Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is an AWFUL software company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, rather often, the phone doesn't open the car or turn the car on, and I have to break out the keycard.
On iPhones, the iOS system can silently kill (force quit) a background app when system memory gets tight. Tapping the Tesla app icon will relaunch the app and its background processes. (I'm an iOS app developer).

I'm guessing many share your impatience for you to find the joy of a version 0.5 German BEV.
Based on my experience with my 530e hybrid, I wouldn't consider buying an i4 until BMW has ironed out all the bugs. And I'd also buy the aftermarket i4 front bumper, since the oversized grille is hideous.

Would love to hear your opinion of M50. I have been looking at it but concerned about the range.
Since I almost never drive more than 200 miles in a day, I'm not worried about this. I've never once used a Supercharger. I very much like the new BMW grill, just as I liked all the touches Bangle did that became mainstream.

The BMW i4 has better *seats, *sound deadening, *overall comfort, *interior materials, *luxury features, *controls, *computer interface, *phone interface, brakes, paint, *styling choices, green construction, *suspension, optional safety features, stereo, and *dealer support.

The Model Y Performance has a better price, range, efficiency, and *weight.

• Informative
Reactions: Boza
Since I almost never drive more than 200 miles in a day, I'm not worried about this. I've never once used a Supercharger. I very much like the new BMW grill, just as I liked all the touches Bangle did that became mainstream.

The BMW i4 has better *seats, *sound deadening, *overall comfort, *interior materials, *luxury features, *controls, *computer interface, *phone interface, brakes, paint, *styling choices, green construction, *suspension, optional safety features, stereo, and *dealer support.

The Model Y Performance has a better price, range, efficiency, and *weight.
And astronomical prices for service once out of warranty. You know, the $.20 plastic gear that requires 5 hours of labor to replace.

Ah, German engineering. Kludge and let the hapless consumer find out years later

And astronomical prices for service once out of warranty. You know, the $.20 plastic gear that requires 5 hours of labor to replace.

Ah, German engineering. Kludge and let the hapless consumer find out years later
BMWs are expensive to repair out of warranty. Teslas are too. Try to get your Model S sunroof repaired. Doh! Lots of older BMWs running around. I hear some guy blew up his Tesla instead of getting it fixed.

People keep saying that Tesla is such a great software company, but their software is AWFUL. Bad words carefully avoided but thought loudly:

1. I can't get rid of the visualization. It takes up the most visible part of the display, distracting me as I drive.
2. The autopilot software can't even get the visualization right. Flickering, bouncing images of vehicles? That bus next to me is sliding back and forth even though we're both dead stopped. That pickup? It's a minivan. No! It's a sedan. No! It's a pickup.
3. The UI has no significant customization. The speedo needs to be larger, for instance, but I cannot modify anything. Elon knows best?
4. I want to turn on my heated steering wheel. Not under car settings. No way to hit a button directly on the main screen. Hitting the electric seats button doesn't do it. Nor does holding down on the seat button. Looked it up in the manual on built into the car, and it doesn't even list the feature. Finally searched on the internet and found a screenshot about the feature existing that shows it's in the HVAC screen. Click on HVAC. Look around. Find the button. I'm supposed to do this while driving? I no, I have to memorize where every single unintuitive and undocumented control is. That assumes the control actually exists.
5. The time the car wouldn't open for a few minutes. Then it opened but wouldn't start. Then it finally all turned on 10 minutes later.
6. The time the entire interior electronics were dead, including AC, speedo, and so on. But then they magically turned on 10 minutes later.
7. The charge port that doesn't want to let go, even though charging is done. No button to do it either. Gotta unplug the charger from the adapter then the adapter from the car. I love pointless extra steps. Yes, this is software.
8. Back to the UI: it's a total fustercluck. Tabs at the bottom with tiny icons. Tabs that have no discernable meaning (A circle with stars? Wut?) and then jumble a bunch of unrelated ideas together.
9. The settings menus have no discernable logic. I have to go through several items to find the settings I want, but only when they actually exist. And yes, sometimes I have to search up the location as I tire of searching through tabs.
10. Thanks, Mr. Screen, for blinding me at full brightness when I got in the car at 10:15PM last night.
11. The auto-bright headlights that turn off when signs shine back at them, but that don't notice the oncoming car.
What car do you have maybe I can take it off your hands 🤣

Probably soon you will be able to do that. In just couple of years Tesla will not be the only game in town anymore…
I hope you're right; they need more competition, especially in customer service. But I think it will take more than just a couple of years til they're not the dominant EV. They have such a head start, and they aren't sitting back on their laurels.

I've been driving longer than 90% of you guys, I'd bet, and I haven't found many great car companies for cars I can afford. So I'm not expecting any of them to suddenly catch up after sleeping all this time.

Reactions: Sporty

I would rather pay astronomical prices and get the car fixed rather than deal with Tesla’s amateurish service and getting rid of customers with “issue is under investigation and no solution exists”. Above from recent experience with Tesla Nj cherry hill service on 2021 MY.

I would rather pay astronomical prices and get the car fixed rather than deal with Tesla’s amateurish service and getting rid of customers with “issue is under investigation and no solution exists”. Above from recent experience with Tesla Nj cherry hill service on 2021 MY.
You've obviously never owned a BMW. I've owned 8 over the years (a 2002, a 2002tii, a 330xi 3 X1s, a 530e and a 3.0CS). Once they were out of warranty, I never took them to the dealer again for service. Even the BMW warranty service is terrible.

My "favorite" BMW service story was when the tech did a routine oil change and forgot to tighten the oil pan drain plug. That resulted in me getting stuck on a country road late at night with an frail, elderly passenger. I pulled over immediately when the idiot light came on but it was too late. The engine and turbo charger were beyond repair. Fortunately, BMW covered it, but I had a loaner for a month while a replacement engine shipped from Germany.

BMW dealer service centers have no idea what to do when anything electronic doesn't work right. Things like autopilot glitches, camera issues, automatic door locking, etc., give them fits. With the cars being rolling computers, this is a major issue.

The whole point of Tesla's design philosophy is they are simple compared to a BMW and are designed to reduce contact with the service center. Who else relies on mobile service to do many repairs? As Elon said, "Almost all input is error". The same goes for servicing a car.

You've obviously never owned a BMW. I've owned 8 over the years (a 2002, a 2002tii, a 330xi 3 X1s, a 530e and a 3.0CS). Once they were out of warranty, I never took them to the dealer again for service. Even the BMW warranty service is terrible.

My "favorite" BMW service story was when the tech did a routine oil change and forgot to tighten the oil pan drain plug. That resulted in me getting stuck on a country road late at night with an frail, elderly passenger. I pulled over immediately when the idiot light came on but it was too late. The engine and turbo charger were beyond repair. Fortunately, BMW covered it, but I had a loaner for a month while a replacement engine shipped from Germany.

BMW dealer service centers have no idea what to do when anything electronic doesn't work right. Things like autopilot glitches, camera issues, automatic door locking, etc., give them fits. With the cars being rolling computers, this is a major issue.

The whole point of Tesla's design philosophy is they are simple compared to a BMW and are designed to reduce contact with the service center. Who else relies on mobile service to do many repairs? As Elon said, "Almost all input is error". The same goes for servicing a car.
Never owned a BMW but have great experiences with Hyundai and Toyota.
Tesla’s service is a joke and absolutely amateurish in comparison to dealership model. It’s funny you brought up the BMW service forgot to tighten the oil drain as from my last visit Tesla service forgot to close the simple plastic housing while servicing the loose rear view mirror inside the car. My MY is still within warranty and a technician even confirmed the sound from rear under yet I am getting punted around with under torqued bolts and issue will return in future and no solution exists! Absolutely s****y service. I know two other members with similar issue and have seen their invoices with sub frame replacement and rear axles service. If service is pulling this crap with in warranty vehicle I can’t imagine owing an out of warranty Tesla 🤷‍♂️

Never owned a BMW but have great experiences with Hyundai and Toyota.
Tesla’s service is a joke and absolutely amateurish in comparison to dealership model. It’s funny you brought up the BMW service forgot to tighten the oil drain as from my last visit Tesla service forgot to close the simple plastic housing while servicing the loose rear view mirror inside the car. My MY is still within warranty and a technician even confirmed the sound from rear under yet I am getting punted around with under torqued bolts and issue will return in future and no solution exists! Absolutely s****y service. I know two other members with similar issue and have seen their invoices with sub frame replacement and rear axles service. If service is pulling this crap with in warranty vehicle I can’t imagine owing an out of warranty Tesla 🤷‍♂️

I’ve had Toyota fail and fail (and fail) to find vibration in a car. They replaced all sorts of parts, but never fixed it and wouldn’t make it right. Thanks to the lemon law they finally took it back.

I had Jeep go in for routine n-mile service and a day later the transmission died. They left the drain screw out. Asked me where I had taken the car to get serviced. They charged that repair back to corporate blaming it on a defective transmission.

And I agree with bmw. They don’t want to look at anything out of warranty. And if you’re not upgrading your bwm before the warranty ends they don’t even appear to want you as a customer.

All car companies sort of suck. My Audi (TT) & service was pretty good. Until we bought an etron… that’s more a comment on the car though as opposed to Audi the company. (My wife won’t buy another Audi right now).

I’ve had Toyota fail and fail (and fail) to find vibration in a car. They replaced all sorts of parts, but never fixed it and wouldn’t make it right. Thanks to the lemon law they finally took it back.

I had Jeep go in for routine n-mile service and a day later the transmission died. They left the drain screw out. Asked me where I had taken the car to get serviced. They charged that repair back to corporate blaming it on a defective transmission.

And I agree with bmw. They don’t want to look at anything out of warranty. And if you’re not upgrading your bwm before the warranty ends they don’t even appear to want you as a customer.

All car companies sort of suck. My Audi (TT) & service was pretty good. Until we bought an etron… that’s more a comment on the car though as opposed to Audi the company. (My wife won’t buy another Audi right now).
At least Toyota attempted the repair 😏. Whereas Tesla is punting me around (lots of threads regarding service issues). At least with Toyota I am not stuck with the same dealer for service needs.
So, Tesla is no saint with non dealership model. In some regards they are way more terrible than the stealerhsips.