Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering Tesla insurance for my Tesla. I have a few questions, and answers are appreciated.
- I have heard that Tesla car + Tesla insurance can get 50% off of parts. Is it correct and how to get it?
- Will filing a claim result in an increase in the premium? Is there any amount threshold to trigger that?
- Can I first repair the car and then get the reimbursement?
- If an accident does not involve any other cars or people, is it treated as collision or non-collision?
Thanks!

Without actually answering your specific questions… Tesla insurance works basically the same as any other, underwritten by 3rd party. Not sure about the part discount. Regardless, given Tesla’s atrocious communication and admin processes, it’s about the last company I would want helping me resolve and manage a claim. Happy to pay more through Allstate personally, given at least I know they will provide good customer service.

Reactions: ucmndd
They operate like any other insurance company, just with worse communication and customer service.

- I have heard that Tesla car + Tesla insurance can get 50% off of parts. Is it correct and how to get it?
Never heard of this, very much doubt it’s true.
- Will filing a claim result in an increase in the premium?
Generally yes, as they’re an insurance company.
Is there any amount threshold to trigger that?
Like any insurance company, more dependent on specifics and fault than any dollar threshold.
- Can I first repair the car and then get the reimbursement?
Of course not, insurance doesn’t work like this. You will need to file a claim and have it adjusted before performing any repairs.
- If an accident does not involve any other cars or people, is it treated as collision or non-collision?
This is dependent on what you hit and the specific circumstances, not the involvement of other parties.

Answering the question you didn’t ask out loud - buying an insurance policy to make a claim for an accident that has already happened is fraud. ;)

Your questions are valid and should be quickly answered by the insurance company for any prospective customer. Ask Tesla Insurance. If you don't hear from them, you have your answer whether you should be buying insurance from them. It MUST be better than Tesla general customer service.

If you are using Tesla insurance and have the repair done in Tesla collision center, then it is true that the Tesla parts got a 50% discount (I don't know the actual cost to Tesla though), shop supplies and labor are billed at regular rate.

I had a bad door scrapes while parking and ended up have to replace rear door, quarter, and rocker panel. Obviously the doors and panels have to be repainted and they also fixed the wheel rash which is not related at all. The final bill came up to 11k, saved 3k for the Tesla insurance due to 50% parts discount. After filing the claim, on the next renewal I got a modest increase of 14% but I doubted it is accident related, most likely is regional and also the underwriter changed from RedPoint Austin to Tesla CA which I think is a better for customer, plus I always got a slight increase each 6 months, still very cheap @ $82/month/100SC for .5/1m coverage.

After filing the claim and got the estimate, you can take it anywhere to fix it, then you can submit the receipt for reimbursement. They may question you if your receipt is different from the estimate. Any 3rd party accessories (e.g. ppf) is only covered up to 1000 (this is for Tesla insurance), other company will be different.

BTW, despite lots of bad raps on Tesla insurance online, my experience from filing the claim, repair, rental car, responses from adjuster, and reimbursement has been excellent.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DerbyDave