Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla iOS App v3.3.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New features on the latest app update:
1. Tesla’s Siri integration now works with Model 3
2. SHORTCUT to open the Frunk!!!

F2AFDF78-233C-4E31-8255-E6F1CE4CE45E.png
10363CF9-6980-4B11-BC7D-4F6995251288.png

8E14529C-8D23-4C14-8FB0-244B9D383B65.jpeg

Curiously, if one does tap the new "Open Frunk" button whilst in Valet Mode, the image of the car changes to show an opened frunk, when in fact exactly nothing happened with the frunk *because* the car is in Valet Mode.

An edge case for Tesla to code for, evidently. Specifically, you don't want to override Valet Mode since that defeats the purpose thereof, and don't want to show an open frunk when it is in fact not open.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I have my car getting detailed in valet mode, and he needed the frunk open so I did it from the app and he said it worked. You sure it doesn’t work while in valet mode?

Yep. Tried it last night. Got the "Are you sure" pop-up, tapped OK, and the car image changed while the frunk was still closed.

My doors were locked at the time. Were yours when the detailer tried it? Shouldn't matter, given the nature of valet mode, but it would narrow down the case.

Yep. Tried it last night. Got the "Are you sure" pop-up, tapped OK, and the car image changed while the frunk was still closed.

My doors were locked at the time. Were yours when the detailer tried it? Shouldn't matter, given the nature of valet mode, but it would narrow down the case.

My doors were unlocked, it seems he’s keeping it unlocked since anytime I check on it, it shows it’s unlocked.

My doors were unlocked, it seems he’s keeping it unlocked since anytime I check on it, it shows it’s unlocked.

So I just went out to the car, which was in valet mode, and here’s what happened when I used the app to open frunk and trunk:

In valet mode, with doors locked: Frunk did not open, but car image changed to show open frunk as I stated above. The trunk however DID open when I tapped that button. Ok, that makes a certain amount of sense. I suppose.

In valet mode with doors unlocked: Same as above.

When I turned valet mode off, the frunk opened without any additional action in my part. In other words, I did not press that button again to make that happen.

Interesting. There’s a small chance we might even see all of that in the documentation if/when they update the manual. Maybe.

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
I'm still waiting to configure so I can't use the app yet, which leads to a question. In pictures, are the three shortcut buttons configurable? Could I put a trunk open button there instead of the frunk, for example?

Last edited:
I thought the trunk could be opened from the outside of the car while the frunk can't? If so, this could be a way to compensate by making it easier to get to the frunk control in the app.
This is exactly why. You can always open the trunk from the release latch. But the only way to open the frunk (previously) was from the main screen or buried in the app controls.

We use the frunk all the time to put leftovers (prevent smell from going into cabin) and groceries for both our S and 3.