Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is a "Novelty Vehicle"...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably. My goal buying a Tesla is not being 'anti oil', rather just having a great car with cool technology, that just happens to not use gas. I'm probably different than most as I'm not changing my life to be anti-oil company. I'll leave that to Prius owners.

It's not much of a life change owning a Tesla-- just plugging in every night instead of stopping at the gas station once a week to fill up.

My DD is a 1998 F-250 flatbed that I used to think I hated.

Then I test drove the Model S...and really learned what it is to hate.

Okay, all joking aside, here is a serious thought to consider:

In one sense, all owners should hope the Model S is a "novelty" vehicle...because, once it and its brethren and sistren become mainstream, at least one perk will have to go away, and that is the HOV lane privilege. Now, this will take time, but if 30 or 50 or 80 percent of all vehicles on the road are EVs - then the so-called HOV lanes would have to revert to their original purpose, which was to encourage car-pooling and public transit.

In conclusion, then, what is "novelty" is in the eye of the disparager, but there can indeed be a benefit to being one. Carry on.

Not going to start that debate...
With all due respect, but the “debate” was settled a long time ago (!)

See for example:

A Republican Case for Climate Action

By WILLIAM D. RUCKELSHAUS, LEE M. THOMAS, WILLIAM K. REILLY and CHRISTINE TODD WHITMAN

Published: August 1, 2013

EACH of us took turns over the past 43 years running the Environmental Protection Agency. We served Republican presidents, but we have a message that transcends political affiliation: the United States must move now on substantive steps to curb climate change, at home and internationally.

There is no longer any credible scientific debate about the basic facts: our world continues to warm, with the last decade the hottest in modern records, and the deep ocean warming faster than the earth’s atmosphere. Sea level is rising [Nine to Ten inches in New York the last 100 years (My edit)]. Arctic Sea ice is melting years faster than projected. […

[My bold, italic and underline.]

Source:

A Republican Case for Climate Action - NYTimes.com

texex - Welcome to the Tesla family. Seriously, you're one of us now. If you really wanted to simply be incrementally better than your Porsches, you got loads of options: sexier - Ferrari; faster - Lamborghini; prettier - Aston Martin; more plush - Bentley, etc. If you want a driving experience that's not marginally different, and superior to your Porsches, you have one choice - Tesla Model S (OK maybe 4 choices - P85+, P85, S85, S60). Silent. Effortlessness. Instataneous. You are now a brother in the fraternity Alpha Tesla Omega.

Remember when you were 16, just got your license, and your whole day revolved around your mom forgetting something at the grocery store so you could go get it? You just wanted any excuse to DRIVE...

Buckle up.

Last edited:
Having done some sales work in my time...

"That company could go out of business tomorrow, then who's going to service your fancy EV?"
Wrong way to phrase that point. The "your fancy" part. Less objectionable...
"The company could go out of business tomorrow, which is a big servicing risk. I wouldn't take that risk with my car dollars."
Expresses the same point and personalizes it in the proper direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the ride of the 21" that 'harsh' in Tesla????
Not harsh at all in my daily driver with 21s. Of course my bar for "harsh" is cars like the 70s 914.

- - - Updated - - -

My goal buying a Tesla is not being 'anti oil', rather just having a great car with cool technology, that just happens to not use gas. I'm probably different than most as I'm not changing my life to be anti-oil company.

Now the anti competitive Texas Auto dealer monopoly--that is a real reason to buy one. Those guys run the rules in Texas regarding cars--and THAT does need to change. Capitalistic economy please--not what they believe in.
I think I like this guy. Welcome to the forum. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well played.

- - - Updated - - -

one perk will have to go away, and that is the HOV lane privilege.
No such perk in my neck of the woods.

- - - Updated - - -

With all due respect, but the “debate” was settled a long time ago (!)
See for example:
Wrong thread, Swedish. But you already knew that.

Read these two thread titles. Which one do you think that discussion belongs in?
Tesla is a "Novelty Vehicle"
Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion
Or like this:

texex91 is in the market for a new car.

In order to make an informed choice in the current mostly free marketplace* one needs to know all the relevant facts.

When asked about Global Warming texex91 replied:

Note the word “debate”.

That could indicate that he’s not aware that since at least the nineties, the scientific debate is over. I was just making sure that he (and everyone else reading this thread) really has this fact strait.

So where’s the problem?

Last edited:
Note the word “debate”.
So where’s the problem?
The problem is that he clearly expressed he didn't want to start a branch discussion. Further, even if he did that would be a significant detour that just creates work for the mods to clean up.

Just because I say "blue" in a discussion doesn't mean that everybody with a blue Tesla should chime in with a branch discussion of how blue is the best color ever.

the scientific debate is over

Give me a break. We have no clue what is going on in the core of the Sun. And what is triggered Sun to cause ice ages on Earth in the past.

So we could be on the verge of the biggest ice age in human history or biggest warm up event. And they would happen regardless of what humankind is doing or not doing. Or Sun could remain semi-"static" for next few dozens or hundreds of years.

So is climate change hysterical coverage in the press actually explain to the public that scientific community have no clue about what will actually happen in the future? Obviously Sun is just one of many uncertainties that could cause a dramatic decrease in global average temperature on the Earth, I hope you understand that, correct?

That could indicate that he’s not aware that since at least the nineties, the scientific debate is over. I was just making sure that he (and everyone else reading this thread) really has this fact strait.
If that's truly your intent, then just pointing out the relevant thread is enough to "help" and to avoid detouring this thread. Your original post came across, to me at least, as an excuse to redirect the topic of discussion to something else you felt like talking about -- one which has already been covered to a nauseating degree in another thread -- which is both generally bad form and against the wishes expressed in the OP's response that you quoted.

- - - Updated - - -

a significant detour that just creates work for the mods to clean up.
Point proven in the very next post.
... climate change hysterical coverage ...

@brianman

OK, but just hear me out will you.

A huge part of what Tesla is about is getting human kind to a near future of more sustainable means of personal transportation as fast as possible. You and all the mods on TMC know(s) that. It’s also one of Tesla’s strong selling points. I really don’t understand why everyone is so afraid for pointing that out?

But sure, I admit: I am guilty of pointing out some scientific facts. Those are however IMHO some extremely important scientific facts. And about as far from something trivial like the color blue one could possibly get.

Just because I say "blue" in a discussion doesn't mean that everybody with a blue Tesla should chime in with a branch discussion of how blue is the best color ever.
But if the official position of the mods of TMC is that I by doing so have inconvenienced them, then I of course offer them, and therefore also you a sincere apology.

And just one last thing. After:

…it didn’t seem that likely that texex91 would consider reading 46 pages in the Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion–thread…

- - - Updated - - -

…so instead I optioned for providing him with a tailored executive summary of sorts.

Last edited:
Lets get this thread back on track... I too believe climate discussions belong elsewhere. However you feel about that topic, just keep in mind that its not the only reason to look at buying a Tesla.

I had a Porsche as my last car before getting the Tesla. I loved that car -- it had been my dream car. Build quality was fantastic and I only had 2 very small warranty items performed on it in the 3 years I owned it -- each would have been around $100 to repair out of warranty. But it was time to replace it for various reasons...

So far, I'm very impressed with the Tesla. Build quality is overall pretty good -- but there are some minor issues on my car that still need to be fixed (chrome trim sticking out slightly at the back on the passenger side, a chip on the edge of the interior mirror -- service is aware of both). Design quality looks great but sometimes feels cheap -- you can tell many parts focus more on weight saving -- just tap on the dash and you dont get a solid sound that you would in a Porsche. Its already had one major warranty repair (main charger replaced on day 9) -- but Tesla Service was superb in getting me in within an hour of me finding it didn't charge overnight and had it fixed later that day. Mine was also part of the rear seat bracket recall (which Telsa handled better than any other recall on previous cars -- mine was fixed less than 2 weeks after Tesla ID'd the issue and less than a week after they publicly reported it, and I received notification by email, a call from the local service center plus the required notice by mail). Tesla is a startup -- but I've been impressed with how they handle issues and none of the problems here concern me in the long run.

My only real complaint so far is that I had a hard time finding a comfortable position in the drivers seat -- on the Porsche and previous BMWs, i was instantly comfortable in the seat, but I fiddled with it constantly in the Tesla until i fianlly found a good position last week -- and I've had the car for 2.5 months now.

Lets get this thread back on track... I too believe climate discussions belong elsewhere. However you feel about that topic, just keep in mind that its not the only reason to look at buying a Tesla.

I had a Porsche as my last car before getting the Tesla. I loved that car -- it had been my dream car. Build quality was fantastic and I only had 2 very small warranty items performed on it in the 3 years I owned it -- each would have been around $100 to repair out of warranty. But it was time to replace it for various reasons...

So far, I'm very impressed with the Tesla. Build quality is overall pretty good -- but there are some minor issues on my car that still need to be fixed (chrome trim sticking out slightly at the back on the passenger side, a chip on the edge of the interior mirror -- service is aware of both). Design quality looks great but sometimes feels cheap -- you can tell many parts focus more on weight saving -- just tap on the dash and you dont get a solid sound that you would in a Porsche. Its already had one major warranty repair (main charger replaced on day 9) -- but Tesla Service was superb in getting me in within an hour of me finding it didn't charge overnight and had it fixed later that day. Mine was also part of the rear seat bracket recall (which Telsa handled better than any other recall on previous cars -- mine was fixed less than 2 weeks after Tesla ID'd the issue and less than a week after they publicly reported it, and I received notification by email, a call from the local service center plus the required notice by mail). Tesla is a startup -- but I've been impressed with how they handle issues and none of the problems here concern me in the long run.

My only real complaint so far is that I had a hard time finding a comfortable position in the drivers seat -- on the Porsche and previous BMWs, i was instantly comfortable in the seat, but I fiddled with it constantly in the Tesla until i fianlly found a good position last week -- and I've had the car for 2.5 months now.

Thank you for getting back on track.

First, I appreciate the honest answers about quality. That is what most people say (including my Porsche dealer) is the problem with Tesla. I sat in one yesterday in Austin, and I was almost shocked at the lack of interior quality for $100K (many items you pointed out). The seat is a HUGE concern for me, as a 12 way seat is not supportive at all (vs my 18 way on 911). So that along with other issues may keep me from buying for a while. $100K car should feel like one inside and out IMHO.

However, I am done with Porsche (and that silly remark my dealer made sealed that)--just looking for something new. I'm trying to love Tesla, but it keeps bothering me on these issues.

Thanks again for replies.

And for the record there is no such thing as Global Warming--LOL--JUST KIDDING!!! Easy Sweden :rolleyes:

Since our Signature P85 arrived last November our 911 carerra 4S coupe has sat in the garage virtually unused. So much so that when it came time to move the 911 out to the Hamptons for the summer we discovered the battery had completely died!

Also, there were a lot of dead spiders inside the car.

When we finally got it working I was offended by how much noise it made! Never used to notice until you get used to the quiet.

If you have room in your life for a sedan ditch the 911. You'll miss the handling for about 30 minutes and then you'll get over it. And maybe the new P+ package which I haven't yet had the chance to experience will mitigate even that loss.