Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "intermittent" wipes are HORRIBLE! We need to be able to adjust in the UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. Wipers go bonkers under any precipitation conditions. I gave up completely and wipe the windscreen manually. Every other setting is WAAAY too fast. I just use a polish on the windshield now (sort of like RainX), which mostly negates the need for them. Annoying, but could be worse. At least they're easy to trigger manually.

Hmmm, and here I am, wishing for my wipers to be little bit _more_ sensitive...

I just don't understand why T doesn't use the touchscreen to make this and a myriad of other settings infinitely adjustable so people can set things up just the way they want. Surely its almost all simply a question of a few more lines of code?

My gripe is the lack of control over the safety gap with TACC engaged. I want a smaller gap for slower speeds and bigger for faster ones. The MS appears to do this but no-where near enough for my liking. Why not allow us to adjust it (as long as it is safe)?

Ditto the over-speed warning. I'd like to use it but why make it an arbitrary fixed number of mph over the limit? Much more sensible would be a couple of sliders that control a speed-related portion plus a fixed mph portion - this is how UK speed enforcement is implemented. The UK ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) stipulate a minimum of speed limit + 10% of the limit + 2mph as the threshold for legal action (ticket etc) to allow for discrepancies in speedo calibration. MW

I agree, this can be improved. My experience is that the low intermittent is often too low.
Tesla -

If you're listening, your wiper algorithms are the worst. I'm sorry. I love this car. I hate reading when people complain about little issues. But here's mine. Little as it may be, and I imagine very easily correctable by giving users some level of adjust ability in the UI somewhere.

We had a very light rain this morning. Light enough that I didn't have my wipers on for the most part. I've learned to hit the button on the end for a quick swipe (Because intermittent mode is horrible!) It finally was enough rain for me to warrant turning the wipers on to the lowest "intermittent" setting. Shortly after turning them on, they were on HIGH speed (Not intermittent high, HIGH like torrential rain storm high.)

All of the other drivers had their wipers off or on the lowest intermittent drivers. It's pretty bad when my 8 and 4 year old ask why I have the wipers so high since it's not really raining.

Please, Tesla, give us some options here?

Love,
Pat

I have a service appointment on Monday. Called the service center and sent them this video of the primary wiper issue. The other is the intermittent speed was inconsistent, one moment it was keeping up just fine with the rain (heavy at times) and the next it went into 'ludicrous' mode -- I could feel the other drivers starring at me thinking 'what the heck'.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/groups/teslaworldwide/permalink/407459612781235/[/video]

Where's the problem here? If rain is in the forecast (which is essentially never in CA) the car stays in the garage. I've removed the windshield wipers and noticed the enhanced aerodynamicicity. Once I've remodeled the house, the car will be the center piece of the family room and a whole lot more potential problems will disappear.

In Seattle rain, which tends to be more like a continual light misting, I've found the intermittent wipers to have two modes of operation:

1. That's just a persistent, light drizzle. No need to wipe that for you, even though the whole windshield is coated in moisture.
  2. Oh, wait. It _is_ raining. Oh sh*t. Need to wipe. Need to wipe now! Full speed. Oh my god. Wipe! Wipe! Wipe! Oh, wait - no, that's just a light drizzle. Back to mode #1.

I jest. I jest. Most of the time, it's more or less works ok. But man, occasionally it does go silly.

I am Aquapel + manual tap to wipe only at this point as all the settings are useless to me, unless I'm under the certain mist or spray conditions where I need to try (and laugh at) all the settings.

It's a true software car so every physical control should have settings, I am just not sure why we have no way to control of these vital car systems when it should be comparatively easy to have on an "advanced drive settings" or whatever page (and yes, I've developed).

I just don't understand why T doesn't use the touchscreen to make this and a myriad of other settings infinitely adjustable so people can set things up just the way they want. Surely its almost all simply a question of a few more lines of code?My gripe is the lack of control over the safety gap with TACC engaged. I want a smaller gap for slower speeds and bigger for faster ones. The MS appears to do this but no-where near enough for my liking. Why not allow us to adjust it (as long as it is safe)?Ditto the over-speed warning. I'd like to use it but why make it an arbitrary fixed number of mph over the limit? Much more sensible would be a couple of sliders that control a speed-related portion plus a fixed mph portion - this is how UK speed enforcement is implemented. The UK ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) stipulate a minimum of speed limit + 10% of the limit + 2mph as the threshold for legal action (ticket etc) to allow for discrepancies in speedo calibration. MW
In settings on the speed alert, set it to "relative speed" and choose an amount over that speed. Mine is set to 9 mph over the posted limit.

In Seattle rain, which tends to be more like a continual light misting, I've found the intermittent wipers to have two modes of operation:

1. That's just a persistent, light drizzle. No need to wipe that for you, even though the whole windshield is coated in moisture.
  2. Oh, wait. It _is_ raining. Oh sh*t. Need to wipe. Need to wipe now! Full speed. Oh my god. Wipe! Wipe! Wipe! Oh, wait - no, that's just a light drizzle. Back to mode #1.

I jest. I jest. Most of the time, it's more or less works ok. But man, occasionally it does go silly.

Not much different in my Mercedes-Benz. Too much or too little much of the time. I find the Benz is especially inaccurate in reduced lighting. Nighttime, it is very inaccurate (compared to what I would do manually). At least in the Benz, the intermittent wipe speed is essentially a fraction (up to 100%) of the standard wipe speed, and you can just set it for standard wiping if you wish. It does not go into the high speed in the auto mode. Sounds like Tesla shouldn't either.