Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla is a SCAM!!" - BMW Dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Fiance currently drives a 2014 BMW 328i on a 3 year lease. The Van Nuys BMW dealership, where we had it serviced once, has been calling her and mailing her stuff lately to try to get her into a new 2018 330i. She answered today and a woman started offering her all of these incentives to end her lease early and get into a new vehicle, so she finally told her that, while she might consider an X3, she's about 99% sure that she's going to get a Tesla Model 3 and though she won't know for certain until she's able to test drive it (Probably November), she's already pretty set on getting the Tesla when her lease is over this January.

The BMW representative immediately got defensive and said that Tesla's batteries aren't really very good for the environment and if she really wants to get an environmentally friendly car, she should look at the i3. They spoke for more than ten minutes, during which the saleswoman offered more and more incentives, insisted that Tesla's batteries were "#400" on a list of environmentally friendly batteries (or perhaps companies, it's unclear), whereas companies like Exxon and BP are listed in the mid-hundreds.

Finally, after my fiance agreed to test-drive an x3 (since Tesla doesn't have a direct competitor to it, until the Model y comes out) they were getting ready to hang up, but not before one last parting shot.

"I don't want to say Tesla is a scam... but Tesla is a scam."

My take? BMW and its dealerships are SHOOK! The 3 series has been the gold standard of entry-level luxury sports sedans for about 3 decades and Tesla is going right at them. My fiance, who runs in a crowd of people who primarily drive either a BMW 3 series or 5 series, said several of her friends and coworkers have made the same decision - after their leases are finished, they're going with a Model 3, which means that this probably wasn't the first time that woman had heard someone say they're leaving BMW for Tesla.

I've had sales people talk smack about every rival company I've mentioned I'm considering. Not all salesmen I've talked to, but a good number. Maybe it works? But I always end up buying from the ones who acknowledge the rivals offer good products, and then proceed to highlight the positive things for their own.

Is your fiance on a list already? You kind of make it sound like that when the leases are up, your fiance (and her crowd) are just going to waltz over to Tesla and pick up a Model 3 off the lot.

The BMW representative immediately got defensive and said that Tesla's batteries aren't really very good for the environment and if she really wants to get an environmentally friendly car, she should look at the i3. They spoke for more than ten minutes, during which the saleswoman offered more and more incentives, insisted that Tesla's batteries were "#400" on a list of environmentally friendly batteries (or perhaps companies, it's unclear)
So, I take it the BMW i3's batteries must be somehow more environmentally friendly than Tesla's? Perhaps they're magic batteries... like magic grits? :)

I've had sales people talk smack about every rival company I've mentioned I'm considering. Not all salesmen I've talked to, but a good number. Maybe it works? But I always end up buying from the ones who acknowledge the rivals offer good products, and then proceed to highlight the positive things for their own.

Is your fiance on a list already? You kind of make it sound like that when the leases are up, your fiance (and her crowd) are just going to waltz over to Tesla and pick up a Model 3 off the lot.

Me too. Before Tesla, I went between BMW and Audi the most, and oh boy, it's nonstop banter between the two. Audi won't stop telling me about how BMW's spontaneously brick themselves on "bad gas" and how every gas station will try to sell you bad gas. BMW frequently told me about Audi engine oil consumption / carbon buildup.

Some of that has some grain of truth but is largely just FUD that's supposed to make you feel like you went to the right dealership and shouldn't cross-shop with the other brand.

I actually had a really great experience when I returned my Audi at a different dealership — they asked if I was interested in another Audi, and I told them not this time, I'm getting a Tesla… And the guy said "don't blame you — I've heard great things about them. If you're ever interested in another Audi, let me know" and that was it…

Admittedly, it made me consider getting another Audi again. More so than if the guy talked smack about Tesla.

Not all of her crowd are getting Model 3s, and you pretty much can just waltz on over and get a Model S or X. In fact, if you purchase inventory vehicles, you could be driving your car in about a week or so. As for my fiance, she should have her Model 3 by January. her co-workers are also on the list but not as high up as we are. It just happens to work out that her lease is up in January and her delivery estimate is November-January.

Reactions: sdorn
BMW is pushing hard for sales, I went to the BMW dealer a few blocks from my house and it's been non stop calls and emails. I hate BMW's, I only went there to look at a clunker Toyota to drive around, I did go in my Tesla though LOL

Hi Doug, this is Blake with BMW Portland. We are having the best deals I have ever seen right now at the dealership and it's your time to take advantage! Do you have time at 2PM today to take a look at our inventory?

My Regards,
Blake Weaver
| Client Advisor | BMW Portland

• Funny
Reactions: zmarty
"I don't want to say Tesla is a scam... but Tesla is a scam."

When you're pretty sure you're losing the sale, you've got nothing to lose and you'll say anything. You may be throwing your credibility out the window, but if there's a 1% chance it'll work you've not lost anything.

(Well except your self-respect, which apparently was not a factor for this salesman...)

• Funny
Reactions: F_T_K and calisnow
Here are some fun facts on the i3 (having had it for three years) that you may want to discuss with your BMW dealer:
1. BMW updated the i3 software once in the last three years, and that was because of a recall. There is a $200 fee (or something like that) if you want a software update that's not part of a recall -- and the car sits at the dealership for a day. No, this is not a scam according to BMW.
2. BMW's navigation search is pretty interesting. Search for your favorite restaurant type and its first few matches are restaurants on the other side of the continent. We'd always get restaurants in California or Florida when we live in New York. I guess that would take us a month or two to get there with the i3's 40 mile range and their fast-charging network.
3. BMW's input interface is a straight copy of the MacBook Wheel (search for it if you've not heard of it!).
4. BMW's navigation expects you to drive through fences and walls to get to your destination, and it will come up with rather interesting ways to get to your destination. Here's an example of how it wants to get you from one end of a mall to another -- a several mile detour and an exit through the fence next to a freeway on-ramp:

IMG_0701.jpg

I'm in ongoing conversations with BMW, Audi, and Alfa Romeo salesmen, and all of them have taken it in stride that I have a Model 3 reservation I'll probably be purchasing. Cross shopping brands is nothing new. Neither is the phenomenon of a salesperson making unfounded claims about a competitor.

I have been tempted to take my Model S to car dealers, but don't really have many good excuses to do so. I did go to the local Chevy dealer to look at the Bolt claiming we were looking for a friend. When the saleswoman heard I had a Model S, she knew immediately she wasn't going to sell one to me. She said almost everyone coming in to look at Bolts want a Model S or X, but can't afford one.

If I was talking to a salesperson who badmouthed Tesla like that BMW salesperson had, I would have replied, "will you be saying the same thing when Tesla is outselling BMW in a few years and BMW is near bankrupt?" Or simply "FUD!"

Depending on my mood, those kinds of sales tactics either annoy me to extremes, or I want to be the cat playing with the mouse. More often than not it's the former though.

I have been tempted to take my Model S to car dealers, but don't really have many good excuses to do so. I did go to the local Chevy dealer to look at the Bolt claiming we were looking for a friend. When the saleswoman heard I had a Model S, she knew immediately she wasn't going to sell one to me. She said almost everyone coming in to look at Bolts want a Model S or X, but can't afford one.

If I was talking to a salesperson who badmouthed Tesla like that BMW salesperson had, I would have replied, "will you be saying the same thing when Tesla is outselling BMW in a few years and BMW is near bankrupt?" Or simply "FUD!"
You have some serious Fanboy issues.....
Relax.