Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla inventory - 2 year old cars sold as new

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One to watch out for if you're buying inventory. I noticed it was odd that one of the cars on the Tesla website was facing the other way, on closer examination I noticed the range was slightly different, but it was showing as in transit and being a little cheaper might just be a model from earlier in the year.,

tesla.png

But I decided to check elsewhere... and it was built in 2019!!!!! Nowhere on the Tesla website did I see that mentioned or explained, and while lots of manufacturers build stuff and it can take a while before its sold, this is pre heat pump etc and a bunch of other changes - its pretty much had a mild facelift since this one was built.

You'd need to really know your stuff to work that out from the Tesla website. Is that a bit misleading of Tesla?

tesla-info.png

The chrome would most certainly be a giveaway upon delivery if you weren’t expecting it.

Reminds me of the times when manufacturers would do deals on pre-facelift new cars. Issue with those were that they were lost in the system and sometimes a couple of years old without it being started.

Wonder how it would affect an EV vehicle? I would personally be wanting a better saving than that.

They should most certainly be stating it’s a 2019!

Reactions: ringi
Maybe its some form of subliminal swipe left for China and swipe right for Fremont based on the way they're facing on the Tesla website? :)

You could be excused for thinking the discount was due to the slightly lower range, so you're right, you could easily make a mistake if you were new to the brand. That battery has probably sat flat as a pankcake somewehere for 18 months+

• Funny
Reactions: DrJFoster
I came close to buying a "new" car along these lines -- it was a demo, heavily discounted, and it seemed like a really attractive price (almost to the extent that I thought it was an error I could capitalise on).

Turned out the car was >4 years old. It was only "new" in the sense that it had never been registered. The price was fair -- in line with second-hand cars of similar vintage -- but I decided to pass, found a better deal. It left a bad taste -- the listing seemed less than fully honest (there was no indication of model year, among other things).

Good spot! - I actually nearly rang up to change my order as saw a new LR AWD in black with the 19 inch wheels for a tiny bit cheaper than a new white one -I have ordered....just looked at rendered pics and it does seem to have the chrome trim and old centre console

Good spot! - I actually nearly rang up to change my order as saw a new LR AWD in black with the 19 inch wheels for a tiny bit cheaper than a new white one -I have ordered....just looked at rendered pics and it does seem to have the chrome trim and old centre console
It shows how easy it is to be caught out - in your case luckily the price gave it away, but not so much here as there's on a grand or so in it.

Its a shame when a third party site gives better info than Tesla do.

Wonder if it was pulled from sale for rectification work and it’s now been fixed. No point in a RHD clogging up Fremont.
Its way over a year old. I know some complain about repair times but you'd hope Tesla were quicker than that with their own cars

It shows how easy it is to be caught out - in your case luckily the price gave it away, but not so much here as there's on a grand or so in it.

Its a shame when a third party site gives better info than Tesla do.

It’s more than “a shame” it’s bordering on deception on Tesla’s part IMHO

Reactions: Jez_GB
I’ve been looking for a demo/older model Tesla to purchase at a discount so was keen on this initially. But the pre-discount price they’re going on is 42990, even though a new ‘21 model starts at 40990. I asked if they’d take the adjustment based on the current price and was told to buy a new one.

I’ve been looking for a demo/older model Tesla to purchase at a discount so was keen on this initially. But the pre-discount price they’re going on is 42990, even though a new ‘21 model starts at 40990. I asked if they’d take the adjustment based on the current price and was told to buy a new one.
It really doesn’t make sense to buy an older one or ex demo based on discounts they offer (or don’t offer in this case) - only positive is for those who buy cash or on pcp it keeps value in the car

It really doesn’t make sense to buy an older one or ex demo based on discounts they offer (or don’t offer in this case) - only positive is for those who buy cash or on pcp it keeps value in the car
How come? If you don’t mind me asking.

I’ve seen 2021 models with 2-3k miles being sold 3k off, and because they’re demo you’d still be the first owner. They usually have minor differences, like the last lot of demos had the heat pump and electric boot, but the old doors. I figure 3k savings for a few miles and slightly different doors is worth it.

Reactions: ringi
How come? If you don’t mind me asking.

I’ve seen 2021 models with 2-3k miles being sold 3k off, and because they’re demo you’d still be the first owner. They usually have minor differences, like the last lot of demos had the heat pump and electric boot, but the old doors. I figure 3k savings for a few miles and slightly different doors is worth it.
Not bad if you have seen them at up to £3k off, when I looked around before the difference was about £1K - however when spending £50k on a car I would personally prefer brand new unless I’m saving a significant amount - e.g. I’ve had Audi and Mercedes ex demos in the past at up to 20% off which deffo makes it worthwhile, but for me £2/3k isn’t worth it

Reactions: Jez_GB
I'll bet that one is a showroom car that someone found down the back of the sofa somewhere, not an ex demo. Ex-demos have the mileage listed on the inventory site, even if they are declared as new cars.

And to be honest, as long as you know what you're getting, is a couple of grand off for the previous model so bad? Lots of people are perfectly happy with their 2019 Model 3s.

I'll bet that one is a showroom car that someone found down the back of the sofa somewhere, not an ex demo. Ex-demos have the mileage listed on the inventory site, even if they are declared as new cars.

And to be honest, as long as you know what you're getting, is a couple of grand off for the previous model so bad? Lots of people are perfectly happy with their 2019 Model 3s.
It’s brand new, still on the ship en route to the U.K. according to the guy I spoke to.
I’d be perfectly happy for a 2019, as long as the price is adjusted adequately. 39.2k for a 2019 model isn’t worth it in my book.

Reactions: OliLondon
Things are worth what people are prepared to pay I guess. I fleetingly spotted a 2020 LR with tow hook, EAP and Acceleration boost for 42k from Tesla (which would give it an extra years warranty) on Friday, It had about 15k miles but new price must have been about 53k so I recon somebody got a bargain unless it was removed because it was a mistake. I'd have paid 3k more and taken that over a the 2 year old SR+ listed above.

Reactions: Yev000