Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Interest Group for Columbia, Maryland Area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg
Any interest is a small interest group in the Columbia area? I am interested since I bought a tesla salvage that I may have near viable function again, but now I need to repair the battery. I am an EE who believes that I can repair it because I don't have the funds to pay for a professional repair but I want to learn and dissect the car for its most interesting and unique technology! I have the garage and jacking equipment including chargers and have revived the car and it is talking. If the dead cells are revived, then I will have a working Tesla. Anyone interesting in meeting me in Columbia for this purpose to learn allot about the car? You are likely to learn much about this wonderful creation and enjoy a specimen for a revival as we open it up! Thanks! :)

I'm a bit too far from Columbia, but there's a bunch of us in DC area (although most of us will be in Williamsburg this weekend for Tesla RoadTrip), so maybe we'll run into you. Good luck resurrecting that Roadster, such beautiful cars - and I'm awfully fond of their legacy :)

Do you know anything about the car's history?

intoid,

I'm interested.

I'm in Springfield, VA (about 50 miles away), with a 2011 Roadster 2.5. While I'm not interested in taking MY car apart, I'd love to see the innards of yours!

I'm not an EE but I've got experience working as an electronics technician (mostly working with military and commercial communications systems). I'm familiar with component-level troubleshooting, and I know which end of the soldering iron gets hot.

I'm a bit too far from Columbia, but there's a bunch of us in DC area (although most of us will be in Williamsburg this weekend for Tesla RoadTrip), so maybe we'll run into you. Good luck resurrecting that Roadster, such beautiful cars - and I'm awfully fond of their legacy :)

Do you know anything about the car's history?
Yes beautiful cars and so fragile. I want to share with others but was hoping there would be several here in Columbia Maryland. I've had the car for three years and really want to get a start, but so many roadblocks. The car was hit in the right rear just in front of the rear wheel with a glancing blow, not enough to effect the axles or frame but several wires were cut in the bundle that goes to to drivers compartment and front end. It was enough to disable the charger and so the battery was allowed to completely go to zero when I got it there was no charge. But surprisingly, two sheets recovered completely to 35 volts or so each. Other sheets have veryingly recovered some cells. I have hope that only a few individual cells are dragging down some of the bricks. More later. Please stay in touch and we'll get something, I hope. Should be good for any level of interests as we share on this both in person and by messaging. Thanks for the interest! :)

Reactions: CatB
intoid,

I'm interested.

I'm in Springfield, VA (about 50 miles away), with a 2011 Roadster 2.5. While I'm not interested in taking MY car apart, I'd love to see the innards of yours!

I'm not an EE but I've got experience working as an electronics technician (mostly working with military and commercial communications systems). I'm familiar with component-level troubleshooting, and I know which end of the soldering iron gets hot.
Great, Habious! Mine is number 1181, I think. I'll have to look at the vin again. Some parts are missing, but eventually, I'll get stuff collected to restore it if I get the car drivable with a working battery again. I expect to cut a few cells and maybe eventually replace them one by one. I know the car will work with a few missing cells in a brick, but the calculated amp hours will diminish as cells are fused or cut out. In a brick, one or two cells will short out when reverse charged by a total discharged ESS. But these few discharged cells should protect most of other cells in a given brick from ruin as they short out first. So we just cut out the ruined cells that refuse rejuvenation. More later. Of course, the hard part is to remove the ESS and do the initial annalysis of which cells are bad using a charger and observations with a thermal imaging camera. I have a neat trick to determine which cells are bad. More later! Thanks for your interest. Anytime you want to come over, we can agree on a good time for an initial meetup and tours of my existing work and plan future activities. Thanks again! :)

I'm interested - let me know when you would like to meet up.
Okay, let's plan a convenient time to start when we devise a good plan. I guess we could use private messaging or maybe a special private group in social media. I am open to suggestions as to best handle a meeting via Internet. I don't have allot of experience with how best to join up a group yet. Thanks, I'm excited to get your interest, Curt! Intoid...