Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla interior design has nowhere to go but down. Get this version while you can.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full disclosure: I’ve unfortunately not been able to come up with the money to buy a Model S. I do however have the money to buy a Model 3 if it was available today, and I have a Model 3 reservation (No: ~260K)

I just skimmed this entire thread and watched that Volvo YouTube clip.

First: Lets correct a misconception in this thread. The dude Tesla hired from Volvo is not a designer. He is an Engineer! Anders Bell was Senior Director of Engineering at Volvo and allegedly Volvo’s ‘Head of Interior Engineering’.

Second: I completely disagree with the OP in this thread.

I think the current Model S interior is a lot better looking than the first.

I like to push it in some corners. A completely flat drivers seat is not a good fit for any kind of inspired driving. And IMO it’s not in any way, shape or form more ecstatically pleasing than the current premium seats.

Just judging from pictures and video, I for example think the new Porsche Panamera interior is better looking than a the current Tesla Model S interior. The only thing I really don’t like is that you can’t (?) cover the cup holders in the Panamera. I much prefer the current Panamera to that Volvo You concept.

And the front exterior design of that Volvo You concept is almost as far from good looking as you can possibly get…

Lastly: I like completely black interiors. They are a lot more practical and much easier to keep looking mint.

I like porsche. If tesla can add a passenger torchscreen dashboard screen like this concept but a tad bigger.
it will be a win. You could watch videos, pics, browse, etc.

the gears also give it that spaceship feel that elon refers to. but knowing what elon says vs reality.
i'm not getting my hopes up

image-003.jpg

funny you should mention that - because i'd recently read a post claiming how we owners are (in essence) a bunch of whining crybabies if/when we talk bad about leather not holding up. We have less than 5hrs on the driver's seat - and by the end of our 1st 40 miles, the grey leather looked as old/wrinkled as our 11yr old Lexus hybrid SUV's tan leather. How can an owner expect horrible upholstery quality to be remedied when demo cars are looking iffy - and yet considered to be 'ok' when demo seats too, look disappointing.
Your post makes me glad that I ended up with the black "textile" seats on my CPO. Almost 26,000 miles and they look about the same as when I got the car at <7000 miles: like new.

Reactions: doctorwho
In the Porsche Mission E concept, I would prefer if the center portrait screen was placed higher up on the dash. Preferably as high up as possible without it interfering with the drivers view out of the windscreen. It also looks like that center portrait screen in the Mission E could be a bit bigger. Anyway… That’s (kind of) the way the center screen is placed in the current Panamera. In the Panamera it’s in landscape though, so it seems it's possible to design good looking dash solutions with the center screen in both landscape and portrait…

panamera.jpg

Image Credit: Porsche. Image shows the current Panamera interior in black.

I still prefer the look of this more than anything that's being posted on this thread. I just hope my seats don't get wrinkly. ....snip.....
oh ....you mean like this - after just ONE HOUR in the seat after we picked it up !?!

059.JPG

It's not like either of us are over 200lbs or something ...
personally, not sure which is more horrifying - the quickly wrinkling side support or the stretched butt area. Kind of makes us wonder how bad it'd look by now, if we had actually been driving the car since its arrival last december ...
but since the paint was messed up in a couple areas, and had a bad plastic area . . . . . and since it had a bad air suspension module . . . . we've only driven it back & forth to the shop a few times. And the rework isn't done yet ... so we haven't even been able to have them mess with the leather yet. Lucky us.
Glad most of the group isn't experiencing this from the get go.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
oh ....you mean like this - after just ONE HOUR in the seat after we picked it up !?!

View attachment 213463

personally, not sure which is more horrifying - the quickly wrinkling side support or the stretched butt area. Kind of makes us wonder how bad it'd look by now, if we had actually been driving the car since its arrival last december ...
but since the paint was messed up in a couple areas, and had a bad plastic area . . . . . and since it had a bad air suspension module . . . . we've only driven it back & forth to the shop a few times. And the rework isn't done yet ... so we haven't even been able to have them mess with the leather yet. Lucky us.
Geez, it's freaking leather! A natural material. The softer it is, the more it deforms. You can have more rigid leather that wrinkles less, but it is also less soft. I sympathize with your overall issues, but methinks you are being a bit picky on this. FWIW my 12 @ 35k miles looks about same as your 1 hour pic

• Disagree
Reactions: oktane

View attachment 213463

That's awful!!! Glad I got tan, still look like new after 9200 miles

View attachment 213463

This is the norm from what I can tell. I am buying the car knowing that I am going to have to either file a claim with tesla or take it to an upholstery guy I know to rework the seat. I just am anticipating it.

Geez, it's freaking leather! A natural material. The softer it is, the more it deforms. You can have more rigid leather that wrinkles less, but it is also less soft. I sympathize with your overall issues, but methinks you are being a bit picky on this. FWIW my 12 @ 35k miles looks about same as your 1 hour pic

Leather is most certainly not "natural," at all. Let's think about to whom it belonged first, before it was placed on your seat:

There is nothing “natural” about clothing made from animals’ skin or fur. In addition to causing the suffering and deaths of millions of animals each year, the production of wool, fur, and leather contributes to climate change, land devastation, pollution, and water contamination.

Source:

Wool, Fur, and Leather: Hazardous to the Environment

As a "green" environmentally-friendly car company, the fact that Tesla offers a murdered cow interior at all is hard to understand, especially given the stunning environmental and human toll from leather production:

http://gizmodo.com/how-leather-is-slowly-killing-the-people-and-places-tha-1572678618

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/the-process-of-turning-raw-cow-hide-into-leather-is-rea-1661441910

Reactions: Vortexx

View attachment 213463

What color and seat style is that? Seems worst than most that I've seen after such light use

Leather is most certainly not "natural," at all. Let's think about to whom it belonged first, before it was placed on your seat:

There is nothing “natural” about clothing made from animals’ skin or fur. In addition to causing the suffering and deaths of millions of animals each year, the production of wool, fur, and leather contributes to climate change, land devastation, pollution, and water contamination.

Source:

Wool, Fur, and Leather: Hazardous to the Environment

As a "green" environmentally-friendly car company, the fact that Tesla offers a murdered cow interior at all is hard to understand, especially given the stunning environmental and human toll from leather production:

http://gizmodo.com/how-leather-is-slowly-killing-the-people-and-places-tha-1572678618

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/the-process-of-turning-raw-cow-hide-into-leather-is-rea-1661441910
I do not disagree with your objection to use of leather for environmental and cruelty reasons. But I do disagree with your parsing of the language. Leather IS a natural material, meaning it is from nature as opposed to a material that is constructed or synthesized. And my point was that, as such, it has grains and is subject to irregularities.

I hope the 3 has synthetic or cloth seats that make you, me, and Hill happy.

I agree with OP, I prefer the minimalist look. Also, minimal wrinkles on my 3 1/2 year old P85+ with 42,000m...
View attachment 213485
I'm not sure how many of you watched the Superbowl today - Simply amazing......however More importantly - the Ford commercial.

I am not an advocate of HUD at all, however Ford seems to have encorperated M3 features such as an "ahhemm" decent looking HUD. The vents aren't hidden, however the steering wheel is. How minimal are you thinking about? LOL

upload_2017-2-5_22-20-20-png.213491

I agree with OP, I prefer the minimalist look. Also, minimal wrinkles on my 3 1/2 year old P85+ with 42,000m...
View attachment 213485
The seats on my 3 year old P85 look great as well. But everyone complained about how stiff they were, remember? So Tesla made a change and now we have the complaints about wear. My X has the white seats and there is no wrinkling after 11k miles and 10 months. Maybe the vegan interior is the way forward - but in multiple colors.