Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla intrusion without phone key/card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo with a 100 car garage. My neighbor claims her M3 was broken into and a briefcase stolen from her trunk. Case found on street, there was a robbery! No damage or sign of forced entry and she claims the car and trunk were locked. Are Teslas vulnerable to a tech hack enabling burglars to open vehicles without a phone key/card?

Just as much as any other car with keyless entry, so yes, it can be done, usually by a burglar having a kit that boosts the signals keys put out in the area. Its not a "tesla" thing though, I am sure you remember threads about hackers stealing BMWs in a similar manner.

Reactions: TSLY
Just as much as any other car with keyless entry, so yes, it can be done, usually by a burglar having a kit that boosts the signals keys put out in the area. Its not a "tesla" thing though, I am sure you remember threads about hackers stealing BMWs in a similar manner.
Thanks JJ, just came across recent article noting that hack.

...her M3 was broken into...
The most common cause would likely be that the car was unlocked and the owner thought it was locked.

If you have a logger like Teslafi.com, you can look back in history to see the lock/unlock status of your car.

Of course, it could be an electronic hack to gain access to your car but that is not the most common method.

If you plug in when you park the cord physically locks to the car, making it just that much harder to drive away with it. But thieves will be thieves, and there's little one can do to thwart them sometimes. There was a thread here years ago where the owners were driving the car onto the cord, making it harder to unplug it.

I read an account of the problem in a South African country where thieves would wait near a stop sign. When a car stopped, they'd yank open the door and pull the driver out, and speed away. One fellow had run a propane line to his door lock, so if anyone started pulling on his door, he'd flick the spark plug and a three-foot flame would greet the thief. Made a good mental image, at least, but having retracting door handles would also stop them for a while.

Reactions: mservoss and TSLY
I’m not losing my sleep over this. I park in my garage which is locked and
has security camera that sends me notifications with captured pictures and video.
I work at the naval base, so no one is breaking in or stealing cars there.
If thieves target my car and hijack it somewhere like Costco parking lot, i will simply call usaa and file a claim to get the money for the new car.
All of my friends and family members who got their cars stolen left their car unlocked with keys inside.

Pin to drive is useful to prevent someone from driving away with your car should they manage to gain entry.
Ever since I saw the video about Bluetooth relays being used to get into the car I started using pin to drive and pin to open the glove box.

But I wish it had a pin in general to unlock anything on the screen. I notice I can still open my garage door at home without a pin.

Ever since I saw the video about Bluetooth relays being used to get into the car I started using pin to drive and pin to open the glove box.

But I wish it had a pin in general to unlock anything on the screen. I notice I can still open my garage door at home without a pin.
This is why its important to always make sure the door from the garage to the house is always locked. One of my neighbors got robbed several years ago, when they opened their garage door, and went into the house thru an unlocked door from the garage. A smartlock, or pin code lock, etc, makes it easy to keep it locked without locking yourself out.