Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is an AWFUL software company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I was driving through a fog late last night and thought I’d try the voice command “turn on fog lights”. Instead, got a “not implemented”. Don’t see how that’s better than Siri. I thought they implemented every function via voice. It’s not like it’s an unlimited number of options :/
It may not be perfect, but it catches my accent and some pretty complicated ethnic names of businesses perfectly. I don’t use the term perfectly willy-nilly. I’ve tried the same commands with other voice control systems and they have all failed.
YMMV.

I don't see you selling any Tesla vehicles in the for sale section of the forums. Did I overlooked something? You may want to sell all your tesla energy products while your at it too. If you're not happy, move on. Life is to short to be disgruntled about a product.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jimt29
People keep saying that Tesla is such a great software company, but their software is AWFUL. Bad words carefully avoided but thought loudly:

1. I can't get rid of the visualization. It takes up the most visible part of the display, distracting me as I drive.
2. The autopilot software can't even get the visualization right. Flickering, bouncing images of vehicles? That bus next to me is sliding back and forth even though we're both dead stopped. That pickup? It's a minivan. No! It's a sedan. No! It's a pickup.
3. The UI has no significant customization. The speedo needs to be larger, for instance, but I cannot modify anything. Elon knows best?
4. I want to turn on my heated steering wheel. Not under car settings. No way to hit a button directly on the main screen. Hitting the electric seats button doesn't do it. Nor does holding down on the seat button. Looked it up in the manual on built into the car, and it doesn't even list the feature. Finally searched on the internet and found a screenshot about the feature existing that shows it's in the HVAC screen. Click on HVAC. Look around. Find the button. I'm supposed to do this while driving? I no, I have to memorize where every single unintuitive and undocumented control is. That assumes the control actually exists.
5. The time the car wouldn't open for a few minutes. Then it opened but wouldn't start. Then it finally all turned on 10 minutes later.
6. The time the entire interior electronics were dead, including AC, speedo, and so on. But then they magically turned on 10 minutes later.
7. The charge port that doesn't want to let go, even though charging is done. No button to do it either. Gotta unplug the charger from the adapter then the adapter from the car. I love pointless extra steps. Yes, this is software.
8. Back to the UI: it's a total fustercluck. Tabs at the bottom with tiny icons. Tabs that have no discernable meaning (A circle with stars? Wut?) and then jumble a bunch of unrelated ideas together.
9. The settings menus have no discernable logic. I have to go through several items to find the settings I want, but only when they actually exist. And yes, sometimes I have to search up the location as I tire of searching through tabs.
10. Thanks, Mr. Screen, for blinding me at full brightness when I got in the car at 10:15PM last night.
11. The auto-bright headlights that turn off when signs shine back at them, but that don't notice the oncoming car.
You are making some valid points, but, having owned multiple software companies during the last few decades, you also come across just as entitled as the software is imperfect.

It appears as if you take all the great things that car CAN do and the things that DO work for granted (never mind that Tesla is still the most high tech and most customizable car in existence, with great acceleration, a silent ride, no need for gas, a worldwide fast charging network that other EVs can only dream of, etc. etc.), and are only focusing on the handful things you don't like... and that adds up to "terrible" for you.

I suggest you watch this:

... and learn how to tell apart valid concerns and unreasonable expectations. Yes, Tesla vision is not perfect. It's only the first and only one of its kind in a car. Expecting perfection at this stage of the game is unreasonable. It is still a work in progress and it will take a while to get it anywhere near perfect.

There is no perfect software. But there are also user expectations and the kind of user who thinks that everything that isn't made, or isn't fully customizable according to his/her private expectations is "terrible". Every developer must make choices, juggling a TON of conflicting factors - ease of use vs. customizability, uniform user experience vs custom settings, safety vs. "do whatever you please", and in Tesla's case, also taking into consideration the different laws and regulations of hundreds of countries, etc.

Have you tried the button on the charge handle (the end which goes into the car)? You say there is no button, but there IS a button on it. If you push it, it opens the charger port when it's closed, and releases the latch when the cable is plugged in so you can remove the cable. I use it all the time and find it very simple and intuitive.

The manual has different editions based on regions and the version you have, or the latest version available may not include some of the latest features, since everything is software based and edited, formatted and published manuals, or even online help files may not be updated immediately when a new features is released.

I also don't understand how the traffic visualization can be distracting for you - you actually have to look at the display to be "distracted" by it. No one is forcing you to look at it. I for one, find it very informative as I can see how the car interprets what the cameras see, and it helps me predict what the car will do. For me, it makes AP safer and helps me understand how the car "thinks" and why it does certain things. I definitely prefer it to a black box that just did its thing and I would have no idea why.

Tesla, like yourself, isn't perfect. But just as I wouldn't say that you are a terrible whiner, I also wouldn't say Tesla is a terrible software company. Given the incredible complexity of what they are making, and their responsibilities and the balancing acts they have to contend with between cutting edge tech and outdated regulations, I think they are doing pretty darn good.

Last edited:
You are making some valid points, but, having owned multiple software companies during the last few decades, you also come across just as entitled as the software is imperfect.

It appears as if you take all the great things that car CAN do and the things that DO work for granted (never mind that Tesla is still the most high tech and most customizable car in existence, with great acceleration, a silent ride, no need for gas, a worldwide fast charging network that other EVs can only dream of, etc. etc.), and are only focusing on the handful things you don't like... and that adds up to "terrible" for you.

... and learn how to tell apart valid concerns and unreasonable expectations. Yes, Tesla vision is not perfect. It's only the first and only one of its kind in a car. Expecting perfection at this stage of the game is unreasonable. It is still a work in progress and it will take a while to get it anywhere near perfect.

There is no perfect software. But there are also user expectations and the kind of user who thinks that everything that isn't made, or isn't fully customizable according to his/her private expectations is "terrible". Every developer must make choices, juggling a TON of conflicting factors - ease of use vs. customizability, uniform user experience vs custom settings, safety vs. "do whatever you please", and in Tesla's case, also taking into consideration the different laws and regulations of hundreds of countries, etc.

Have you tried the button on the charge handle (the end which goes into the car)? You say there is no button, but there IS a button on it. If you push it, it opens the charger port when it's closed, and releases the latch when the cable is plugged in so you can remove the cable. I use it all the time and find it very simple and intuitive.

The manual has different editions based on regions and the version you have, or the latest version available may not include some of the latest features, since everything is software based and edited, formatted and published manuals, or even online help files may not be updated immediately when a new features is released.

I also don't understand how the traffic visualization can be distracting for you - you actually have to look at the display to be "distracted" by it. No one is forcing you to look at it. I for one, find it very informative as I can see how the car interprets what the cameras see, and it helps me predict what the car will do. For me, it makes AP safer and helps me understand how the car "thinks" and why it does certain things. I definitely prefer it to a black box that just did its thing and I would have no idea why.

Tesla, like yourself, isn't perfect. But just as I wouldn't say that you are a terrible whiner, I also wouldn't say Tesla is a terrible software company. Given the incredible complexity of what they are making, and their responsibilities and the balancing acts they have to contend with between cutting edge tech and outdated regulations, I think they are doing pretty darn good.

@SilentFlight this post is spot-on*, and thank you for making it. In summary: no piece of useful software is without bugs, shortcomings, and designs some users may not understand or like; making something this complex is full of trade-offs and design decisions and have a myriad of constraints to consider and overcome.

* with one possible thing I'd object to, arguing that Teslas are the most customizable cars in existence. There are very few choices/options when ordering your vehicle, to start. The software does give you a lot, but I don't know how you'd argue that it's the most customizable experience. Many models from other brands give you more flexibility as to what information is being displayed and how, more control over things like amount of regen/1 pedal driving, control over suspension settings at the touch of a button (not as common perhaps), and other luxuries like HUDs, massaging chairs, etc. And of course Apple Car Play and Android Auto integration to give you more infotainment and navigation options (Tesla is arguably a very walled garden in this aspect). It's also possible I've misunderstood your point around customizability though, so I'd love to hear what makes you say this.

I'm struggling to understand why you own this car? The items you are complaining about would have been known to when you bought the car. The door handles? Come on!
I have never had an issue with door handles until this Tesla. They're idiotic. I prefer regular old door handles, though I can live with the automated handles that slide out. Mercedes door handles are the best. Not only are they easy to grab and work when the power is off, they also offer a way to pull a stuck door open for emergency services. How am I wrong about the door handles? You're just rolling your eyes at us while ignoring the perfectly valid criticism.
I don't see you selling any Tesla vehicles in the for sale section of the forums. Did I overlooked something? You may want to sell all your tesla energy products while your at it too. If you're not happy, move on. Life is to short to be disgruntled about a product.
Why can't I make a thread saying that Tesla is a *sugar* software company? That's what I wanted to do. I didn't want to sell the car. Musk reminding me today that he's an asshole, calling anti-COVID measures fascism as he moves his HQ out of Texas. I wonder how many of his California female employees are going to happily follow. Does he have a clue what fascism even is? Obviously not. It's a rhetorical question.

I kinda lost interest in what you were saying when you posted a whiny CK video. He's the guy who sexually harassed a bunch of women. A moral authority he is not.

I don't use the stupid Tesla charger. I have two L2 chargers already installed in my garage. They've been here for years. I use the adapter because Tesla foolishly went their own way with connectors. That would be clear if you had not been a representative lazy member of your generation, stopped whining, and read this entire thread. You're not saying anything new here.

Documenting features is a basic job of software companies. Tesla has the cash to have a team of technical writers. They just didn't bother. Again, shitty software company. Also, shitty software in that you can't even properly search through the text.

A flashing light in my field of view IS distracting. The display also gives useful warnings sometimes, but only near the bottom, which requires a full look away from the screen. On a weekly or more basis, Tesla's *sugar* software warns that I am about to hit something that I'm not. Yesterday, it was a car parked on the side of the road. It said it actually intervened, but I didn't feel anything, thank goodness. The car didn't know where the side of the road is. Full self driving? God help us all.

Compared to every other car I've driven, Tesla's software is the worst. They're not a terrible car company. They make a lot of questionable decisions. They're an excellent motor and engine company. They just are awful, absolutely awful, at making software, or at least software that I interact with. Everything behind the scenes? That seems to work well. The motor talks to the controller and so on. I think all of Tesla's strength is in batteries and motors. You haven't dealt with the criticisms. You've just attacked me and made excuses and deflections.

I guess I should have stopped after the CK video. I suppose you think the women were lying.

Sounds like you care too much what people think. How is that embarrassing? In any way? Oh no a car twitched on my screen!
It's embarrassing for Tesla in that it shows just how awful their software is. It's embarrassing for the owner in that this screen is freaking out over and over, and the screen can't even be turned off. And the owner has spent all this money for a product that has obvious and significant issues.

Why can't I make a thread saying that Tesla is a *sugar* software company? That's what I wanted to do. I didn't want to sell the car. Musk reminding me today that he's an asshole, calling anti-COVID measures fascism as he moves his HQ out of Texas. I wonder how many of his California female employees are going to happily follow. Does he have a clue what fascism even is? Obviously not. It's a rhetorical question.
Nowhere on my post did I mention that you can't make a thread saying that Tesla is a sweet software company.

@SilentFlight this post is spot-on*, and thank you for making it. In summary: no piece of useful software is without bugs, shortcomings, and designs some users may not understand or like; making something this complex is full of trade-offs and design decisions and have a myriad of constraints to consider and overcome.

* with one possible thing I'd object to, arguing that Teslas are the most customizable cars in existence. There are very few choices/options when ordering your vehicle, to start. The software does give you a lot, but I don't know how you'd argue that it's the most customizable experience. Many models from other brands give you more flexibility as to what information is being displayed and how, more control over things like amount of regen/1 pedal driving, control over suspension settings at the touch of a button (not as common perhaps), and other luxuries like HUDs, massaging chairs, etc. And of course Apple Car Play and Android Auto integration to give you more infotainment and navigation options (Tesla is arguably a very walled garden in this aspect). It's also possible I've misunderstood your point around customizability though, so I'd love to hear what makes you say this.
My comment about Tesla being the most customizable car in existence was related to the software (the original topic of this discussion). I don't know any other car in which so many functions can be customized via software, and where the manufacturer adds and tweaks things after delivery. Which other car has options like dog mode (just one random example)? It didn't exist when the software was created, it was added later via a software update. I am not aware of any other car that can do this to this degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have never had an issue with door handles until this Tesla. They're idiotic. I prefer regular old door handles, though I can live with the automated handles that slide out. Mercedes door handles are the best. Not only are they easy to grab and work when the power is off, they also offer a way to pull a stuck door open for emergency services. How am I wrong about the door handles? You're just rolling your eyes at us while ignoring the perfectly valid criticism.

I kinda lost interest in what you were saying when you posted a whiny CK video. He's the guy who sexually harassed a bunch of women. A moral authority he is not.

I don't use the stupid Tesla charger. I have two L2 chargers already installed in my garage. They've been here for years. I use the adapter because Tesla foolishly went their own way with connectors. That would be clear if you had not been a representative lazy member of your generation, stopped whining, and read this entire thread. You're not saying anything new here.

Documenting features is a basic job of software companies. Tesla has the cash to have a team of technical writers. They just didn't bother. Again, shitty software company. Also, shitty software in that you can't even properly search through the text.

A flashing light in my field of view IS distracting. The display also gives useful warnings sometimes, but only near the bottom, which requires a full look away from the screen. On a weekly or more basis, Tesla's *sugar* software warns that I am about to hit something that I'm not. Yesterday, it was a car parked on the side of the road. It said it actually intervened, but I didn't feel anything, thank goodness. The car didn't know where the side of the road is. Full self driving? God help us all.

Compared to every other car I've driven, Tesla's software is the worst. They're not a terrible car company. They make a lot of questionable decisions. They're an excellent motor and engine company. They just are awful, absolutely awful, at making software, or at least software that I interact with. Everything behind the scenes? That seems to work well. The motor talks to the controller and so on. I think all of Tesla's strength is in batteries and motors. You haven't dealt with the criticisms. You've just attacked me and made excuses and deflections.

I guess I should have stopped after the CK video. I suppose you think the women were lying.

It's embarrassing for Tesla in that it shows just how awful their software is. It's embarrassing for the owner in that this screen is freaking out over and over, and the screen can't even be turned off. And the owner has spent all this money for a product that has obvious and significant issues.
Dude, chill and maybe take your political arguments to TikTok. This is a Tesla forum, no one is claiming "moral authority" and it's not about feminism or any other off topic nonsense you dragged into the discussion.

I actually read your full post and responded with my view. I didn't attack you. No one can help you when you complain about how terrible Tesla is because your 3rd party charging cable doesn't have the functionality you desire - while the original Tesla cable, which you call "stupid" and refuse to use, works perfectly. How is that about Tesla and not you?

Or when you say Tesla "foolishly" went their own way with connectors - ahm, they are the ONLY ones with a worldwide charging network that charges the car at 150kWh+, which required them going with a different connector. If they didn't, you would be sitting at charging stations for 2-3 hours like other EV owners, and of course then you would complain about that.

Or when you think that Tesla Vision constantly correcting itself as it's trying to interpret the world is "embarrassing you". Tesla is not doing that to you - the screen is working as intended, and the best it can at the present state of affairs. Being embarrassed because of it is exclusively your contribution. I don't think it's embarrassing for Tesla. Care to point out which production car you can buy today has a better AI vision system where there are no uncertainties or flickers? I'm waiting.

Last edited:
Tesla keeping their own connector I agree with. It’s so small and nice. Both CCS versions are huge and hideous and NA has the worst one CCS1 which doesn’t even lock automatically. Hopefully MCS is better and everyone adopts it.

edit: and speaking of software, WTF is wrong with this moronic forum? Posting on mobile is an exercise in futility because it randomly jumps back to the top of the page while typing or editing a response and if I scroll too far back to the bottom it jumps AGAIN to the top!!

I have mentioned you saying it is "embarrassing" to a few friends that were in my car with me. I pointed out the ever so slight twitching and said that someone said it was embarrassing. This is 6 different people. Some tech savvy, some not. You want to know what the final consensus was for each of them? That it is in no way embarrassing. It's a feature no one else has and they are pushing forward with innovating stuff. Twitching doesn't matter and whoever says it is embarrassing needs to get a grip.

And before you try to say they aren't the type that would question things, I live in orange county california, 2 out of 3 people are entitled, rich, and freak out at the slightest inconvenience....

Reactions: kayak1
Awful, compared to which car company ?

The magnitude of micro controllers, AI and backend servers sewing a fleet together across models, localizations, and countries.
The logistics of over the air updates for all of it. Juggling multiple iterations without forced flash cuts.
Room for improvement, absolutely, always.
Just counting the 45 revisions I’ve received adding feature’s, and addressing issues, incredibly responsive.
This isn’t big three stamp and forget. Tesla has been very much hands on since each car left the line, millions of miles, expanding their knowledge base keeping the wheels turning and product evolving.

This software system and manufacturer is very much alive and unlike any other car companies undertaking.
Ever

Tesla keeping their own connector I agree with. It’s so small and nice. Both CCS versions are huge and hideous and NA has the worst one CCS1 which doesn’t even lock automatically. Hopefully MCS is better and everyone adopts it.

edit: and speaking of software, WTF is wrong with this moronic forum? Posting on mobile is an exercise in futility because it randomly jumps back to the top of the page while typing or editing a response and if I scroll too far back to the bottom it jumps AGAIN to the top!!
how does ccs1 lock?

Dude, chill and maybe take your political arguments to TikTok. This is a Tesla forum, no one is claiming "moral authority" and it's not about feminism or any other off topic nonsense you dragged into the discussion.

I actually read your full post and responded with my view. I didn't attack you.
We're dealing with a young
1633975328191.png

This is like saying "SpaceX is an AWFUL rocket company. Why have they not landed people on mars yet?!" "Reusable booster?! That *sugar* blew up a few times when landing". "Fu*kin can't even get the rocket cameras working correctly. Constant flickers when I'm trying to watch the rocket go to space. What kind of rocket company are they?" "You see that AWFUL flying silo that crashed multiple times? What a joke"

My comment about Tesla being the most customizable car in existence was related to the software (the original topic of this discussion). I don't know any other car in which so many functions can be customized via software, and where the manufacturer adds and tweaks things after delivery. Which other car has options like dog mode (just one random example)? It didn't exist when the software was created, it was added later via a software update. I am not aware of any other car that can do this to this degree.
Highly customizable for and for Tesla, not by owners.

I don't use the stupid Tesla charger. I have two L2 chargers already installed in my garage. They've been here for years. I use the adapter because Tesla foolishly went their own way with connectors.

I use a Grizzl-E Smart 40a charger, it has a J1772 connector on the cable (we use it with our 4xe as well), so when I charge the Tesla, I use the supplied J1772_to_Tesla adapter, and it locks like a Tesla branded charger, and it unlocks using the button on the charger (that's not part of the Tesla adapter).

The button is both a physical release for the physical latch on the J1772, and it's a solid state switch that triggers the Tesla to unlock the port.

It's worked perfectly for both vehicles.

*shrug*

I use a Grizzl-E Smart 40a charger, it has a J1772 connector on the cable (we use it with our 4xe as well), so when I charge the Tesla, I use the supplied J1772_to_Tesla adapter, and it locks like a Tesla branded charger, and it unlocks using the button on the charger (that's not part of the Tesla adapter).

The button is both a physical release for the physical latch on the J1772, and it's a solid state switch that triggers the Tesla to unlock the port.

It's worked perfectly for both vehicles.

*shrug*
If I unlatch the charger from the adapter, I get to wait a few seconds. Then the car unlatches from the adapter, which I pull off, and then I attach the adapter back to the charger. Several extra steps. Upon the end of charging, the car should simply unlock and stay unlocked.

Even worse, if I unplug the charger from the adapter, often the charge port immediately closes. Then I wait for it to open because it cannot close on the adapter.

Almost as bad, if I unplug and wait too long, maybe 15 seconds, the car relocks to the adapter. Then i have to plug in, unplug, and remove the adapter.

It reeks of "I didn't actually test it in the real world. Let's ship beta software like a boss."

• Funny
Reactions: bedoig