Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Inverter over temperature error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the service option in the app? I think its not enabled for my account
Interesting and you’ve gone through PTO or commissioning with Tesla? That’s what enables it I’m sure. Pre-PTO I didn’t have it. Give them a call to enable.

0637EAD6-7A10-4DF3-9F7A-8B6EACA96774.jpeg

Tesla tier 2 support thinks its a cooling issue with my inverter. Really strange that its two inverters in a row with same issue.

if they want to keep spending money giving me new inverters every month and having to pay the service tech to keep coming here that’s fine but I’m skeptical that’s the issue

Hey, two questions @houser2021 :

1. Did you get your inverter replaced before or after PTO?
2. Is your inverter one of the horizontally-oriented Tesla units, or vertically-oriented?

I've been having problems since my install on 5/17/2021, but am still waiting on PTO (passed inspection 6/2/2021). When I say horizontally-oriented, I mean this:

IMG_3272.JPG

Hey, two questions @houser2021 :

1. Did you get your inverter replaced before or after PTO?
2. Is your inverter one of the horizontally-oriented Tesla units, or vertically-oriented?

I've been having problems since my install on 5/17/2021, but am still waiting on PTO (passed inspection 6/2/2021). When I say horizontally-oriented, I mean this:

View attachment 674503
Why in the world did they mount it like that!?

Finally found a thread that describe the problem I am having also. Multiple calls to support already and still no resolution. The tech came down was suppose to replace a pump, but could not find the part in the warehouse. Also mentioned something about topping off the coolant.

Super frustrating as I have been calling support every week for two months and they keep telling me the part had not arrived.

What has made it a little better is to keep the door to the inverter ajar to let the heat vent out, and also I pointed a small USB CPU cooler to move the air around and that lessen the time the inverter takes to restart up

Watching this thread. We had install just shy of 2 weeks ago. Don't have PTO yet, but we've been running the system most days with the grid switched off. Noticed that our generation graphs are very peaky with big drops (50%+) -- not unlike OP's earlier pics.

Our system is 16.3kW -- 48 panels and 2 Tesla inverters, with 4 PowerWalls (2s, not +). 27 panels face mostly south (slightly S-SE), and 21 panels face mostly west (slightly W-SW). I believe the inverter that has the west-facing panels is having the issues -- generation really drops in the afternoon, even though those panels have good sun exposure... Our roof also has no shading, other than from the roof itself close to sunset.

Since we don't have PTO , I haven't called it in to Tesla yet (hopefully PTO will be this week -- inspection passed the day after install finished, and a week later I received the utility distributed generation application to sign -- that was late last week). But what I have observed is that one of the inverters has a fan sound, and you can feel air coming out the side vent, while the other inverter is silent and no air moving. Makes me think the 2nd inverter is overheating and shutting down. Power will peak just above 15kW, but is typically below 7kW. It does not stay above 7 for more than a minute or two before dropping down.

*** LOW COOLANT LEVELS*** I have (2) brand new Tesla Inverters and one turns on and off frequently throughout the day due to overheating. The fan is continually on high speed. Service tech was here fixing a separate issue on my PowerWall 2 + (s) and created a ticket for me to have service come out and refill inverter coolant. He stated from the factory the coolant levels are not filled accurately and local service has trained and dedicated one employee to go around and fix what looks to be a common problem. I called support and they verified. Currently awaiting appointment date.

*** LOW COOLANT LEVELS*** I have (2) brand new Tesla Inverters and one turns on and off frequently throughout the day due to overheating. The fan is continually on high speed. Service tech was here fixing a separate issue on my PowerWall 2 + (s) and created a ticket for me to have service come out and refill inverter coolant. He stated from the factory the coolant levels are not filled accurately and local service has trained and dedicated one employee to go around and fix what looks to be a common problem. I called support and they verified. Currently awaiting appointment date.

Thanks. Makes me wonder now that the one I'm hearing with the fan on is the one that is overheating due to low coolant... Can't wait for PTO so I can call this in...

Thanks. Makes me wonder now that the one I'm hearing with the fan on is the one that is overheating due to low coolant... Can't wait for PTO so I can call this in...
I'd call it in now. At the rate I'm going (I called it in the day after my install 5/17/2021), I'm wondering if it'll ever get fixed.

Here's the latest news after somebody on the "maintenance scheduling line" spent 30 minutes calling around and trying to find out the answer:
I received word back from the supervisor for service work and he said the only technician who can perform the top off for the coolant system currently does not have a vehicle. The supervisor is working on getting him one delivered so he can put him back on the schedule and then we will be able to get you on the schedule. Thank you for your patience
I live in San Jose, CA. You think there'd be a spare "vehicle" over at the Tesla factory maybe...

But seriously - they can't train more people to top off coolant?