Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla integration b/w Powerwall and Vehicles with 1.46 firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the Powerwall was updated last night to 1.46 last night, I didn't think much until I read the release notes and saw this line:

- Added support for Tesla Vehicle Charging during a Power Outage in North America

So via the phone app it takes you to the page and it states that it is only for North America right now but Australia is 'coming soon'.

Supported Versions:
Powerwall 1.46+
Tesla Mobile App 3.10.2+
Tesla Car firmware 2019.40.1+

So it states, Powerwall now coordinates with Tesla vehicles during a power outage to charge your car without exceeding the energy and power capabilities of your Powerwall.

Keep your vehicle plugged in while the sun is shining and surplus solar will charge your vehicle. Charging stops when Powerwall's stored energy drops below your set threshold.

So the Powerwall was updated last night to 1.46 last night, I didn't think much until I read the release notes and saw this line:

- Added support for Tesla Vehicle Charging during a Power Outage in North America

So via the phone app it takes you to the page and it states that it is only for North America right now but Australia is 'coming soon'.

Supported Versions:
Powerwall 1.46+
Tesla Mobile App 3.10.2+

So it states, Powerwall now coordinates with Tesla vehicles during a power outage to charge your car without exceeding the energy and power capabilities of your Powerwall.

Keep your vehicle plugged in while the sun is shining and surplus solar will charge your vehicle. Charging stops when Powerwall's stored energy drops below your set threshold.

Great, hopefully they enable an option to charge from excess solar only soon too.

More info here, but location has to be set to North America
Vehicle Charging During Power Outage | Tesla Powerwall

"Note: Vehicle charging may not automatically restart if charging stops. You can restart charging by reseating your vehicle's charge cable.

Supported Versions
  • Powerwall: 1.46+
  • Tesla Mobile App: 3.10.2+
  • Model 3/Model Y – North America: 2019.40.1+
  • Model 3/Model Y – Other Vehicles: Coming Soon
  • Model S/Model X: Coming Soon"

• Informative
Reactions: baillies

Supported Versions:
Powerwall 1.46+
Tesla Mobile App 3.10.2+

That sound neat. If I’m understanding correctly, then powerwall will be prioritised for charging, and once its full the car will be prioritised, and once thats full the balance will be exported?

You set a limit in the App for the amount of Powerwall storage you don't want to drop below and it just manages the charging based on excess solar & powerwall battery storage over that limit. At the moment it will only trigger in a backup situation but I guess it's a easy migration from this to also be enabled during non backup events.

The key takeaway I see is that the car and powerwall now talk to each other and can monitor usage, storage and (excess) solar. This is probably why as part of this update there was a update for quicker communications between Powerwall app customisation settings and the Powerwall and the Powerwall preconditioning.

It should be relatively easy for Telsa to optimise the efficiency of the car charging experience if the owner also has a Powerwall. The car and the Powerwall being on the same wifi network makes it easy for them to talk to each other so the car can be charged when the sun is out, battery full or exporting to the grid etc.....

Reactions: ra88it
Comments above indicate that people expect the variable car charging to work while the grid is up. My understanding is that car charging is only modulated when the grid is down. After all, the feature is called "Vehicle Charging During Power Outage".

I think we all would like the on-grid surplus solar charging to be implemented.

Reactions: ra88it and Stratman
Powerwall in australia will not operate 3 phase devices during a power failure. Presume this will need to be overcome before it will operate the 3 phase tesla wall connector?
That is a logical conclusion. Of course, you could use the provided mobile connector on a single phase circuit that is backed up. This would also require that your vehicle software is updated to support this feature. So far it seems North American Model 3 & Model Y are the only vehicles that support this feature.

The car and the Powerwall being on the same wifi network makes it easy for them to talk to each other so the car can be charged when the sun is out, battery full or exporting to the grid etc.....
The car and the PW2 both need to be internet connected, they don't need to be using the same access method. My PW2 is hardwired via Ethernet whereas my Model 3 is on a WiFi repeater. But if one was on 4G and the other WiFi Tesla can still talk to both.

Powerwall in australia will not operate 3 phase devices during a power failure. Presume this will need to be overcome before it will operate the 3 phase tesla wall connector?
You are correct, if you are thinking of a grid outage situation. But assuming that the next iteration of this feature enables car charging using surplus solar, then as long as the grid is up it would still work even in a 3-phase house (like mine).

Although the PW2 only injects on one phase, and in my case, I also only have a single phase inverter, net metering means that grid draw on the other two phases is netted out with solar export on the connected phase if there is sufficient. So in terms of total and net power flows, everything appears as if solar was driving all 3 phases even though it isn't.

You are correct, if you are thinking of a grid outage situation. But assuming that the next iteration of this feature enables car charging using surplus solar, then as long as the grid is up it would still work even in a 3-phase house (like mine).

Although the PW2 only injects on one phase, and in my case, I also only have a single phase inverter, net metering means that grid draw on the other two phases is netted out with solar export on the connected phase if there is sufficient. So in terms of total and net power flows, everything appears as if solar was driving all 3 phases even though it isn't.

powerwall handles 3 phase just fine when the grid is up. I see more use and more environmental gain in powerwall diverting excess solar to the car then having the ability to charge the car for the short time power may be down.

Anyone with a powerwall+TEG + model3 + gen2 or 3 hpwc want to flip their grid off and see what happens when the PW dies?

Supppposedly ~20% of the 3 will go to the home, with nothing showing on the energy side of the app screen. As in, the power comes from “nowhere”.

Anyone with a powerwall+TEG + model3 + gen2 or 3 hpwc want to flip their grid off and see what happens when the PW dies?

Supppposedly ~20% of the 3 will go to the home, with nothing showing on the energy side of the app screen. As in, the power comes from “nowhere”.
I suspect anyone with a powerwall and a tesla will also have solar panels, so to do your curious experiment they will also need to turn off their solar panels.

I suspect anyone with a powerwall and a tesla will also have solar panels, so to do your curious experiment they will also need to turn off their solar panels.

Well, as a SGv3+PW+gen3+model3 customer, without my gen3 installed until later next week... I can tell you that your thought is missing the fact that night time exists and most (almost all) solar systems aren’t large enough to keep up with multiple pws and EVs with the home.

thank you for the reply. :)

Well, as a SGv3+PW+gen3+model3 customer, without my gen3 installed until later next week... I can tell you that your thought is missing the fact that night time exists and most (almost all) solar systems aren’t large enough to keep up with multiple pws and EVs with the home.

thank you for the reply. :)
Fyi my 30kw solar array runs my house, keeps two model s full with daytime charging, and results in us being a nett exporter to the grid. As of next month that exporting will instead be going to 3 powerwall. In summer I’ll still be exporting, but will need a small winter import as there wont be sufficient sun to fill everything. Autumn and Spring should be neutral. Looking forward to see if my data and calcs are correct.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
Fyi my 30kw solar array runs my house, keeps two model s full with daytime charging, and results in us being a nett exporter to the grid. As of next month that exporting will instead be going to 3 powerwall. In summer I’ll still be exporting, but will need a small winter import as there wont be sufficient sun to fill everything. Autumn and Spring should be neutral. Looking forward to see if my data and calcs are correct.
30kW is more than enough for 8pw+, we are roughly the same production, except mine isn’t all SG.

the real question is, what’s your daily home use + 2x model S kWh daily ?

I calculated 240mi daily + home use needing ~25kW PV and an absolutely absurd amount of storage (due to cars not being available for charging until sun is down), not including this 20% of the car that magically comes from owning a TEG and TM3. Which I’m still skeptical of and will test when able and report back

30kW is more than enough for 8pw+, we are roughly the same production, except mine isn’t all SG.

the real question is, what’s your daily home use + 2x model S kWh daily ?

I calculated 240mi daily + home use needing ~25kW PV and an absolutely absurd amount of storage (due to cars not being available for charging until sun is down), not including this 20% of the car that magically comes from owning a TEG and TM3. Which I’m still skeptical of and will test when able and report back
A 30kw solar array in Adelaide does not a lot in the middle of winter. The panels will not fill 3 powerwalls for around 3 months. I have all my export data, and if you are exporting under 45kw then you arent filling 3 powerwall.
My daily use varies each month. Its much higher in winter, which is when we have less solar.

Reactions: Eugene Ash