Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is an AWFUL software company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might need to tell cats. They’ve got the idea that they can see just as well in the dark as you can in the day just using their ‘cameras’. They don’t even have headlights.
Limited color vision has its benefits. Human color vision receptors are concentrated in the center of our field of view and are much less sensitive than the monochromatic receptor cells off-center. It's why you see faint stars better by not looking directly at them

You might need to tell cats. They’ve got the idea that they can see just as well in the dark as you can in the day just using their ‘cameras’. They don’t even have headlights.
Hahahahahha. Sure. Animal vision is logarithmic in brightness response (or at least very non-linear), but cameras are close to linear. That means far worse performance at low light levels. Also far more sophisticated image processing attached to those sensors. To a level we can't even begin to approach synthetically, even for 'just' a cat.

This argument of Elon's that because vision is sufficient for humans/animal's that it is therefore sufficient for machines is technically correct. But many things in the world are technically correct but still dumb. Technically I don't need a keyboard on my desktop computer since there is an on-screen keyboard I can just click my mouse on to use and click one letter at a time. But that is clearly a dumb solution to the problem. Cameras were (and remain) a dumb solution to the auto-wiper problem. And they probably will be to the parking sensor problem as well, but we will have to wait and see.

Cameras were (and remain) a dumb solution to the auto-wiper problem. And they probably will be to the parking sensor problem as well, but we will have to wait and see
I think you have the logic backwards. The problem is not 'do the wipers need to be on', it's 'can the cameras see'. And with the parking sensors, it's not 'can I measure distances around the car' it's 'can I understand where the car is in the world precisely enough to park'. USS don't provide enough semantic understanding of their environment for that, so I can see that they were not part of the long term plan for the car, and similarly just putting in a dumb rain sensor is approximating the answer to the question of 'can the cameras see' rather than measuring it directly. Presumably at some point Tesla will want to introduce automatic window washing to keep the camera view clean, and a rain sensor would do nothing to tell them when that's necessary.

A lot of Tesla's design decisions make more sense if you assume that they are working towards self driving vehicles and the cars they currently sell are merely a snapshot of where they are on that journey at a given time.

Reactions: kayak1
Reactions: kayak1
I think you have the logic backwards. The problem is not 'do the wipers need to be on', it's 'can the cameras see'. And with the parking sensors, it's not 'can I measure distances around the car' it's 'can I understand where the car is in the world precisely enough to park'. USS don't provide enough semantic understanding of their environment for that, so I can see that they were not part of the long term plan for the car, and similarly just putting in a dumb rain sensor is approximating the answer to the question of 'can the cameras see' rather than measuring it directly. Presumably at some point Tesla will want to introduce automatic window washing to keep the camera view clean, and a rain sensor would do nothing to tell them when that's necessary.

A lot of Tesla's design decisions make more sense if you assume that they are working towards self driving vehicles and the cars they currently sell are merely a snapshot of where they are on that journey at a given time.
This idea that decisions make sense if you think about them as a snapshot on the way to FSD is equally dumb. It may be true, but in the mean time, I have to drive my car today, as is. Design it perfectly for right now, duh. This is the worst apologist argument ever.

This idea that decisions make sense if you think about them as a snapshot on the way to FSD is equally dumb. It may be true, but in the mean time, I have to drive my car today, as is. Design it perfectly for right now, duh. This is the worst apologist argument ever.
It’s not an apology for anything. It’s possible to understand something without endorsing it.

Nobody forced any of us to buy a Tesla. It’s rather arrogant to think that they’re stupid just for not designing it the way you’d like it to be.

“Nobody forced you to buy a Tesla” is not a valid argument.
Isn’t it the foundation of the concept of a free market economy? You make a product. If people like it they buy it and you prosper. If they don’t, they don’t and you go out of business.

I don’t remember the part about companies being obliged to build products according to the whims of their customer base.
I wish the car now were the car I bought, without the subsequent forced downgrades.
I can’t comment on that. Aside from the USS debacle I haven’t experienced this. My car has gotten better since I bought it.

No, materially changing the product after you buy it is called “bait and switch”, not “market economy”.

Apparently, I am not the only one who believes the car is worse than when I bought it. Here is what the disabling of the radar and religious Tesla Vision leads to

It is about time for Tesla to go back to its roots and divest from the AI related stuff. Let Musk do what he does best - create new, disruptive things - and allow someone with experience to grow Tesla. The mix of a startup and established company negatively impacts both. When AI is out of beta we will all welcome it. For many of us the car is not an experimental project; it is an essential tool.

It’s not an apology for anything. It’s possible to understand something without endorsing it.

Nobody forced any of us to buy a Tesla. It’s rather arrogant to think that they’re stupid just for not designing it the way you’d like it to be.
That I'd like it to be designed for how I have to use it now is a controversial statement? That's table stakes, minimum requirements, P0.

Everything else is nice to have.

I understand that it's a plausible explanation for why it is how it is, but it's still a bad choice, whether you are apologizing for it or not. Many of you are apologizing for it. Whatever.

Reactions: smogne41