TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla IPO

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by BBHighway, Feb 6, 2008.

1. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

2. DDB

DDB Member

Well that was a lot of information in a brief article. Possible alliance(s) with other auto makers, IPOs, and changing the name of Whitestar. Where to begin...

We already know Musk and the VCs plan on making their bundle with the IPO. But what about the joint venture possibilities? I'd like a Ford or Chrysler to license the EV aspect or flat out buy a 49% stake.

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Seems that's the general reponse from the blogs, that Musk & the VCs will sell out the company. Don't know if that's what's best for the company, but I still like it better if they stay independent at least from the large auto companies, as I think if they succeed, Tesla may one day best even those large companies.

Here it doesn't say that they will be developing the Bluestar along with the Whitestar, as we have heard before. That maybe too quick of a pace esp. when the Roadsters haven't really been delivered yet. We still haven't heard much about the progress on the Whitestar, but the $50,000 to $60,000 price is reaffirmed, though it doesn't mean much as they might have to raise the price later on (like they did with the roadster).

"Musk also said the company may partner with another company to develop a lower-cost electric car."
    Not sure what this quote is referring to, but it makes sense that they may partner another company to develop either the Whitestar or Bluestar (though not so much with the Whitestar since they said that they wanted to build their own factory for it).

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#4 doug, May 17, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  5. doug

#5 doug, May 17, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
    I think a customer had asked about this in the last town hall meeting.

ABG link:
    Elon Musk talks about Tesla financing plans - AutoblogGreen

6. david_42

david_42 Member

It will be interesting to see the reception on Wall Street. Most of the hot money won't be willing to buy into something that could take 2-3 years to gain traction. On the other hand, $100M isn't out of range of enthusiasts.

7. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#7 malcolm, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
    I agree but if Tesla needs the money to make a REEV whilst larger automakers are also making REEVs, is there going to be enough in Tesla's plans for Whitestar to engage the enthusiasts?

I'm sure Elon is charismatic and persuasive - but I guess so is Henrick Fisker. Then there's Maximum Bob - who doesn't need to be charismatic or persuasive - he can just subsidise the Volt to drive similar products out of the market.

"What makes Whitestar different?" is the crucial question. And of course, that means different for non-EV nerds to understand.

Edited to add: More performance hybrids: Is the Nissan 200SX coming back as a hybrid before turning electric? - AutoblogGreen

Nissan's EV/REEV options: Nissan hedges all-electric bet with range extender option - AutoblogGreen

The marketplace is going to get more crowded/confusing.

8. DDB

DDB Member

I keep going back to the same premise...stick to what they know; EVs. I do not think TM can afford to wait for the development of an E-REV. How difficult can the Whitestar be after the Roadster? The battery pack is done; the drivetrain 1.5 is done... Slap that puppy together and get moving already with a BEV!

9. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

10. doug

Video from the TiE conference here.

11. jrod

jrod New Member

I've read at the end of 2009 Tesla IPO will be out. What's some of your opinions?

12. graham

graham Active Member

Tesla originally planned to IPO in the Autumn of 2008, but the economy was too poor. I don't see the economy being much better this year.

The main reason they wanted to IPO was to fund Model S. With investment from Daimler as well as possible loans from the govt, they may decide they do not need to IPO until after the markets more fully recover.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

14. jrod

jrod New Member

15. doug

Steve Westly Predicts the Next Cleantech IPOs: Tesla, Silver Spring, Solyndra

16. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Why do an IPO now? They got 2 loans from the Feds (for the batteries, and for the Model S), and the investment from Daimler, which sort of had the same affect as if they had sold a small number of shares public, except it all went to one investor (Daimler) who can offer Tesla some industry expertise. The primary reason to go public is to get more capital so you can grow faster. Capital shouldn't be much of an issue for a couple of years, at least, and there's lots of lost autonomy, even with an IPO of a minority number of shares. The best reason I could think of would be to allow some people to cash out (including Elon) who've had their money tied up for a long time in Tesla. That's not a good reason from a business perspective to go public, although Tesla would be far from the first company to do an IPO for that reason.

Oh, and there's a whole industry (investment bankers, lawyers etc.) who do these for a living and have had nothing to do for over a year, and are probably searching out their best prospects. Again, not a great reason for Tesla to do an IPO, even if it's good for business at Wilson Sonsini.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

That's what I was thinking too. SV VCs generally would like to see a nice return in 5 years, not 10+

Someone needs cash to fund a supersonic electric airplane project.