Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla introduces new 420W solar panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
About a year after introducing the current 340W panel, Tesla is introducing a new, larger, 420W panel. This one is branded as a Tesla panel, and is likely a custom, contract-manufactured panel (I would assume by Hanwha). I don't think Tesla is making their own panels.

Similar efficiency, just larger. Tesla launches new 420-watt solar panel, setting 'high' mark

Edit: Looks like an all-black Q.Cell L-G8.2 utility-scale panel with a slightly different outer frame for roof attachment.

Screenshot 2021-07-14 081736.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
A while back I looked at the Q-Cell site and it simply seems like the panel itself if whatever percent larger.

That of course, is no different than the current 340 panel, especially because the pricing is not per panel but per watt.

might change the math for some people that couldn't fit an extra row on the south facing roof but maybe could fit a larger panel there.

might be a wash for the roofs that can fit multiple rows without issue.

might change the math for some people that couldn't fit an extra row on the south facing roof but maybe could fit a larger panel there.

might be a wash for the roofs that can fit multiple rows without issue.
Yup.

There are plenty of roof configurations where you could fit two 420s but not three 340s I would think, so the customer in that example could get 840 instead of 680, or 20% more from that part of their roof.

I see many posts on the Post Your Layout thread that are roof configuration limited not cost limited.

About a year after introducing the current 340W panel, Tesla is introducing a new, larger, 420W panel. This one is branded as a Tesla panel, and is likely a custom, contract-manufactured panel (I would assume by Hanwha). I don't think Tesla is making their own panels.

Similar efficiency, just larger. Tesla launches new 420-watt solar panel, setting 'high' mark

Edit: Looks like an all-black Q.Cell L-G8.2 utility-scale panel with a slightly different outer frame for roof attachment.

View attachment 684441

Guh - what a crappy article just to make a LOL 420!!11 joke... As @Southpasfan noted it's the same panel as the 340s just bigger but the article buries that until halfway in.

Too bad too because offering different sized panels is a good thing, but this isn't any new magic panel tech or anything like the headline implies.

Reactions: h2ofun