TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla iPhone app and climate control

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by cmu5p, Mar 28, 2015.

1. cmu5p

cmu5p Member

? Is there a proximity beyond which the app won't activate climate control? My DS says no, but Ive found it won't turn on unless I'm a few feet from the car. Perhaps some battery conserving safety from accidentally being turned on and running all day? Trying to figure out if it a "me" problem.

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I don't have this problem. I can connect from anywhere. Is you car hooked to a wifi network when you are trying? The phone may be communicating over that, rather than 3G. Just a guess.

3. cmu5p

cmu5p Member

Hmmm. Will look into the wifi vs 3G thing......
    You mean you can be at a different location entirely (i.e., at work while car at home) and turn on climate control?

4. spentan

spentan Active Member

Yes, Your connection to the car using the iPhone app, has nothing to do with the iPhone or car's locations.

(As long as they both have internet connections)

5. cmu5p

cmu5p Member

Thanks, all!

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yes. No problem at all. Sometimes I need to close and relaunch the app and then it will work. This seems to happen if I have had the app open and idle and I reopen it from the list of active apps.

7. hans

hans P631

I've even turned on the climate control using in flight wifi so my car would be nice and cool when I landed.

8. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

I believe the climate control runs only 30 mins at a time. You would have to repeatedly turn on the control every half an hour for it to run a whole day.

9. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Proximity to the car has no bearing on the app controlling the car. It's done through the car's cellular data connection, there is no direct communication between the car and your phone.

10. wayner

wayner Active Member

Isn't it done through the car's network connection would could be 3G or could be Wifi. I use this to preheat my car when it is in my garage and connected to the mothership via wifi.