Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Inverter Error(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone seen the error below on their Tesla Inverter? The fan in my second unit doesn’t run as much as the first on so I went into the UI and saw this alert. Concerned I bounced the first one as well but it looked fine. I went back to the first one and did another reset and the error was gone and it started processing the self-testing just fine. Until I rebooted I didn’t have production issues or anything. Now I think I’ll check for errors every time after a reboot. The inverter appeared hung (not testing).

88BC4105-175F-48F6-A1B4-ED8EB8BCCB9D.jpeg

I get the exact same error. You may want to watch your strings on this inverter for a few minutes. I restarted the inverter last week and string 4 exhibited odd behavior.

248v -> 0v -> 248v ->0v then read “not connected”

after this cycle the inverter would restart its self checks. All the while not producing any AC.

the worst part is this only starts around the time the sun crests over my roof and this string has solar energy production. My curve drives up until about 12, and drops sharply from 16.5kw to 14.2 and then down to 12.8. Once the inverter hangs it’s never productive again on the same day.

I have Tesla coming to look on the 28th. I guess I have to live without peak production until then.

Upvote 0
Tesla came out and added coolant to the 3 inverters. I spoke to the tech about string 4 on inverter 3. He claimed it all checked out. This was monday. Today, 7/1, I restarted inverter 3 again, and found string 4 was not connected at all.

Once again production has been down 2.5-2.7 KW (approximately 8 panels worth) at peak sun since a few days after starting the system.

New service request has been placed with Tesla. Not sure why the tech did not listen to me, or accept the photos I shared with him of the problem while he was here.

Time to tweet Elon!

Upvote 0
I get the exact same error. You may want to watch your strings on this inverter for a few minutes. I restarted the inverter last week and string 4 exhibited odd behavior.

248v -> 0v -> 248v ->0v then read “not connected”

after this cycle the inverter would restart its self checks. All the while not producing any AC.

the worst part is this only starts around the time the sun crests over my roof and this string has solar energy production. My curve drives up until about 12, and drops sharply from 16.5kw to 14.2 and then down to 12.8. Once the inverter hangs it’s never productive again on the same day.

I have Tesla coming to look on the 28th. I guess I have to live without peak production until then.

Wait... they gave you a month lead time to inspect one of their own branded inverters? I thought Tesla was just being time-impacted by SolarEdge on their inverters. Losing a month's production (even if it's "only on 8 panels" in the prime month of the year just to have someone look into the issue is no joke.

Upvote 0
Wait... they gave you a month lead time to inspect one of their own branded inverters? I thought Tesla was just being time-impacted by SolarEdge on their inverters. Losing a month's production (even if it's "only on 8 panels" in the prime month of the year just to have someone look into the issue is no joke.
That’s a myth or old information that Tesla wants you to believe. When my SolarEdge inverter failed I called SE directly and had a warranty replacement shipped to me directly within a week. Tesla took nearly two weeks to come out and that was fast for them… mainly because I’m in the Northeast and they don’t seem as slammed here as in the south and west.

And I say this as a shareholder(long), so I’m not just spreading FUD. I hope they get their act together in the long run.

Upvote 0
Tesla came out and added coolant to the 3 inverters. I spoke to the tech about string 4 on inverter 3. He claimed it all checked out. This was monday. Today, 7/1, I restarted inverter 3 again, and found string 4 was not connected at all.

Once again production has been down 2.5-2.7 KW (approximately 8 panels worth) at peak sun since a few days after starting the system.

New service request has been placed with Tesla. Not sure why the tech did not listen to me, or accept the photos I shared with him of the problem while he was here.

Time to tweet Elon!
My smaller 3.8kw inverter is doesn’t make that gurgling noise the larger one does but I haven’t seen any production issues. I might bounce them and see what the web interface show on both.

So you’ve seen production issues that had you look into what the inverters might be doing.

Upvote 0
my system just died this morning. installation was 11/2020 so I'm just at the 7 month mark. Inverter is showing red on the alert icon and yellow on the info icon. They put me on the queue to come out to look at it on August 30th. :(

Up until 9am this morning, the 8.16kW system was cranking out a good 36kW each day. but now I'm looking at 6 weeks without solar. Is there anything I can do to to reset the system to see if it'll clear the fault? (The M8-TL-US manual that matches my inverter says it's an Arc fault)

Upvote 0
my system just died this morning. installation was 11/2020 so I'm just at the 7 month mark. Inverter is showing red on the alert icon and yellow on the info icon. They put me on the queue to come out to look at it on August 30th. :(

Up until 9am this morning, the 8.16kW system was cranking out a good 36kW each day. but now I'm looking at 6 weeks without solar. Is there anything I can do to to reset the system to see if it'll clear the fault? (The M8-TL-US manual that matches my inverter says it's an Arc fault)
Is that a Delta inverter?

Upvote 0
My smaller 3.8kw inverter is doesn’t make that gurgling noise the larger one does but I haven’t seen any production issues. I might bounce them and see what the web interface show on both.

So you’ve seen production issues that had you look into what the inverters might be doing.
Yes I did. Its an obvious issue when you see the chart, doesn’t follow a nice curve, and I live in phoenix. Sun is at a premium, not issues due to clouds. More importantly its 2.5kw or so per hour, and 8x340w panels on string 4 (the string that shows not connected or flops).

Upvote 0
After my reset it was fine but I wish I could just connect to the device and view errors without resetting it. Who knows what happens during the reset. Tesla might have this capability but would be nice if the customer did as well.
You can. Download the m tool delta app and use the date code to log in. Click on menu RMA to generate a report. You will need to fill in your contact information on the tab then you can email the errors to yourself
707A0260-256A-4B76-A407-E223D66ED11F.jpeg

After my reset it was fine but I wish I could just connect to the device and view errors without resetting it. Who knows what happens during the reset. Tesla might have this capability but would be nice if the customer did as well.

Upvote 0
You can. Download the m tool delta app and use the date code to log in. Click on menu RMA to generate a report. You will need to fill in your contact information on the tab then you can email the errors to yourselfView attachment 752611

Hello,

You zombie rezzed two different threads to talk about the M tool. Are you saying that works with the Tesla inverter and not just delta here?

Upvote 0