Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Inverter Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the service adviser and he told me since I do not have PTO and not officially turn on the system now, the reporting from the app may be wrong. He asked me to wait until PTO and check again. I guess I will have to wait until PTO. Not sure if PTO and some official activation will make a difference at all.

I called the service adviser and he told me since I do not have PTO and not officially turn on the system now, the reporting from the app may be wrong. He asked me to wait until PTO and check again. I guess I will have to wait until PTO. Not sure if PTO and some official activation will make a difference at all.
That sounds like BS to me. Nothing in the system will change with PTO

Agreed. However, Tesla is now dumping information previous to PTO from their databases. They messed up the date on ours and dumped 3 months AFTER PTO and say they have no way of recovering the information. Not a big deal in a multi-decade system, but still...
I contacted tesla chat customer service before calling the service advisor. The online agent assured me that the system was working good although she refused to provide me any further info and insisted that I kept the system turned off. I guess I'll have to wait for PTO before they acknowledge any error and send over maintenance team.

I don't know if there is a web ui. I use the Tesla app (same app for the car) to monitor solar production.

There is a web UI.

You can log in locally. Here is a link from tesla as to the steps you need to take to do so.

Just to clarify, you won’t be able to see much with TEG2, if you want to see the output of individual strings and instant total output (the app shows you the instant total output already), you need to connect to the Tesla inverter SSID, then do 192.168.92.1, you will see the data for 15 minutes, actual time is less because it takes a few minutes to complete the self test - you do this only after you power cycle the inverter.

Just to clarify, you won’t be able to see much with TEG2, if you want to see the output of individual strings and instant total output (the app shows you the instant total output already), you need to connect to the Tesla inverter SSID, then do 192.168.92.1, you will see the data for 15 minutes, actual time is less because it takes a few minutes to complete the self test - you do this only after you power cycle the inverter.
Yep, it works pretty well but I noticed because I haven’t gained PTO the system hasn’t been put in production so I’m not seeing everything. In the app or through the web interface.

E823810F-6795-4B7D-86CB-ED0AE42F6C9B.jpeg

It’s 192.168.92.1 (192.168.91.1 is TEG2), once connected you should be presented another login screen using your own email address withiut password. Then you should see all 4 MPPT strings though I suspect they would only use 3 in your case and the 4th one would be jumpered and has near identical output in V and A as the one jumpered with. Output of those individual strings should add up to the instant output, you may be able to spot anything strange with any of the strings.

Just to update everyone, I had my rep (who I now consider a friend) reach out to the local install manager at the facility that services most of my area(while I was on the phone), and he mentioned that they have had some commissioning issues with some units and some bracket install issues, but nothing too major to report. Two different reps on the Tesla CS lines had not heard of these so-called rampant Inverter issues and all said they would be first to know if there was an issue like this as they wouldn't be including them in the designs. My view is there are definitely some issues with these inverters but only time will tell how large of an issue it is.

Just to update everyone, I had my rep (who I now consider a friend) reach out to the local install manager at the facility that services most of my area(while I was on the phone), and he mentioned that they have had some commissioning issues with some units and some bracket install issues, but nothing too major to report. Two different reps on the Tesla CS lines had not heard of these so-called rampant Inverter issues and all said they would be first to know if there was an issue like this as they wouldn't be including them in the designs. My view is there are definitely some issues with these inverters but only time will tell how large of an issue it is.

Thanks very much for circling back and giving your opinions and what you found when you asked.

Reactions: cobra
Today is the first day since official activation. I got the new inverter and can see my energy production as well as consumption (although I do not have powerwall). Now something interesting happened. I see two big dips on a completely cloudless sunny day. Then the home consumption dropped simultaneously, indicating that there are some major issues with the software or converter. I have a pic here and you will know what I mean. It is indeed hard to convince the customer service that there is issue with my system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210408-162115_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-162115_Tesla.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210408_164122.jpg
    20210408_164122.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 84
Good call on the SE, my install crew said the failures (SE) were killing them. Mostly due to the turnaround time but you are correct in saying something is going to drop just not sure what with these new inverters. At least there should be a quick turnaround and no middle man as they say.

Best of luck with your install.

Received PTO a week ago. System was running fine until a few days ago when the app reported no production. I reinstalled the app and sent a ping to the gateway. Assumption is that the problem exists within the inverter. Submitted a ticket to Tesla and waiting for reply...