 1-2 car lengths behind someone making a lane change, shouldn't get a warning. Seems silly.
It's not too difficult to be honest. It's all about being aware of what you can get dinged for. I try to keep a 5-10 car length distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me at all times to give me plenty of time to react and gradually slow down. Same with aggressive turning. I dramatically slow down every time I make a turn to avoid getting dinged. FCW's aren't as common for me as the previous two I mentioned, but every time they do happen it's always a false positive.

Last edited:
Will not driving on a daily basis lower my Tesla scores? We only drive our car twice a week, and I've read that people found that their scores go down if they didn't drive the next day.
The rolling score you view is always based on the past 30 days, so if you drive less and score high every time you do drive your score will stay high. It's all about your most recent driving events (past 30 days).

Reactions: Investor9872