Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read in Teslarati post today that a Tesla owner in Illinois filed a class action suit against Tesla Insurance in late April 2022. Issue is owner's monthly insurance premiums keep going up as his monthly driver safety score keeps getting worse due to phantom braking. Anyone else with Tesla Insurance experiencing the same issue thru no fault of their own?

So if I'm reading into Tesla insurance correctly it looks like your "safety score" is calculated by the camera warning systems in the car and the g-meter sensor.

Just this week alone I've had all of these events:
  • Collision avoidance event where it saw a car in my blind spot and prevented me from changing lanes. There was no car in the lane immediately next to me.
  • Forward collision braking. No possibility of me hitting the vehicle in front of me.
  • I had to slam on my brakes to avoid someone making a left turn across the road without looking.
I didn't do anything wrong and I'd be penalized with this insurance. Unless the worst safety score causes the price to be less than my current insurance there's no chance I would consider switching to this.

1654798472272.png

So if I'm reading into Tesla insurance correctly it looks like your "safety score" is calculated by the camera warning systems in the car and the g-meter sensor.

Just this week alone I've had all of these events:
  • Collision avoidance event where it saw a car in my blind spot and prevented me from changing lanes. There was no car in the lane immediately next to me.
  • Forward collision braking. No possibility of me hitting the vehicle in front of me.
  • I had to slam on my brakes to avoid someone making a left turn across the road without looking.
I didn't do anything wrong and I'd be penalized with this insurance. Unless the worst safety score causes the price to be less than my current insurance there's no chance I would consider switching to this.

View attachment 814652
It depends where you live. Some states don't allow for driver monitoring to factor into insurance premiums. Thankfully, my state doesn't as, like you, I get lots of warnings for things that are either errors on the car's part or warnings for the bad driving of others. I briefly turned on the safety score in my app and noticed that I had been dinged for stuff I didn't even get warnings for (turning too fast etc). No thanks, I don't want my insurance rate to be based off of that.

For those who are getting dinged for "other" drivers, this is still a valid factor in regional insurance rates. Not just your personal history of traffic infractions/accidents.

Tesla may or may not be gathering data on ALL drivers (even non-Tesla). If you live in an area with bad drivers, your rates may be affected.

Is it fair? Depends on if you are the business or the customer. More data = more justification for higher costs to consumers.

Absolutely! Happened to me most recently last Sunday. Added an instance of hard braking, lowered my profile rating and raised my premium before the day was out. Can't use one of the safety reasons for having a Tesla without having insurance premiums increase.

I have Score 97 with Tesla Insurance which gives me $104/month payment. The most annoying part is the false forward collision warnings, that's absolutely not under my control and this dramatically impacts the driving score. Because of that, there is no way I can get above 97.
And it's not difficult to drive with a high score... just keep a reasonable distance from vehicles, get used to use only regen breaking, don't make an aggressive turns and that's it. Flooring on the green light does not impact the score, so you can still enjoy it.

Reactions: Scubamikey
I understand all that. What annoys me most is the fact that phantom braking prevents me from using one of the safety factors built-in to my Tesla unless I am willing to accept an increase in my Tesla insurance premium. Surely Tesla insurance should understand how stupid that seems.