TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Investor's General Macroeconomic / Market Discussion

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by FluxCap, Apr 7, 2014.

1. sundaymorning

sundaymorning Active Member

Compared to a year ago the economy continues to be hot.

Black Friday shopping pulled in a record $6.22 billion in online sales: Adobe

• Online sales Black Friday jumped 23.6 percent from a year ago, according to a new report from Adobe Analytics.
    • The Friday after Thanksgiving this year was also the first day in history to see more than $2 billion in sales stemming from smartphones.
    • Cyber Monday sales online are expected to set a new record of $7.8 billion, up nearly 18 percent from last year.

2. Cherry Wine

Cherry Wine Member

Does this data factor into the Fed’s decision making with regard to rates? Or likely no impact?

3. dmunjal

dmunjal Member

Probably not. I think oil in the 40s has a bigger impact to their thinking.

Ironically,, low oil may end up helping Tesla this time.

4. Starno

Starno Active Member

On a global/macro view of the market I think we are very close to the top, with maybe a little bit of upside if China-US relations and communication tend to go well over the next few months. But even then, we won't see that much of growth.

Prepare yourself for a period of volatility, stagnation (again global/macro).

5. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

World population at 7.5 Billion. Going to 9-10 Billion. I doubt we see a downturn in markets overall until population starts to look at the resource and energy mess this will bring and stops the population growth rate. The 1.5 Billion kids born since about 2000 will need work soon. Yes, the world population added 1.5 Billion people under the age of 18 in the last 18 years. This means economic growth still is under way. To those who enjoy trying to plan for sustainability - this is NOT sustainable.

Year (July 1) Population Yearly % Change
    2018 7,632,819,325 1.09 %
    2017 7,550,262,101 1.12 %
    2016 7,466,964,280 1.14 %
    2015 7,383,008,820 1.19 %

6. defc0n

defc0n Member

Not very sustainable in poor countries sure. Modernized countries do not generally have a problem with overpopulation, and may have the opposite problem (Japan).

• Like x 1
  7. defc0n

defc0n Member

If I see the s&p 500 drop below 2581 I’m getting out of equities entirely.

8. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Yes, the highest growth now is in countries that can afford it the least - sub-Saharan Africa.

9. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

There is overpopulation and then there is overconsumption. China and India both want a deeper, stronger middle-class full of growing consumption. That's what's not Sustainable. And do you want 1 Billion people in a country living in mega-highrises in dense cities? How long does that last - perhaps long if the country is stable and not in any kind of turmoil. Some of the biggest cities in the next few decades will come up out of growing wealth an population in Africa, actually.

• Like x 1
  10. dmvevguy

dmvevguy Member

Is this including your TSLA stock?

11. defc0n

defc0n Member

That’s yet TBD, but probably. I’m always in and out of TSLA fairly frequently, but I might use that money to short the market for awhile if things look grim.

12. Cherry Wine

Cherry Wine Member

Touched 2583 this morning.

13. defc0n

defc0n Member

It looks like we may live another day :) Some large volume buying in the market when we got that low I believe. Really need some good trade war news now. What else would motivate people to buy? The Fed has chickened out on rate increases as much as they probably will.

14. Cherry Wine

Cherry Wine Member

Think a resolution of the Huawei situation is substantive enough for a small rally?

15. defc0n

defc0n Member

A very small temporary one maybe. Market is pissed Trump has no deal and are tired of tariffs.