Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Investor's General Macroeconomic / Market Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to think Eric Hoffer 'True Believer' was the reference work. Using it as a reference, I don't think Trump has many true believers. Maybe I'm wrong.
I've taught that too but don't remember anything except the meaning of the title and he may have a different meaning than implied by the following. Based upon opinion polls, about 30 % of the entire population supports him, 81% of Republicans, and very few Democrats. There's a Pew Research study which breaks down both parties on strength of belief (support) in various percentages with explanations as to why their research suggested the categories.

Found a link: Political Typology Reveals Deep Fissures on the Right and Left

There's a digest and rundown on the Republican support published by the Washington Post on October 26, but I can't access in a way for a direct link as they are now touchy about subscription.

This quote is from an opinion article circling the globe today,

"Those shocking revelations barely registered in the US, at least partly because attention spans have shrunk along with the general collapse, in Washington D.C., of moral and political norms. Yet Donald Trump's dreadful circus ought not to distract us from US government policies that precede him."

Good luck in Asia next week.

Meanwhile the U.S. dollar has tumbled sharply against major — and not-so-major — international currencies as well.

The net result is that those who diversified their wealth internationally are… well, winning.
Wall Street won’t tell you, but U.S. stocks are underperforming

And as mentioned in my post above, since markets outside the US have significantly outperformed US stock, it is hard to give credit to US politicians for the stock market's performance this year. Of course, this could all change but for the time being the US markets are not keeping up with markets elsewhere since the beginning of the year despite stellar performance by some sectors, especially tech.

All this is simplistic. It also chooses time periods quite adroitly to tell the chosen story. Still most of it is not untrue, just misleading.

For the two global stars they have China and Brazil. Both have quite diverse and volatile markets. Both also have much higher real interest rates than does the US. Quite a large pert of currency fluctuations in the short term (i.e. less that a year) is due mostly to changes in real interest rates and shifts in large FX movements. I will offer no charts or even links, they're widely available. The story changes dramatically with quarterly shifts in FX flows, non-domestic borrowing/lending patterns and investment inflows/outflows. Depending on the chosen time periods those markets show massive gains and/or losses that are more a function of FX movements than they are of actual domestic stock market performance.

Personally I have done very well with some investments in several countries when the FX rates moved in my favor despite the domestic value of my investment has declined.
Less pleasantly, I have also had precisely the opposite happen.
On balance I have done far better predicting relative exchange rates than I have specific asset valuations. Bluntly that makes sense to me because I have far more experience in FX markets and the country-specific conditions in which I have been active than I have in any specific asset class.

When I see single graphing of market performance in one country vs another using the most popular indices for each public market I cannot help but laugh a little. There are so many moving parts that such a presentation is worthless.

In fact, it is analogous to evaluating TSLA as a loser because every significant auto maker outsells them and besides, they produce many fewer cars in Fremont than NUMMI did and than GM did before NUMMI. It's obvious that TSLA is a poor investment.

Just think about it:
China has a deeply controlled economy with a gigantic balance of payments surplus. Most major public companies have heavy State involvement. Is there any public Chinese company that is a safe no-brain choice?

Brazil has deep political problems with high corruption and domestic economic disarray. Several of the major public companies have been caught in the corruption scandals. Some of the largest public companies are directly government controlled. The high real interest rates have been steadily declining for the last year and look to drop further.

Next on the list are several countries, each of which have deep economic and political questions.

OK, so does the US. However, how does a single chart with a one line description offer any useful guidance? Answer: it doesn't, but it can make an evocative series of soundbites that might interest people too lazy to find the facts.

Sorry for the rant. Simplistic conclusions really irritate me.

All this is simplistic. It also chooses time periods quite adroitly to tell the chosen story. Still most of it is not untrue, just misleading.

For the two global stars they have China and Brazil. Both have quite diverse and volatile markets. Both also have much higher real interest rates than does the US. Quite a large pert of currency fluctuations in the short term (i.e. less that a year) is due mostly to changes in real interest rates and shifts in large FX movements. I will offer no charts or even links, they're widely available. The story changes dramatically with quarterly shifts in FX flows, non-domestic borrowing/lending patterns and investment inflows/outflows. Depending on the chosen time periods those markets show massive gains and/or losses that are more a function of FX movements than they are of actual domestic stock market performance.

Personally I have done very well with some investments in several countries when the FX rates moved in my favor despite the domestic value of my investment has declined.
Less pleasantly, I have also had precisely the opposite happen.
On balance I have done far better predicting relative exchange rates than I have specific asset valuations. Bluntly that makes sense to me because I have far more experience in FX markets and the country-specific conditions in which I have been active than I have in any specific asset class.

When I see single graphing of market performance in one country vs another using the most popular indices for each public market I cannot help but laugh a little. There are so many moving parts that such a presentation is worthless.

In fact, it is analogous to evaluating TSLA as a loser because every significant auto maker outsells them and besides, they produce many fewer cars in Fremont than NUMMI did and than GM did before NUMMI. It's obvious that TSLA is a poor investment.

Just think about it:
China has a deeply controlled economy with a gigantic balance of payments surplus. Most major public companies have heavy State involvement. Is there any public Chinese company that is a safe no-brain choice?

Brazil has deep political problems with high corruption and domestic economic disarray. Several of the major public companies have been caught in the corruption scandals. Some of the largest public companies are directly government controlled. The high real interest rates have been steadily declining for the last year and look to drop further.

Next on the list are several countries, each of which have deep economic and political questions.

OK, so does the US. However, how does a single chart with a one line description offer any useful guidance? Answer: it doesn't, but it can make an evocative series of soundbites that might interest people too lazy to find the facts.

Sorry for the rant. Simplistic conclusions really irritate me.

There have been a long series of posts in this thread and arguments in the financial press that interpreted loosely (and putting it as apolitically as possible) the US stock market is skyrocketing due to the current US political environment. I don't think a case can be made for that argument (which is even more simplistic than the one made in the linked article), when considering either historical data or comparisons with stock markets outside the US. In that context, I thought the linked article provided some useful context; certainly better IMO than ignoring the performance of markets elsewhere as most do when making the claims about US markets. Would a deeper analysis be better? Yes, but my quick Google search did not locate one.:)

Of course, one could make the argument that the US has an outsize effect on markets in the rest of the world and therefore the current US political environment should get credit for worldwide increases in share values, but that argument would be even more unsupportable.

I'm curious, do you think the current US political environment should be credited with increases in US (or worldwide) share prices, or is that also a simplistic conclusion that would annoy you?

I'm curious, do you think the current US political environment should be credited with increases in US (or worldwide) share prices, or is that also a simplistic conclusion that would annoy you?
You're correct of course. Just because I detest simplistic explanations doesn't mean I know how to do better in short-form reporting/opinion pieces.:(

Since you ask, I'll answer. I do not think the current US political situation is helping support the markets. To the contrary, I think the US markets would be higher were there not to be the current disarray in the US political situation.

However:
Just look at the rest of the world;
China is coping with massively indebted regional/city governments, horrible pollution problems, self-destructing government-owned businesses all over. They do look wonderful with huge BP surpluses, at least in part by comparison with the US, they're politically stable;

Then there is the Eurozone mess with Brexit, Catalonia, Austria, Poland etc having real political and economic issues, not to mention the refugee mess.

And on and on.

The US is doing well by default although the current pending policies seem bent on destroying US industrial policy etc, those don't quite match the horrible situations in many other places.
We live in perilous times, the US economy wins by default, for now.

(this is only my opinion, since you asked. Sadly I could go on for hours. Happily I will not do that)

There have been a long series of posts in this thread and arguments in the financial press that interpreted loosely (and putting it as apolitically as possible) the US stock market is skyrocketing due to the current US political environment. I don't think a case can be made for that argument (which is even more simplistic than the one made in the linked article), when considering either historical data or comparisons with stock markets outside the US. In that context, I thought the linked article provided some useful context; certainly better IMO than ignoring the performance of markets elsewhere as most do when making the claims about US markets. Would a deeper analysis be better? Yes, but my quick Google search did not locate one.:)

Of course, one could make the argument that the US has an outsize effect on markets in the rest of the world and therefore the current US political environment should get credit for worldwide increases in share values, but that argument would be even more unsupportable.

Roger Altman was recently interviewed by Charley Rose. I can't attest to his wisdom but if memory serves he credits a more positive foreign economic picture with helping to sustain our economy. Almost the reverse of some analyses.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and EinSV
Roger Altman was recently interviewed by Charley Rose. I can't attest to his wisdom but if memory serves he credits a more positive foreign economic picture with helping to sustain our economy. Almost the reverse of some analyses.
Without the buoyant Chinese markets have benefited some US exports, including Tesla. Certainly Apple and others benefit greatly from China sales and GM would not even be profitable without China nor would Buick exist as a brand. Boeing has a massive benefit to US economy from Chinese and other sales. For many categories of US production exports and foreign domestic sales have been key drivers for profitability. That is why US industrial companies are united firmly in favor of multilateral trade agreements, they benefit the US economy.

When considering US agricultural exports even such improbable places as Brazil import large quantities of agricultural production, not to mention almost all of the Middle East and most of Asia.

A fixation on US imports completely misses the point.

US auto exports themselves are led by BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Tesla which depend on healthy economies across the world. BMW exports ~70% of US production which is all of BMW SUV's.

I don't know exactly what Roger Altman said. I do know almost all reputable economists understand just how much US is benefitting from exports. US being, for now, the second largest petroleum producer does no harm to that short-term view either.

D.C. drama could have detrimental impact on the market, some strategists say

Facebook says Russia-backed election content reached 126 million Americans

No idea when, but at some point this is going to catch up with market. I don’t think it will have a lasting effect, but it may induce a correction,
Be prepared to ride thru or have some dry powder to advantage imo

From your link:

"Facebook General Counsel Colin Stretch said in the written testimony that the 80,000 posts from Russia's Internet Research Agency were a tiny fraction of content on Facebook, equal to 1 out of 23,000 posts."

I don't think this is going to move the market.

Reactions: replicant
From your link:

"Facebook General Counsel Colin Stretch said in the written testimony that the 80,000 posts from Russia's Internet Research Agency were a tiny fraction of content on Facebook, equal to 1 out of 23,000 posts."

I have no opinion regarding the effect of this news on the market, but the fact that the Russian-placed posts amount to only a tiny fraction of all content on Facebook is not necessarily a relevant measure of the inflicted damage. Whenever I light the fire in my charcoal barbecue, I use exactly one match.

Last edited:
I have no opinion regarding the effect on the market, but the fact that the Russian-placed content amounts to only a tiny fraction of all content on Facebook is not necessarily a relevant metric. Everytime I light the fire in my charcoal barbecue, I use exactly one match.

And the one match that Russia lit beats the thousands more that the Hillary campaign lit? Hillary spent $1.5B vs. the $150K mentioned.

Just doesn't make sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: MitchJi
And the one match that Russia lit beats the thousands more that the Hillary campaign lit? Hillary spent $1.5B vs. the $150K mentioned.

Just doesn't make sense.

Hillary's spending didn't occur in a vacuum. There was already quasi-equilibrium between the two sides in the battle for the public opinion, thanks to the comparable spending from legitimate U.S.-based entities supporting Trump's ticket. The Russians didn't cancel the Dems' message all by themselves, but it's not inconceivable that they managed to tilt the balance just enough to convince a few more of Hillary supporters to stay home, while mobilizing a few more of her opponents to show up for the vote. The election was decided by a few thousand votes in 3 key states.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MitchJi
Hillary's spending didn't occur in a vacuum. There was already quasi-equilibrium between the two sides in the battle for the public opinion, thanks to the comparable spending from entities supporting Trump's ticket. The Russians didn't cancel the Dems' message all by themselves, but it's not inconceivable that they managed to tilt the balance just enough to convince a few more of Hillary supporters to stay at home, while mobilizing a few more of her opponents to shop up for the vote. The election was decided by a few thousand votes in 3 key states.

Trump spent a lot less than Clinton, even including this Russian spending. You're basically saying Clinton wasted a billion dollars even with all her research and experience in campaigning.

Why can't it be that Clinton lost those 3 key states because of her message? She lost those same states to Bernie in the primary. Trump also got less votes in those 3 key states than Romney did in 2012. Could it be that people in those three states just didn't want to vote for Hillary?

Reactions: STARR X
Trump spent a lot less than Clinton, even including this Russian spending. You're basically saying Clinton wasted a billion dollars even with all her research and experience in campaigning.

Why can't it be that Clinton lost those 3 key states because of her message? She lost those same states to Bernie in the primary. Trump also got less votes in those 3 key states than Romney did in 2012. Could it be that people in those three states just didn't want to vote for Hillary?

Yes, it certainly could.

And it could also be that more would have voted for her if, for instance, the revelations about the DNC machinations against Bernie hadn't come out when they did. Serves her right, I say. But Americans didn't deserve to lose, which is what they did when Trump became president.

Last edited:
From your link:

Similar to Tesla’s near imperceptible sales to the auto market perhaps. Invest under your own beliefs.
The difference may manifest in the source, intent and targeted effect rather than the fraction
I appreciate your opinion and you may well be right

Last edited:
For those not following (and I don’t blame you )
Just a quick note, there are multiple strong reports that Trump will nominate Powell for Fed chair.

The markets will probably like this as opposed to other contenders. On paper he would be most similar to continuance of Yellen policies, and not overly hawkish, but still more so than Bernanke.

His background is generally legal not financial, although worked in financial markets many years. If Trump wasn’t going to continue with Yellen, this is probably the overall safest choice, if these reports bare out. I would expect little signifance change in market macros if true...

Facebook and 2016 Russian Campaign

I have no way to determine effect on market nor direct information on campaign to assess influence on the 2016 election either.

But I remain a blabber-mouth so what I’m interested in is understanding the role Mercer’s Cambridge Analytica had if any in directing the Russian media campaign, in particular the choice of targets and process for selecting content of the ads. Reportedly they were very sophisticated in choosing both targets and messaging. Their impact is like a narrow spectrum antibiotic not a broad-spectrum one as intimated above. (Thanks to my dear wife who is struggling to get a B in microbiology.)

A broad spectrum analysis by this extinguished professor of government: both parties fsugared up and Russia is becoming a more threatening adversary than the Communists ever imagined. In my circles there is much discussion of soft or hard power. Normally we think of soft power as diplomacy as opposed to weaponry, deployment capability, etc. Instead of the tools of soft power as diplomacy, economic and cultural influence and the like, we also must now consider what might be called "dark" soft power. AI and deep learning in the age of cyberwar are now harnessed to what the old Soviet Union considered disinformazia.

We are being set up to destroy ourselves. How many times a day do we hear the source of terrorism against governments is a public dissatisfied with the performance of government? How much do the pundits warn us about that at home too? I can hear it now, Bruce Springsteen singing, "Pitchforks are a comin, there's gonna be dancing tonight." No, that's Harry Belafonte, mumble, mumble, drool.