Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla investing in midatlantic -- smart move

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhzmark

Jul 21, 2013
There has been a surge of supercharger development around DC and the midatlantic generally. Right now there is a bigger concentration of SC investment than in Cal. (at least as shown by the supercharge.info cones.

It looks like Tesla is noticing that the concentration of wealth and education in the DC area means a big potential market of buyers that will want to drive and supercharge in a 500 mile radius.

upload_2017-7-30_10-11-11.png

upload_2017-7-30_10-12-58.png

2015 Small Area Income and Poverty Estimates

Census Bureau: 4 Richest Counties in U.S. Are Suburbs of D.C.

In the list of 20 richest counties you could also include the 3 listed New Jersey counties as midatlantic. IMHO. I grew up in Somerset County where this is a tremendous amount of wealth-- both old and new money.

I agree. Tesla's investment in the middle Atlantic region is a wise decision.

I would argue that since Tesla knows what supercharger usage patterns are and where the Model 3 orders came from, that the intersection of those plus the near 100% geographic coverage east of the Mississippi, the focus is turning to infill Superchargers on high usage routes. I agree that the northeast corridor is about to pop with Model 3.

I would argue that all it shows is that Tesla finally got a deal done with Sheetz so they could get good Supercharger locations in an otherwise difficult region. Then they got a couple of rest areas and found a couple of others as well.
It shows they got a deal done with Sheetz and many other locations that are not sheetz-- all in the mid Atlantic region. And they did that concentrated investment there as opposed to in Boston or chicago or dallas and every other large population center.

Wow, I hadn't seen that list of "riches" counties. I used to live in Howard County and now live in Fairfax... so much for affordable housing :).

But yes, it's very encouraging to see the amount of planned super chargers in the area. There are lots of people who road-trip to the DC area and the SC's will make those trips a little easier. That said, it's already pretty easy to charge around here. Open plugshare in almost any spot and there is a charger near by.

Hopefully, this is the way the entire country will be in the near future. Between VW's TDI settlement and the Model 3 forcing the issue, the time of widespread charging infrastructure is upon us.

-Jim