Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Inverter not RGM-capable [RGM = Revenue grade meter]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to inform people, I have been held up from registering my system with New Jersey's TREC program due to the Telsa inverter not being RGM capable. Tesla has told me they are working on new firmware to pair with a Neurio w-2 meter that they will come install in the next few week (aka months). I had my system installed in February and I know Tesla does not let customer keep their TRECs anymore, but just incase someone is in the same boat as me I wanted to add some information to the community.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj and MCNE
It is great information to provide, and helps confirm earlier information about why Tesla has not been allowing customers to keep their RECs - because their inverters are not certified revenue-grade meters. Likely Tesla decided it was easier to just buy the credits and then eat the lost revenue until they can get their devices certified. It will be interesting to see if once they do get things certified whether they let customers opt to keep the RECs in the future.

Interesting. Well he's really their gateway or backup switch that matter.

The gateway is advertised on the data sheet as revenue accurate +/- 0.2% guess that's why they don't list it as revenue grade meters

I came across the same thing for my PV install -- PNM the local utility will not use the inverter reading. It ended up not being a big deal because I only had to install the meter base; PNM plugs in their own meter.

And to give PNM where (dis)credit is due -- I opted out of REC payments so the meter is used for nothing

I came across the same thing for my PV install -- PNM the local utility will not use the inverter reading. It ended up not being a big deal because I only had to install the meter base; PNM plugs in their own meter.

And to give PNM where (dis)credit is due -- I opted out of REC payments so the meter is used for nothing
good point, my local utility use the new smart meter for net metering anyway and do not rely on any reading from Tesla

• Helpful
Reactions: charlesj
good point, my local utility use the new smart meter for net metering anyway and do not rely on any reading from Tesla
Depending on the type and location of the meter, that doesn't resolve the issue for purposes of RECs. My utility uses a smart meter for net metering, but it only records net flows between the utility and the home side - it does not know how much of that net flow on my side of the meter is from consumption and how much is from solar generation.

Prior to Tesla installing their own inverters, many of the inverters they used included a built-in RGM. It was thought Tesla might also have done so but perhaps it was just not yet ANSI-certified. However, the report from OP suggests that additional hardware may be required to get to revenue-grade standards.

Somebody who does own their RECs and has a Tesla inverter could presumably also choose to have their own meter installed, and there are a number of options, including basic ones up to ones that automate all the production reporting.

I just want to inform people, I have been held up from registering my system with New Jersey's TREC program due to the Telsa inverter not being RGM capable. Tesla has told me they are working on new firmware to pair with a Neurio w-2 meter that they will come install in the next few week (aka months). I had my system installed in February and I know Tesla does not let customer keep their TRECs anymore, but just incase someone is in the same boat as me I wanted to add some information to the community.
@socbrian Great info here, thanks for contributing. I had PTO in April 2021 for my 8.16 solar panels in NJ. I am lost in what the process is to register my system. I called Tesla several time and have been getting the run around, saying they will be doing all the processing for registration, they are backed up. What steps did you take if any, regarding the process to enroll in the TREC program? nj clean energy certification? Any guidance you can provide appreciated.

The issue is not how to calculate the numbers but having a revenue-grade meter that actually measures the inverter production. For purposes of claiming REC credits, most (maybe all states) require a revenue-grade meter that directly measures solar production.

You said
Somebody who does own their RECs and has a Tesla inverter could presumably also choose to have their own meter installed

My point is that someone in that position does not need another meter to monitor home consumption because they are highly unlikely to care about a fraction of a kWh

---
And as I mentioned earlier, putting a RGM into an inverter is no guarantee that you local utility will use it. If my utility is anything to go by, they choose a couple SKUs for their convenience and refuse anything else, RGM or not.

You said

My point is that someone in that position does not need another meter to monitor home consumption because they are highly unlikely to care about a fraction of a kWh

---
And as I mentioned earlier, putting a RGM into an inverter is no guarantee that you local utility will use it. If my utility is anything to go by, they choose a couple SKUs for their convenience and refuse anything else, RGM or not.
This original post in this topic is about the NJ TREC program and the need for RGMs. These meters are required to measure the amount of solar being generated - not the home consumption - for compliance with most state REC programs (including the NJ TREC program.) These programs do not involve the utility - the utility may eventually buy the RECs but is not the entity to which the homeowner reports their production or the entity which generates the REC itself.

As described https://njcleanenergy.com/renewable-energy/programs/metering-requirements/production-meter-requirements-solar-projects-srecs, NJ requires that:
All solar energy systems eligible to earn SRECs must report system production based upon readings from a revenue-grade meter that meets the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard C12.1-2008. This meter is in addition to the electric meter installed by the local utility to measure the home or business’ electric consumption

This is the meter that is currently missing (or missing certification) from Tesla inverters. OP has indicated that Tesla is deploying a solution that might include both hardware and software, but an alternative is to install an RGM on your own to measure this instead of waiting on Tesla.

@socbrian Great info here, thanks for contributing. I had PTO in April 2021 for my 8.16 solar panels in NJ. I am lost in what the process is to register my system. I called Tesla several time and have been getting the run around, saying they will be doing all the processing for registration, they are backed up. What steps did you take if any, regarding the process to enroll in the TREC program? nj clean energy certification? Any guidance you can provide appreciated.
I'm in the same boat but a little further. I kept my TRECS. Tesla will submit the application before PTO and you should get an email from the program saying it was accepted. Then after PTO they submit an 'As Built' update. Then you should get a registration number from the program. Tesla will then ask you if you want to use srectrade.com to sell your TREC for you. I'm stuck at the 'As Built' stage. Literally right now I'm on with Tesla and they told me about the W2 debacle which brought me to this thread. Now I'm waiting for a firmware patch as the others have mentioned. Maybe I should have taken the $8K. Call Tesla every chance you get. They will pick up eventually. Today it was 45 minutes. Just keep badgering them every couple weeks. They have cases entered which they can track the progress of your issue. Good Luck. Oh my PTO was in May but I got the application filled back in December....

I'm in the same boat but a little further. I kept my TRECS. Tesla will submit the application before PTO and you should get an email from the program saying it was accepted. Then after PTO they submit an 'As Built' update. Then you should get a registration number from the program. Tesla will then ask you if you want to use srectrade.com to sell your TREC for you. I'm stuck at the 'As Built' stage. Literally right now I'm on with Tesla and they told me about the W2 debacle which brought me to this thread. Now I'm waiting for a firmware patch as the others have mentioned. Maybe I should have taken the $8K. Call Tesla every chance you get. They will pick up eventually. Today it was 45 minutes. Just keep badgering them every couple weeks. They have cases entered which they can track the progress of your issue. Good Luck. Oh my PTO was in May but I got the application filled back in December....
This is great info. So in my case I never got an email saying the application was accepted. I had pto in late March.