Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Inverter + Neurio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so my setup might be a little different from most but it looks like Tesla was successful. The root of my problem was with where the CTs where placed. I have a junction box where the power is split out of the meter before it hits the main panel. The CTs need to be located in that box not the panel, plus they moved the site meter connection to the larger inverter. Unfortunately this needed some extra work to re-route the CT's but was completed today. looking forward to a full day of good data from the app (hopefully tomorrow) for the first time.

I will say that these new W2-Tesla Neurio devices were(are) a pain for them to work through. They are going through a learning curve with them and apparently they are significantly harder to deal with than the W1 or previous Neurio device they installed with that little black gateway box.

I also need to give a huge thanks to the technician they sent out to resolve the issue. it took a few hours and he stuck with it, got parts and completed the job. He was personable and exhibited outstanding customer service. If Tesla adopts this behavior throughout their support model they will be unstoppable!

View attachment 656552
Thank you for posting this gives me some hope of getting my app to report accurate data after 2 months since PTO.

So to make sure, you have 2 tesla inverters ( large + small), initially Neurio was linked to smaller inverter and to get it to work it had to be paired to the larger inverter?

I agree with you, they have no clue about the reporting side of Neurio + Tesla inverter. I was the 2nd Tesla inverter install for my installer took 3 days to get the wiring and CT's done. I pulled my existing monitoring system (Emporia) before tesla install ( which I regret now) since I didn't want any issues with inspections. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out why Tesla would deploy this stuff without proper testing and knowledge dealing with multiple configurations. Even on the design phase I had to intervene to use extra channels (power point trackers) to match my minor shading. Initially they had SE as the inverter and whoever at the design desk slammed the Tesla inverter without any due diligence and sent out for installation. SMH

Thank you for posting this gives me some hope of getting my app to report accurate data after 2 months since PTO.

So to make sure, you have 2 tesla inverters ( large + small), initially Neurio was linked to smaller inverter and to get it to work it had to be paired to the larger inverter?

I agree with you, they have no clue about the reporting side of Neurio + Tesla inverter. I was the 2nd Tesla inverter install for my installer took 3 days to get the wiring and CT's done. I pulled my existing monitoring system (Emporia) before tesla install ( which I regret now) since I didn't want any issues with inspections. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out why Tesla would deploy this stuff without proper testing and knowledge dealing with multiple configurations. Even on the design phase I had to intervene to use extra channels (power point trackers) to match my minor shading. Initially they had SE as the inverter and whoever at the design desk slammed the Tesla inverter without any due diligence and sent out for installation. SMH

I also have an emporia now and was planning to remove it before Tesla come so its cleaner for them to work in the panel. Why did you regret removing that? can't you add it back in after?

I didn't want to go into ANOTHER redesign and delay things further, so I'm just planning on asking the install crew to adjust the string/MPPT once they are on site. more to deal with potential clipping issue rather than shades

I also have an emporia now and was planning to remove it before Tesla come so its cleaner for them to work in the panel. Why did you regret removing that? can't you add it back in after?

I didn't want to go into ANOTHER redesign and delay things further, so I'm just planning on asking the install crew to adjust the string/MPPT once they are on site. more to deal with potential clipping issue rather than shades
I am dying to add emporia but after adding breakers, sub panel wiring the main panel is completely packed. I am planning to add another box to house the emporio.

Wish you luck with changing on the fly. Conduit sizing to roof is barely enough for original design. Mine actually failed inspection for using the wrong gauge wire. The tech used thinner wire since design didn't call for the right size conduit. They had to come back and redo conduit and wiring to pass. I was not at home last day or I would've caught that.

I am dying to add emporia but after adding breakers, sub panel wiring the main panel is completely packed. I am planning to add another box to house the emporio.

Wish you luck with changing on the fly. Conduit sizing to roof is barely enough for original design. Mine actually failed inspection for using the wrong gauge wire. The tech used thinner wire since design didn't call for the right size conduit. They had to come back and redo conduit and wiring to pass. I was not at home last day or I would've caught that.

ideally, it would add 1 more run down the "to roof" conduit, but I have a "slightly" less ideal backup plan that doesn't require a new run

Ok so my setup might be a little different from most but it looks like Tesla was successful. The root of my problem was with where the CTs where placed. I have a junction box where the power is split out of the meter before it hits the main panel. The CTs need to be located in that box not the panel, plus they moved the site meter connection to the larger inverter. Unfortunately this needed some extra work to re-route the CT's but was completed today. looking forward to a full day of good data from the app (hopefully tomorrow) for the first time.

I will say that these new W2-Tesla Neurio devices were(are) a pain for them to work through. They are going through a learning curve with them and apparently they are significantly harder to deal with than the W1 or previous Neurio device they installed with that little black gateway box.

I also need to give a huge thanks to the technician they sent out to resolve the issue. it took a few hours and he stuck with it, got parts and completed the job. He was personable and exhibited outstanding customer service. If Tesla adopts this behavior throughout their support model they will be unstoppable!

View attachment 656552
Looks like I have the exact same issue. So Neurio is supposed to monitor grid data, not home data?
I have this same hoffman tap box, and my neurio is connected in main panel, which is monitoring HOME data, but showing as GRID in tesla app (and always +ve watts under tesla inverter Site Meter Instant Flow)

Looks like I have the exact same issue. So Neurio is supposed to monitor grid data, not home data?
I have this same hoffman tap box, and my neurio is connected in main panel, which is monitoring HOME data, but showing as GRID in tesla app (and always +ve watts under tesla inverter Site Meter Instant Flow)
In the Tesla system, Grid, Solar, Powerwall are measured quantities and Home is a calculated quantity. If the Grid CTs are not measuring the true grid power flow, the Home quantity will be incorrect.

Reactions: Hebert
Any update on this situation. I too have neurio and a delta inverter, no powerwall. I called tesla support they said it should work. They sent out a tech and the tech said tier 2 support said no. I see a neurio wifi id. Do we have proof it works? I want to confirm before I call back. Also any way to connect a neurio app to the wifi I see?