Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Investor's General Macroeconomic / Market Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. Why is Puerto Rico not a state? Votes Democratic?

Basically yes; same reason DC is disenfranchised. Republicans have been blocking it since before I was born. We need a clean sweep to remove the Republicans from power in both houses of Congress and the Presidency before we can straighten out this undemocratic garbage. Of course, the Republican Party leadership fundamentally opposes democracy; this is uncontroversial and at this point actually in their party platform.

The credibility of the U.S. government is in question and will eventually reach a point when it impacts the market. Here's an additional response from cultural leaders which will have an impact. Lin-Manuel Miranda Says Trump Is ‘Going Straight to Hell’

I am especially concerned when the next wave of incompetence comes to the fore. What happens when cholera and other diseases of disasters, malaria, or God forbid, ebola breaks out in Puerto Rico? How will the leaderless Department of Health and Human Resources respond? With the quickness, as my black friends say, as in our assistance with the Ebola crisis in Africa, or with diatribes about the responsibiity of Puerto Ricans to take care of it themselves?

What's going to happen is that someone else is going to step up to the plate in Puerto Rico. I'm not sure whether it will be the governors of California and New York, or a consortium of CEOs, or Raul Castro, or what, but someone is going to show up the US government.

The credibility of the US government really shouldn't exist any more, and eventually it won't.

But... caution on thinking that this will affect the stock market. It might not. Corporations have survived revolutions and world wars unscathed (West German corporations which made it through both world wars are a particularly extreme example here). Several Mexican companies have been through quite a lot of revolutions. If investors think that this sort of corporate continuity will happen (if they aren't expecting Soviet-style expropriation), the loss of government credibility may not affect the stock market.

The way it's most likely to affect the markets is through the T-bill market but at the moment it looks like that's under the control of people who intend to not let it blow up regardless; I wouldn't be surprised if they kept being issued and honored by the Fed even if there was a shooting war inside the White House.

Raul Castro & & Liberal media darling Carmen Yulin Cruz would get along perfectly, I wonder if CNN is showing this video of Cruz celebrating the release of a convicted FALN terrorist Oscar Lopez Rivera...

Lopez Rivera was sentenced to 35 years in prison for his involvement in the FALN, a Puerto Rican separatist group that was responsible for more than 100 bombings in the U.S. during the 1970s and 1980s.

Four people lost their lives in 1975 when an explosion happened at Fraunces Tavern in New York City, an attack the FALN was responsible for. The organization was also responsible for seriously injuring three NYPD officers in several bomb attacks on New Year’s Eve in 1982.

Cruz by the way wants PR to remain a territory according to this article.
San Juan Mayor Praised Convicted FALN Terrorist

Out of curiosity, Lump, what had been your assessment of and views toward Menachem Begin? Surely you have some.

And yes, it's a trap:

It's a trap if you answer
It's a trap if you don't answer
It's a trap if you answer one way
It's a trap if you answer another way

So - use the above as a suggestion to consider when you're tempted to throw out straw men like Lopez Rivera.

Raul Castro & & Liberal media darling Carmen Yulin Cruz would get along perfectly, I wonder if CNN is showing this video of Cruz celebrating the release of a convicted FALN terrorist Oscar Lopez Rivera...

Lopez Rivera was sentenced to 35 years in prison for his involvement in the FALN, a Puerto Rican separatist group that was responsible for more than 100 bombings in the U.S. during the 1970s and 1980s.

Four people lost their lives in 1975 when an explosion happened at Fraunces Tavern in New York City, an attack the FALN was responsible for. The organization was also responsible for seriously injuring three NYPD officers in several bomb attacks on New Year’s Eve in 1982.

Cruz by the way wants PR to remain a territory according to this article.
San Juan Mayor Praised Convicted FALN Terrorist

Your references do not address the question on what was the specific nature of Oscar Lopez Rivera's involvement, only guilt by association. Noting how careful you are with your statements, and mindful of my ignorance of even how one goes about researching legal records, I would appreciate validation of the integrity of the implication he received a just trial. Now that we know the police, the FBI, and now the Attorney General have records of bias against minorities, are we really sure bias was not present at Rivera's trial? Just a question from someone ignorant about such matters.

Reactions: neroden
TMCers are often curious about Wall Street's reaction to Tesla news which is opposite from what logic or empirical knowledge would expect. Some are so gracious to give Wall Street analysts the benefit of doubt by suggesting they are merely biased about the industry in favor of ICE. Others may also be right they are just stupid and/or lazy. But some investors are wary of the industry itself and no less the redoubtable Papafox who often notes the markets are rigged. However, there is a structural problem and perhaps an inherent conflict of interest between traders and research outfits within the same firm. The firms themselves are aware of this optically--as Trump would say--by protesting there are firewalls in place separating the functions.

The SEC response to this challenge is uncertain. I am not hopeful. But the Europeans are on to the problem and apparently are taking action which has excited no less than Goldman Sachs to the danger. Gretchen Morgenson again blows the whistle in today's New York Times with an excellent article exposing among other practices the full nature of corruption. One tidbit: some firms actually give "soft money" to analysts in independent houses for the required analysis. "Brokerage firms that produce junk research are perversely rewarded."

New Skirmish in an Old Battle: Wall Street vs. the Customer

News for this naïve investor, but ornament on the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Since President Trump has brought the end of the world upon its a good thing my wife spent some of our market gains at Costco on Thursday & bought several bottles of my favorite Scotch so I can celebrate the record highs tonight....Cheers!

Unfortunately for you and me I can no longer drown my sorrows in booze, only in a flood of words, like a sumptuous pounding of water in a mortar. (To steal a phrase from Trotsky on Kerensky's eloquence at the front during WWI.)

Alternatively, instead of beers I have only tears.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Johann Koeber
But the Europeans are on to the problem and apparently are taking action which has excited no less than Goldman Sachs to the danger. Gretchen Morgenson again blows the whistle in today's New York Times with an excellent article exposing among other practices the full nature of corruption. One tidbit: some firms actually give "soft money" to analysts in independent houses for the required analysis. "Brokerage firms that produce junk research are perversely rewarded."

New Skirmish in an Old Battle: Wall Street vs. the Customer

News for this naïve investor, but ornament on the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

I was lucky to have learned investing from my grandmother who started investing before the SEC existed. I was taught to *expect* this sort of thing from brokerage firms. (I think it's quite obvious they were doing it all the time in the 1920s -- it was almost totally legal at the time.)

• Informative
Reactions: zdriver
Out of curiosity, Lump, what had been your assessment of and views toward Menachem Begin? Surely you have some.

And yes, it's a trap:

It's a trap if you answer
It's a trap if you don't answer
It's a trap if you answer one way
It's a trap if you answer another way

So - use the above as a suggestion to consider when you're tempted to throw out straw men like Lopez Rivera.

Carmen Yulin Cruz stepped in front of the cameras & made several exaggerated claims that have repeated non stop by some US networks, this made me curious about her & led to the video of her celebrating the release of Lopez Rivera, I now have a better understanding of Mrs Cruz & her bias & has nothing to do with FALN & Lopez Rivera,

As far as Menachem Begin goes, I participated in the MBLY IPO & was disappointed when they sold out to INTC.

Tell me which governors can do these? LOL

upload_2017-10-1_23-8-47.png

What's going to happen is that someone else is going to step up to the plate in Puerto Rico. I'm not sure whether it will be the governors of California and New York, or a consortium of CEOs, or Raul Castro, or what, but someone is going to show up the US government.

The credibility of the US government really shouldn't exist any more, and eventually it won't.

But... caution on thinking that this will affect the stock market. It might not. Corporations have survived revolutions and world wars unscathed (West German corporations which made it through both world wars are a particularly extreme example here). Several Mexican companies have been through quite a lot of revolutions. If investors think that this sort of corporate continuity will happen (if they aren't expecting Soviet-style expropriation), the loss of government credibility may not affect the stock market.

The way it's most likely to affect the markets is through the T-bill market but at the moment it looks like that's under the control of people who intend to not let it blow up regardless; I wouldn't be surprised if they kept being issued and honored by the Fed even if there was a shooting war inside the White House.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-1_23-8-5.png
    upload_2017-10-1_23-8-5.png
    610.7 KB · Views: 46

And this

upload_2017-10-1_23-10-42.png

• Disagree
Reactions: replicant
Just so you know, far, FAR more than 16 people have died in Puerto Rico due to Hurricane Maria. The government has not been able to update the numbers because it is so overwhelmed.

Journalists are already identifying more.

Hurricane Maria’s death toll in Puerto Rico is higher than official count, experts say

Be clear about this: hospital morgues in Puerto Rico are full of dead bodies. They can't be removed until their deaths are certified but the people responsible for that are overwhelmed.
The Institute for Forensic Scientists alone has 25 dead hurricane victims waiting for death certificates.

The southern coast hasn't even been contacted. People are burying their dead illegally because of the lack of response.

Pretty much a gigantic failure by the US government. Whatever pathetically minimal deployment Trump has made... hasn't even reached parts of the island at *all* yet. This is not a full-scale response.

• Love
Reactions: MitchJi
Just so you know, far, FAR more than 16 people have died in Puerto Rico due to Hurricane Maria. The government has not been able to update the numbers because it is so overwhelmed.

Journalists are already identifying more.

Hurricane Maria’s death toll in Puerto Rico is higher than official count, experts say

Be clear about this: hospital morgues in Puerto Rico are full of dead bodies. They can't be removed until their deaths are certified but the people responsible for that are overwhelmed.
The Institute for Forensic Scientists alone has 25 dead hurricane victims waiting for death certificates.

The southern coast hasn't even been contacted. People are burying their dead illegally because of the lack of response.

Pretty much a gigantic failure by the US government. Whatever pathetically minimal deployment Trump has made... hasn't even reached parts of the island at *all* yet. This is not a full-scale response.

MORE??? HOW MANY???

give me the name list

Laughable CA can not even control a HEP A outbreak in 2017

California Scrambles To Contain ‘Unprecedented’ Hepatitis A Outbreaks

CA -------------- A Third world country!!!!!!!!!!