Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Investor Day Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You think the Warren Buffets of the World just sit around hoping for a return. I have (6) 15” screens up watching lovely candle stick graphs in my little dark dungeon while chit chatting on here. Maybe, I should have you teach me how to invest. Please help…me

Um...yes?

One of Buffett's famous quotes is "Our favorite holding period is forever." Have you read any of his books? Do you know anything at all about Berkshire Hathaway's investing strategy?

I'm beginning to think you do not know what you are talking about.... 🤔

Reactions: mgs333 and Ogre
Um...yes?

One of Buffett's famous quotes is "Our favorite holding period is forever." Have you read any of his books? Do you know anything at all about Berkshire Hathaway's investing strategy?

I'm beginning to think you do not know what you are talking about.... 🤔
Ha, yea I’m familiar with this idea of holding long but you’re absolutely mis quoting him. Funny, I’ll be at the next annual meeting May 6. Were you invited? I’ll post a pic just for you. His company doesn’t just sit on stocks, they may pick a couple for long holds and it may mean they plan on acquiring them. Also, we are talking real money longs, not $100-100k. We are talking millions. But, you do you and I’ll keep making my clients real money with lower risk and hard work while you make assumptions.
Nasdaq Sell-Off: 2 Warren Buffett Stocks He Plans to Hold Forever | The Motley Fool

• Love
Reactions: Xepa777
Ha, yea I’m familiar with this idea of holding long but you’re absolutely mis quoting him. Funny, I’ll be at the next annual meeting May 6. Were you invited? I’ll post a pic just for you. His company doesn’t just sit on stocks, they may pick a couple for long holds and it may mean they plan on acquiring them. Also, we are talking real money longs, not $100-100k. We are talking millions. But, you do you and I’ll keep making my clients real money with lower risk and hard work while you make assumptions.
Nasdaq Sell-Off: 2 Warren Buffett Stocks He Plans to Hold Forever | The Motley Fool
His company does just “Sit on Stocks”. That is literally what has made them what they are.

He’s owned Coke for decades, Apple for 5+ years now.

Typical gambler. Shouts about their wins. whispers about their losses.

His company does just “Sit on Stocks”. That is literally what has made them what they are.

He’s owned Coke for decades, Apple for 5+ years now.

Typical gambler. Shouts about their wins. whispers about their losses.
Ummm, ok. I’ve definitely lost in the past and most recently last year. Absolute crap year. Definitely could have been worse but we kept a large portion of investments in cash for a bit, which ended up being a good move early on and sticking with low/mid risk stocks. Anyways, not a gambler. I think you misunderstand how the market works and how brokerage houses invest money. We do stay long on some stocks 7-10yr holds. However, when it’s your job, you must continue shopping for opportunity. Can you imagine if everyone bought stock and just held it forever? The stock would never move up/down. Think big picture, not just your little bit of stock you hold. I see you’re from Oregon, enough said. I’d hate to trigger you by saying you live in a clown state with your clown statements.

Ha, yea I’m familiar with this idea of holding long but you’re absolutely mis quoting him. Funny, I’ll be at the next annual meeting May 6. Were you invited? I’ll post a pic just for you.

I see you’re from Oregon, enough said. I’d hate to trigger you by saying you live in a clown state with your clown statements.

You sure do love painting yourself as better than others, don't you?

Good luck with your day trading, I'll keep holding long with my millions of TSLA. I'm very confident it will be worth much, MUCH more a decade from now.

Stress free investing is the best! :cool:

Reactions: CarlS and Ogre
Tesla estimates that $125 - $150B of remaining CapEx is required to get to 20M veh/yr and 1 TWh of scale. Why isn’t this getting more attention?

View attachment 913626

Zach said “Maybe this total investment looks large. I actually think it’s quite small relative to our ambitions”. That’s an extremely modest way of saying it. The ROIC on these investments will be crazy.

At 20M cars and 1 TWh per year, Tesla could easily earn this much per year, and probably much more. That is without Solar ever providing significant earnings and without autonomous driving, Optimus or any other AI stuff. Conservatively, something like $7k gross profit car and $40/kWh gross profit for batteries would yield approximately $125-150B net income post tax. Tesla could probably do double or maybe even triple these numbers.

That’s means the entire investment will be recouped with the cash flow from a year or less of full-scale production. Actually, in reality it’ll get quickly recouped while the growth is happening because of the ridiculous IRRs on factory construction Tesla will be getting, so on a net basis most of the cumulative CapEx spend will have already paid for itself by the time full-blown 20M & TWh scale is reached. That’s why Zach was saying this will all comfortably be funded with free cash flow along the way.

I’ve written about Tesla’s amazing return on investment on factory CapEx before but the Gen 3 platform might do even better than these numbers. I’m getting IRR estimates of like 100% per year. Not a typo, 100% internal rate of return.

For about 17 years, Tesla was a cash flow negative company because their investments in growth were exceeding their operating cash flow. Then in 2021 it started to flip sharply into the opposite situation, when the arrival of Giga Shanghai and the Model Y vaulted Tesla’s cash generation to a new level at the same time as their CapEx per unit of production capacity was being slashed aggressively by like 50% or more. Now Tesla’s doing it again with Gen 3 and GigaMex.

Let’s do some math. They have 2M veh capacity right now. Even if we’re as pessimistic as possible and assume all of that $150B goes into cars instead of batteries, then that’s $150B / (20-2)M = $8.3k / car per year of capacity. Now, Tesla is going to be earning roughly this much gross profit per car. Something like $30k avg price and $22k avg cost. Depending on how fast we assume the factory is built and ramped, this yields an IRR of around 50-80%. If the actual investment for car factories is maybe $100B of that overall $125-150B estimate, then that’s $5.3k per car per year of capacity and the IRR goes to approximately 100%.

Now guess what, economically it doesn’t make any sense to get 100% ROI and just stop there. What that means is you should keep investing in MORE growth until diminishing returns kick in and the ROI on each additional project drops to closer to the discount rate (10% or whatever you want to use, but nobody is using a 100% discount rate in the real world). It would make no sense with respect to Tesla’s finances nor mission to stop growth at the stated target levels, *if* the margins can be maintained and *if* these CapEx projections are even remotely accurate. What does make sense in the long run is to drop prices even lower, expand volume massively to more than compensate for the thinner margins, and basically take over a huge swath of the market. Tesla with Gen 3 will be able to offer great value for prices so low that customers just can’t resist and competitors are incapable of matching. The numbers presented by Tesla suggest that growth will continue far beyond the 20M and 1 TWh level.

This is an important consideration, I have little doubt that Tesla can generate sufficient cash on a regular basis to fund the required expansion.

That is why 30% margins on Gen3 cars are important, that is part of the process to generate the cash to fund expansion to 20M cars and 1 TWh of energy storage.

They also mentioned that expanding Megapack production only takes a moderate amount of capex, we believe Megapacks have good margins and high demand, if expanding production is a low capex task that can be achieved quickly that is important.

People are also wondering why the Monterrey factory is so big when Gen3 production is some compact, IMO Tesla will duplicate the slowest steps, even if that step is the final vehicle body assembly line. I also expect that with the aggressive target to construction the factory in 9 months that production will initially start in one section of the factory while other sections are being built. Then as actions are completed Tesla may duplicate lines as needed or add local production of components and cells.

The aim would be for Monterrey to generate cash ASAP so that it can contribute to the next round of expansion.

For more established factories like Fremont the aim will be to squeeze a bit more production out of the factory.

Fast expansion of free cash flow accelerates the mission by funding the next wave of expansion.