Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla inverter in hot climate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone in a hot climate used the Tesla inverter? My worry is the operating range of 113 *F. Even in the garage the summer months could exceed that. Summer is coming up quick and those triple digit days are not far off.

It's a mystery to me why you have consecutive inverters overheating, maybe Tesla inverters are really that bad. My inverter is outdoor with direct sunlight exposure at least 6-8 hours daily and I suspect internal temperature exceeds 80 degree F easily considering my Model S interior temperature is above 77 degree F most days and it is inside the garage. Did you consider placing a thermostat inside the casing to check the temperature? Where is your inverter placed? Is there enough airflow around it? I suspect it has to be something else.

It shuts down due to over heating usually when its producing over 4kw. This will be my 3rd inverter in 2 months once they replace it. About 3 weeks wait each time
It's a mystery to me why you have consecutive inverters overheating, maybe Tesla inverters are really that bad. My inverter is outdoor with direct sunlight exposure at least 6-8 hours daily and I suspect internal temperature exceeds 80 degree F easily considering my Model S interior temperature is above 77 degree F most days and it is inside the garage. Did you consider placing a thermostat inside the casing to check the temperature? Where is your inverter placed? Is there enough airflow around it? I suspect it has to be something else.
its inside the garage. I can hear the fan running, the metal part inside the inverter feels very hot. Its a 450 sqft garage with 8 foot ceiling height. I tried disconnecting one string at a time but the issue still happens whenever it produces over 4-4.5 kw

Has anyone in a hot climate used the Tesla inverter? My worry is the operating range of 113 *F. Even in the garage the summer months could exceed that. Summer is coming up quick and those triple digit days are not far off.
Mine have been fine thus far on the south side of my home outside honestly without a single issue (Texas). They are loud when hot and you can at times hear the liquid moving through the system to keep them cool. Tesla would have though of the high temps but I'm not sure how it impacts the operating efficiency however.

Mine have been fine thus far on the south side of my home outside honestly without a single issue (Texas). They are loud when hot and you can at times hear the liquid moving through the system to keep them cool. Tesla would have though of the high temps but I'm not sure how it impacts the operating efficiency however.

I did not know they were liquid cooled.

According to the specs there is a note next to operating range that says:

For the 7.6 kW Solar Inverter, performance may be de-rated to 6.2 kW at 240 V or 5.37 kW at 208 V when operating at temperatures greater than 45°C.

I did not know they were liquid cooled.

According to the specs there is a note next to operating range that says:

For the 7.6 kW Solar Inverter, performance may be de-rated to 6.2 kW at 240 V or 5.37 kW at 208 V when operating at temperatures greater than 45°C.
Correct, hopefully the cooling system keeps it well below that since it’s not air cooled.

I've done some infrared thermometer spot measurements on my Tesla Inverter. On the hottest day so far this year, with inside the garage is around 85F/30C where the inverter is located, the temps on the silver metal cover is in the low 50C, while the coolant lines are around 54-56C. When the pump output line to the radiator gets to 56C, the fan turns on for maybe 30s before shutting off again.

For the first few days, I could hear what sounded like water trickling/flowing sound from inside the inverter, which others have also mentioned, but it has since disappeared.