Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Inverter not RGM-capable [RGM = Revenue grade meter]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@socbrian any updates for you?

@hendo42 when did you order and how were you able to keep your TRECs? Or SuSIs?

@JPnoice note that this whole discussion is only relevant if you requested to keep your TRECs. if Tesla gave you an up front discount, it's their problem and there's nothing for you to worry about.
I originally ordered the system in 2020 (with the SolarEdge inverter) and bought the TRECs. After permit delays the install was pushed to March 2021. By then they stopped delivering SolarEdge inverters and installed the Tesla inverter. If knew this BS I would have insisted on the SolarEdge inverter.

The latest... After Tesla failed to submit the necessary documentation before the expiring TREC, I called BPU and they told me I could be eligible for the new 'ADI' (Administratively Determined Incentive) program. It's $90/MWH. You have to write a petition to get in. I have, and my hearing is soon. Should know the results in a couple weeks.

The latest... After Tesla failed to submit the necessary documentation before the expiring TREC, I called BPU and they told me I could be eligible for the new 'ADI' (Administratively Determined Incentive) program. It's $90/MWH. You have to write a petition to get in. I have, and my hearing is soon. Should know the results in a couple weeks.
Interesting.. I thought it was only 80~ something a MWH. I am still waiting on my cert # from the state. They seemed very backed up.

I received word back from Tesla and they told me they are readdressing these 'lost' projects.

"Yes, we can now submit your project to the ADI Program which works in the same manner as the transition (TREC Program). This only recently changed and I have been trying to go back to all of the projects that have been pending final approval such as yours."

Reactions: lensovet
Wowsers. I'm very late for this thread. But, for what it's worth:

The solar panels and inverters on my place were installed in the fall of 2008; so, long before Tesla got involved in power walls and such. I was (and still am!) in the old SREC program, although the days of $600/MW-hr SRECs are sadly long gone. (On the other hand: $72k for a full install is a lot more than you people pay nowadays. And crystalline solar panels are much more fun and efficient than the amorphous ones on the roof.)

Initial calculations for the kW-hr's generated by the panels were taken by reading the lifetime generated kW-hr reading on the PV-Powered (that's a brand name) inverters in the garage every month. Then the NJ PUC got wind that these inverter readings weren't that wildly accurate. I ended up calling the PV Powered people in Oregon and was told these were only accurate to +-5%.

So, if one wanted SRECs, one had to install a Revenue-Grade Meter. Dug through an approved list of such things compiled by the State of New York. As it happens, I'm a EE (albeit, not a Power EE), so data sheets aren't that inscrutable. Ended up getting a Leviton Series 1000, 3-Wire Meter, complete with the little current-sensing toroids, from an on-line retailer in 2012. Very carefully installed it myself and had the city do the inspection. It was a couple hundred for the meter back in 2012. Just checked; it's $333 from Home Depot these days. I guess that's about right, given inflation.

This particular meter has an RS-485 interface and nothing else with respect to communications. Since it's been just me putting the numbers into GATS there was no point in anything more complex, I never did any homebrew Arduino project to provide internet.

About the only fancy thing I had to do was to take a picture of the front face of the meter and upload same to GATS.

Update... Tesla submitted my application again last fall to the ADI program. Turns out they screwed up documentation in early 2023 which took months to resubmit then I was picked for an audit of my system by NJ Clean Energy before I was approved. They came out and failed to find the outside serve with all the equipment and left, failing my audit. After putting up a fuss they recently came back and I walked them to the system. I passed on Wednesday and am waiting for my cert that took 2 1/2 years to get. What a trip. Next is actually getting the 4+ MegaWatts of credit I deserve.