TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla iOS App not working

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by chdavis, Jul 14, 2020.

1. chdavis

chdavis Member

Anyone else having a really hard time with the Tesla iOS app not connecting to your car? I can usually get it to work by signing out and then signing back in. I've noticed that TeslaFi is still working and it doesn't seem to happen at all whilst connected to the charger at home.

The bluetooth key is still connected but it keeps giving me the "Network Error" message after a minute or two of trying to connect.

Reset the car, hard reset my iPhone, and deleted and reinstalled the app. iPhone 12 Max Pro (or whatever it's called now).

Thanks

2. Smitty1c

Smitty1c New Member

I’m having the same issue. It was working fine today away from home (and this morning while at home on WiFi), but once the car is connected to WiFi it seems to have issues.

I reset the app, logged out/in, reset my phone (Apple), reset the car, it Finally seemed to work when both phone and car were off WiFi. Later it returned to the same issue.

3. chdavis

chdavis Member

Glad that I’m not alone, although it’s sucks that we both have the same issue. I was starting to think my car was being hacked (kidding).

4. Smitty1c

Smitty1c New Member

Seems to be working now...Hopefully it holds.

5. BuggDDS

BuggDDS Member

Mine isn’t working at all since midnight last night

6. f308gt4

f308gt4 Member

Not sure if it’s related or not, but there is an IOS update today. Sometimes these phones do weird things when a new update is ready but hasn’t been installed yet.

7. ffhuang

ffhuang Member

You have to redownload the tesla app and add it back onto your car. I updated to iOS 14 beta 2 and my tesla app wasn't working even after signing out. I redownloaded the app, relinked with the car, and its fine again.

8. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

The 12 hasn't been announced or released yet. Probably the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

9. chdavis

chdavis Member

Still having this issue. It’s definitely the phone. When I connect to Wi-Fi it works. So weird.

10. EVRD

EVRD Member

Anyone found a solution? I'm having the same issue as well. Tesla app will only connect to the car when my phone is on wifi. If my phone is on 5G/LTE (full bars), I consistently get a "network time out" message or an unending spinning wheel. When I turn back on wifi on my phone, Tesla app connects instantly to the car. This has been happening over several days now.

I tried all combinations of logging out, logging back in, deleting/re-download and installing the app, restarting my phone, hard/soft reboot of my Model 3, deleting/adding my phone back as a key to my Model 3. Fairly frustrating as that's pretty much the point of having the app... If anyone has suggestions, I'm game to try it.

Another issue (minor, but unclear if related) is that when I rename a keycard in the Model 3 to whatever, a minute or two later the system automatically renames the keycard back to "key card".

11. chdavis

chdavis Member

I signed in on the app from friend's Verizon iPhone and throughout the entire night, it worked perfectly. This is an ATT issue and it is driving me nuts!!!

• Like x 1
  12. mchas

mchas Member

I am having the same issue. A few other interesting data points, if it helps:
    - when I use the Stats app, it connects fine
    - I uninstalled the Tesla app yesterday and reinstalled it and then it worked for a while, but not working again today (even after waking the car up first via Stats app)
    - I have AT&T but since the Stats app works, I don’t think it’s a carrier problem

13. chdavis

chdavis Member

Yeah my Tesla Remote app works too

The Tesla app widget also refreshes no problem when I swipe left in the Notification Center

I know there are bigger problems to have, but this is really annoying.

14. jlindy

jlindy Member

Same problem for me. I also have AT&T but can’t imagine that’s the problem. I can’t connect to the app when I’m away from the house for the most part. If I delete the app and reinstall it will work temporarily but i have to set up the key again which is a pain. Next day it doesn’t work.

very very annoying. Need to figure out the issue.

15. chdavis

chdavis Member

I really think it is an ATT problem. I mentioned it before, maybe in a different thread, but I was out a few nights ago and had my friend sign into the Tesla app with my credentials. All night, it worked perfectly when we pulled out up. This was on a Verizon iPhone.

crazy frustrating.

16. jlindy

jlindy Member

but how would i approach AT&T about this?me to customer service - My phone won’t connect to my car. CS- Do you have service? Me - Yes. CS - Do you have internet? Me -Yes. CS - Then it must be an issue with your car and not our problem. Thank you goodbye.

17. chdavis

chdavis Member

I spent about an hour with ATT on the phone a few days ago. They tried to be helpful and ran a lot of diagnostics, re-provisioned my phone, reset the network settings, etc.

It didn’t work but they were not as helpless as I expected

18. mchas

mchas Member

I have uninstalled and then reinstalled the Tesla app on my phone and then it worked for a short while before it stopped working again. Perhaps when you had your friend let you use his phone it had the same effect as reinstalling the app?

The fact that the Stats app works and Tesla app doesn’t leads me to believe this is a Tesla app problem and not AT&T.. but just guessing. Very annoying for sure.

19. chdavis

chdavis Member

It’s the only variable. The Verizon phone worked for 10 + hours and everyone so far has reported ATT

In the end, I just need to fix it and it’s the only thing I can narrow down thus far

20. Cellsaver

Cellsaver Member

I have an X but have been seeing the exact same issue. I have ATT and am having major connect issues, my wife has Verizon and can connect every time.

TC

• Informative x 1