Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Inverter + Neurio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone! I tried searching through the forums first but could not find anything that seemed to directly relate to what I was looking for. If this has already been discussed I am very sorry....

Hopefully my first post doesn't get buried, but I was hoping to find out some information about the new Tesla Inverter + a Neurio that was installed this past week when I received Solar. I don't have PTO yet so I can't verify any of this but I was hoping someone here has some experience. I would have asked the tech but at the time I didn't understand what he was showing me. I did not buy a Powerwall as it is not really necessary in my area/for my situation, however I can see that a Neurio was installed in my breaker panel box. It only has one CT connected and I'm no electrician so I am not sure what the line it is connected to is called, but it is connected around one of the two main lines from my utility company that come in to the box.

1) I am assuming this is some way to help them determine the solar production of the system.
2) I assume this also means I do not have the full monitoring that others have where they can see usage by their home, what is being used/fed into the grid, as well as solar production.

I am unsure of #2 due to the fact that it's the new Tesla Inverter and I am unsure what that inverter itself monitors. Also because I don't have PTO quite yet.

That said, if 1 and 2 are indeed correct, does anyone know if it is possible to get additional CTs and potentially set up my Tesla Inverter to monitor that data as well? I assume this is what is being done when a Powerwall is in the loop and as such I would assume it is just some settings that may be changeable when connecting to the Tesla Inverter via it's Web UI.

Let me know if any pictures are necessary and thank you in advance for any and all help

-Mike

Hi - and welcome. I have a solar roof (not panels), a Delta inverter, and no powerwalls. I'm very interested in what part the new Tesla inverter plays in your monitoring capabilities. I have a powerblaster in my circuit breaker box which I think is very similar if not the same as your Neurio. It has 2 CTs around the 2 main lines coming into my breaker box.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 6.47.36 PM.png

Tesla should know the solar production from the inverter (no CT needed), so I would assume your Neurio and CT are for monitoring grid usage (home usage is derived from solar + grid). I don't know why you only have 1 CT, though if you posted a picture there a few experts here that can probably tell you.

The current consensus from other threads seems to be that you won't be able to add your own monitoring components and see the results in the Tesla app - but hardly anyone has the new inverter, so who knows ...

Pictures would be helpful.

I can't think of realistic practical way to monitor house load with only one CT. You can however monitor PV production with just one CT. So you are likely correct in guesses on what the Neurio is monitoring. It's possible that they don't have the software for monitoring production directly from Tesla but that is just pure speculation.

Hi - and welcome. I have a solar roof (not panels), a Delta inverter, and no powerwalls. I'm very interested in what part the new Tesla inverter plays in your monitoring capabilities. I have a powerblaster in my circuit breaker box which I think is very similar if not the same as your Neurio. It has 2 CTs around the 2 main lines coming into my breaker box.

View attachment 641453

Tesla should know the solar production from the inverter (no CT needed), so I would assume your Neurio and CT are for monitoring grid usage (home usage is derived from solar + grid). I don't know why you only have 1 CT, though if you posted a picture there a few experts here that can probably tell you.

The current consensus from other threads seems to be that you won't be able to add your own monitoring components and see the results in the Tesla app - but hardly anyone has the new inverter, so who knows ...

Yeah I was unable to find much info about what the Inverter actually monitors. I was unsure if there is some sort of web-base UI that I can connect to via the local IP address when it is connected to my local network. I had seen in another thread where people posted pictures of some UI (I am unsure what it was) where they were configuring what each of the Power Blaster/Neurio values were tied to.

That's why I was curious if maybe it would be possible to just add my own CTs in to the Neurio, connect to the Inverter, and tell it what each of the inputs should be tied to. While it is a shame since they had the functionality before, I am thinking worst case I will just buy a separate monitor.

I can't think of realistic practical way to monitor house load with only one CT. You can however monitor PV production with just one CT. So you are likely correct in guesses on what the Neurio is monitoring. It's possible that they don't have the software for monitoring production directly from Tesla but that is just pure speculation.

My setup is getting its final inspection this afternoon so I will send pictures after that is finished. Thanks again for the info!

The neurio can monitor 4 channels... you can set it up as site, solar, load or conductor.

But I don't think you want to set it up to monitor anything more than it is there already because it will see those new CT as part of the system instead of allowing you to setup what it is monitoring like the other products.

For example, your gateway is using the internal meter to meter site (your house), you can have neurio also monitor the site if you clip the CT at the main breaker, but doing so will double the energy flow in the app and make your reading inaccurate.

And since you can only set it up in 1 of those 4 option in the TEG setup, and you probably already have solar and site setup already, you will need to figure out how load and conductor work and how they affect the app reading

They came and did my inspection and the tech that came who works for Tesla said he is going to look in to what the set up is with a new Tesla Inverter and get back to me. He thought it would be strange that they installed a Neurio simply for PV monitoring, since he said that was possible from the Inverter himself. If he does get back to me I'll follow up what I find here.

Here is a picture of the setup inside the breaker panel box.

Attachments

• BreakerPanel.JPG
    BreakerPanel.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 631
So an update, the Technician got back to me and said they are being instructed to install the Neurio/Generacs with the Tesla Inverter. He wasn't the one that did the install so he is unsure what they are being used for, but talked to his manager and they are going to come out tomorrow and installed a second CT around the line coming in to the breaker panel.

Again, all of this is fairly new to me so I don't really know what the point of them installing the Neurio is with the current Tesla Inverter setup, but the tech on the phone said worst case I can use the Generac Pwrview app to monitor my consumption, but he is still confident that the Neurio will tie in to the inverter and give me consumption data.

Thats interesting, because they have been telling customers that they "are out of" the neurios when they ask for them with the other inverters. The neurio is how you get consumption data if you have the delta or solar edge inverters (in the tesla app).

We all thought it might be built into the tesla inverter, but now this sounds like it might not be? if they install that power blaster, you should be able to get consumption data in the tesla app.

Thats interesting, because they have been telling customers that they "are out of" the neurios when they ask for them with the other inverters. The neurio is how you get consumption data if you have the delta or solar edge inverters (in the tesla app).

We all thought it might be built into the tesla inverter, but now this sounds like it might not be? if they install that power blaster, you should be able to get consumption data in the tesla app.

I have a delta M8, and Sunrun did install a Neurio but I am actually only using the internal meter for site and the aux for solar.

I was actually puzzling why Sunrun installed a neurio and monitor home usage instead of using the internal meter?

@M3Solar - thanks for posting the network map. It is interesting to see that the Neurio connects to Tesla's inverter via its own wi-fi network. I think in my setup both the powerblaster (neurio) and my delta inverter communicate to my solar gateway (little black box) over zigbee.
This is similar to the original Powerwall Backup Gateway. The Gateway computer and the factory installed Neurio are paired at the factory. They have designed the Tesla inverter with a similar computer and connectivity scheme.

So an update, the Technician got back to me and said they are being instructed to install the Neurio/Generacs with the Tesla Inverter. He wasn't the one that did the install so he is unsure what they are being used for, but talked to his manager and they are going to come out tomorrow and installed a second CT around the line coming in to the breaker panel.
It's good that they are coming back to install the second CT. It's clearly not going to measure correctly with only one. They could get "close" by doubling the reading from one, but any imbalance between L1 & L2 from using 120V appliances would create measurement error.

The tech came out today and installed the second CT. He assured me that both he and his boss confirm that I will have production and consumption data in my app... I will confirm in a week or two when I get PTO.

He also said that there had been some misinformation and they had been told to only install 1 CT but that they put out a memo to start using 2CTs after my tech brought it to their attention.

BreakerPanel.JPG

Much better! Curious - does your Neurio have an antenna that goes through a hole in the breaker box? It doesn't look like it from your other picture, but I wasn't sure. I ask because my powerblaster does not have an external antenna but a Neurio install video I watched showed an external antenna and how to punch it through the breaker box. I've wondered whether connectivity is or will be an issue for my powerblaster.

Much better! Curious - does your Neurio have an antenna that goes through a hole in the breaker box? It doesn't look like it from your other picture, but I wasn't sure. I ask because my powerblaster does not have an external antenna but a Neurio install video I watched showed an external antenna and how to punch it through the breaker box. I've wondered whether connectivity is or will be an issue for my powerblaster.
upload_2021-3-5_14-58-36.png

Do you think this would work with a delta inverter? I've been told that I can't get a neurio because they discontinued the zigbee ones, and am wondering if the wifi one needs a tesla inverter or if it could connect directly to my home wifi.
Unfortunately I am unsure. If it's a Tesla installed delta inverter and they had been using the powerblaster with this setup in the past, I would assume it's not set up for this. Before I realized the Neurio is likely going to give me consumption data I had begun to look at alternate way to get the data I would have wanted outside of Tesla's ecosystem.

This is all presumption on my part, but it sounds like Tesla was making the transition to the new Tesla Inverter, which connects to the consumption monitor via WiFi, but were still installing 3rd party inverters and ran out of Powerblasters since the new setup no longer requires them...