Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla is a SCAM!!" - BMW Dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been getting aggressive marketing materials trying to get me to trade my 340xi in for a newer model, either a 3 series or a 5 series. I normally get these more like 3-6 months before lease end but this time it's a full year before lease end.

I expect that within BMW North America they understand that Tesla 3 poses a serious threat to them in both the BMW 3 and 5 series space and they are trying to lock down as many customers as they can into new leases while they work on getting their fully electric 3 series ready (and that car is just going to be an ICE 3 that is gutted and stuffed with batteries).

However my local dealership is not snooty about it at all, they are always easy to work with and never ever pushy. My service adviser (who is awesome) asked what I was going to do when my lease was up. I told her I had a Tesla Model 3 on reserve and her comment was "smart move, if I could afford it I would probably do that". She was familiar with how big the incentives on electrics are right now in this state.

Electric will never replace fossil fuel. Until something better than electric is produced we will always have gas cars. We are a go society and people simply will not wait for a recharge on the road and batteries simply lose capacity the older they get.

Chose to disagree here as opposed to the "thumbs down". I am not Elon so not much of a dreamer but I cannot imagine anything better than electricity . Save for vested interests wanting to save the status quo electricity is superior IMHO than anything else. When one considers the terawatts of power the sun puts out it makes sense that if we would just harvest, store, and use it efficiently there is not much reason for anything else. (Clear and vis unlimited) ;)

Reactions: Carl and inconel
Chose to disagree here as opposed to the "thumbs down". I am not Elon so not much of a dreamer but I cannot imagine anything better than electricity . Save for vested interests wanting to save the status quo electricity is superior IMHO than anything else. When one considers the terawatts of power the sun puts out it makes sense that if we would just harvest, store, and use it efficiently there is not much reason for anything else. (Clear and vis unlimited) ;)

It's all about cost. Fossil fuels are extremely energy dense and relatively cheap to produce. Subsidization has helped solar get a foot hold but it and other renewables don't even produce 10% of our energy today (9.9%) and that's after throwing 10's of billions at it in the form of tax credits, etc.

If people were really stone cold serious about a cost effective way to switch our grid to a carbon neutral electricity source we would be building dozens of nuclear plants, not opining about building millions of acres of solar panels and wind farms.

It's all about cost. Fossil fuels are extremely energy dense and relatively cheap to produce. Subsidization has helped solar get a foot hold but it and other renewables don't even produce 10% of our energy today (9.9%) and that's after throwing 10's of billions at it in the form of tax credits, etc.

If people were really stone cold serious about a cost effective way to switch our grid to a carbon neutral electricity source we would be building dozens of nuclear plants, not opining about building millions of acres of solar panels and wind farms.
It's been estimated that oil industry gets $5 trillion subsidy a year, if some $10's of billion incentive gotten us ~10% energy converted to solar, imagine what $5 trillion can do.

I stopped by the local Chevy dealer some months back to inquire about the Bolt. They didn't have any in stock and said they wouldn't until September (which reminds me, I need to go back). I brought up the Model 3 and the five salesmen and manager who'd gathered around me started in on Tesla with insane FUD. Like, "Oh, we heard that the Model 3 failed its crash test." and "Oh, supposedly Tesla's going out of business in a few years, they're looking to sell to Opel or someone, is what we heard." And so on. Just blatant lying. When I was done with them I walked out to the parking lot, got in my Model S, and drove away.

Having worked in the automotive media industry for nearly 15 years, and being a follower of it for many years before then, I almost always know more about the cars than the salespeople. By the time I've gotten so far as to going into a dealership showroom, I've already done my research and narrowed my choices. Yes, the OP's example reeks of desperation. The G3 (BMW, MB, Audi) are scared $#!tless of Tesla. If you've read stories of the "pep rallies" they hold at home, EM is portrayed as public enemy #1.

They are in a strange place right now with the whole diesel emissions scandal, trying to defend the technology out of one side of their mouth while claiming they will be "leaders in the EV space by 2020." They next few years will be interesting, that's for sure.

In my experience, it's always possible to find an honest non-pushy car salesman if you are willing to be patient. When I purchased my current car, I actually called the manager and asked him who the most low pressure salesperson was. I ended up working with a great salesman who knew what he was talking about, answered all my questions, and didn't pressure me or lie to me to try to get the sale. I did several test drives over the course of a month and never once felt like I was being pressured into something I didn't want. Even though I'm off the ICE train from now on, I still recommend him to anyone who wants to purchase a Honda or Acura.

It seems like dealerships and manufacturers would try harder to crack down on this sort of thing. One bad experience can lose you a customer for life, while a good experience can enable repeat business.

In my experience, it's always possible to find an honest non-pushy car salesman if you are willing to be patient. When I purchased my current car, I actually called the manager and asked him who the most low pressure salesperson was. I ended up working with a great salesman who knew what he was talking about, answered all my questions, and didn't pressure me or lie to me to try to get the sale. I did several test drives over the course of a month and never once felt like I was being pressured into something I didn't want. Even though I'm off the ICE train from now on, I still recommend him to anyone who wants to purchase a Honda or Acura.

It seems like dealerships and manufacturers would try harder to crack down on this sort of thing. One bad experience can lose you a customer for life, while a good experience can enable repeat business.

Just had a similar experience....bought a Mini Countryman a couple of weeks ago, and the salesman could not have been easier, calmer, nicer to deal with if we had been longtime friends...complete honesty and has been very helpful since. I did learn they are volume-based, not commission, but this more about just who he was....they do exist!

There are massive subsidies for fossil fuels also.

I think the OP just got unlucky and ran into some lower quality sales people. I have had 4 BMWs since 2012 and got them through 3 different dealerships and 3 different salesmen. All of them are high caliber professionals and I would recommend anyone to purchase cars from them. I never had any negative feelings working with them.

In the past few years, I have also interacted with several Porsche salesmen across two dealerships. All of them are also high caliber professionals. Informed, cordial and no pressure whatsoever.

I also owned a Lexus in the same time period and my experience with local Lexus dealer is also terrific.

Of course my Tesla store experiences are also good, but nothing superior.

In all my years of buying cars from auto dealers, from East Coast to West Coast, every single experience, from 80s to 90s to 00s to 10s, was negative and took many hours usually 4+. And then subsequent SERVICE at these dealers was like dealing with mobsters.

Kinda explains why Tesla's stuck with me for the long haul unless they really screw up.

Why would anyone build nuclear at this point when it is completely noncompetitive?

The Nuclear Industry Prices Itself Out Of Market For New Power Plants

Wind and Solar (plus storage) are rapidly (if not already) becoming the cheapest form of electricity in most places and prices are still dropping rapidly. All we need to do is build way more of it.

Exactly ^

PV Solar is already cheaper than nuclear, table below is from here

upload_2017-9-29_11-2-15.png