Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is an AWFUL software company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All car companies sort of suck. My Audi (TT) & service was pretty good. Until we bought an etron… that’s more a comment on the car though as opposed to Audi the company. (My wife won’t buy another Audi right now).
I was very happy with VW (Golf GTI) and Audi (S4 and TT); hence, looking at e-tron. What was your issue with the e-tron?

I was very happy with VW (Golf GTI) and Audi (S4 and TT); hence, looking at e-tron. What was your issue with the e-tron?

Gen 1 etron so hopefully it’s better now. Battery distance was terrible. Claimed 28 miles on a full charge. Routinely got 12. (Summer time 16 to 18). Highway speeds took a lot out of the battery.

Traction off the go line was messed up. Don’t try getting in front of anyone at a stop light. Front tires would spin instead of going.

The car takes a good moment to turn on. You have to do it slowly and in order or you need to turn the car off and start over.

Electric motor was gutless. My wife was turning the car around and used someone’s sloping driveway. And then couldn’t back out up the driveway. Called me in a panic as she was worried she was going to hit the house. Everytime she tried, the car it rolled further down hill. When I arrived I turned off the ev part and was able to get the car to go uphill backwards.

Slow charging. Took like 5 (or 6) hours to charge its 28 miles on a 50a plug. Charger was large. Not really portable.

Didn’t seem to have regenerative breaking. But coasted extremely well.

All the non-ev stuff was what you’d expect. Solid car. Quite. Comfortable. Good dash with readable fonts. Wipers worked. Dedicated controls for common things. etc...

Gen 1 etron so hopefully it’s better now. Battery distance was terrible. Claimed 28 miles on a full charge. Routinely got 12. (Summer time 16 to 18). Highway speeds took a lot out of the battery.

Traction off the go line was messed up. Don’t try getting in front of anyone at a stop light. Front tires would spin instead of going.

The car takes a good moment to turn on. You have to do it slowly and in order or you need to turn the car off and start over.

Electric motor was gutless. My wife was turning the car around and used someone’s sloping driveway. And then couldn’t back out up the driveway. Called me in a panic as she was worried she was going to hit the house. Everytime she tried, the car it rolled further down hill. When I arrived I turned off the ev part and was able to get the car to go uphill backwards.

Slow charging. Took like 5 (or 6) hours to charge its 28 miles on a 50a plug. Charger was large. Not really portable.

Didn’t seem to have regenerative breaking. But coasted extremely well.

All the non-ev stuff was what you’d expect. Solid car. Quite. Comfortable. Good dash with readable fonts. Wipers worked. Dedicated controls for common things. etc...
Thanks! I though you had the EV e-tron. I would never buy hybrid - you get the worse from both worlds.

I would rather pay astronomical prices and get the car fixed rather than deal with Tesla’s amateurish service and getting rid of customers with “issue is under investigation and no solution exists”. Above from recent experience with Tesla Nj cherry hill service on 2021 MY.
@rxlawdude just curious what do you not like about this post?
Pay astronomical price and get my car fixed and get piece of mind that family will be safe when we drive (..for a non tesla vehicle and assuming I don’t shop around for pricing) OR get punted around by Tesla service with “no solution exists” and drive a partially broken vehicle that could broke down in the middle of nowhere?

Your posting history is full of histrionics moaning about Tesla as if your limited experience is the rule. It's not.
Please sell your Tesla and buy one of the brands you seem to feel have better service. Their cars may not be better, but you seem to want the royal treatment at service that you feel you are not getting from Tesla.

Honestly, if you're half as surly at Tesla Service Centers as you are here, why would anyone working there want to coddle you? Catch more flies with honey than bile.

And lastly, if you're concerned about your family, good luck finding a safer and more survivable vehicle than a Tesla.
Thanks for reviewing my history and as you can tell I didn’t take Tesla fanboy oath 😁. I feel sad for you fanboys who has to defend this pathetic service. I know it will hurt your TSLA but common you can come up with a better argument than buy another car 🤦🏻
What’s depressing is people like you who think Tesla can do no wrong.

I would love to sell it if Tesla can fix the car 😬? I am sure you or anybody else would not buy it if it’s half broken? By the way Tesla NJ cherry hill is the worst service center by far.

PS: you didn’t answer my earlier question?

Reactions: Jclboston
Thanks for reviewing my history and as you can tell I didn’t take Tesla fanboy oath 😁. I feel sad for you fanboys who has to defend this pathetic service. I know it will hurt your TSLA but common you can come up with a better argument than buy another car 🤦🏻
What’s depressing is people like you who think Tesla can do no wrong.

I would love to sell it if Tesla can fix the car 😬? I am sure you or anybody else would not buy it if it’s half broken? By the way Tesla NJ cherry hill is the worst service center by far.

PS: you didn’t answer my earlier question?
"In my personal experience, Tesla has pathetic service at Service Center xyz because they abcd my car." See, that's honest and signals your personal opinion and perception, rather than declaring as a blanket fact with histrionics.

The chip on your shoulder probably is palpable in person at the SvC, no? Ever thought about being nice and non-confrontational? Maybe try another Service Center and start fresh?

If your car is as big a mess as you make it out to be and service is inadequate, maybe you're in a state with consumer-enabling lemon laws? If so, you are making the choice to rant here rather than doing some self-help that will address your situation.

Last edited:
"In my personal experience, Tesla has pathetic service at Service Center xyz because they abcd my car." See, that's honest and signals your personal opinion and perception, rather than declaring as a blanket fact with histrionics.

The chip on your shoulder probably is palpable in person at the SvC, no? Ever thought about being nice and non-confrontational? Maybe try another Service Center and start fresh?

If your car is as big a mess as you make it out to be and service is inadequate, maybe you're in a state with consumer-enabling lemon laws? If so, you are making the choice to rant here rather than doing some self-help that will address your situation.
You seem to be an expert in looking at histrionics but looks like you have missed the Tesla’s service issues shenanigans? This forum is filled with lots of service complaints.

Also, I must correct you that you need to reread my histrionics and understand that Tesla didn’t mess up my car but they sold me a broken car and now refusing to fix it by making pathetic excuses.

Trying another service center is the plan. Hopefully they will have genuine workers and not the kids who didn’t even make it through kindergarten like the ones at Tesla Cherry hill Nj service center 😏

I have never looked into lemon law but I have too many miles already to even consider it. May be I will consult a real lawdude and find out.

I fear the even after your i4 arrives you'll still troll this message board.

We are all praying you sell your Tesla and stop posting.
I wonder if, when you went and clicked dislike on several of my posts, you read them first. I'm flattered by all the effort you took.

Its not trolling to call it like it is. You wanna go through all the criticisms and tell me why I'm wrong, be my guest. So excited to watch you fail miserably.
Do people even bother to read the subject of a topic thread or is it just randomly clicking into the first one they see so they can write up their agenda-laden post that has nothing to do with the topic?
Respect ma authoritay!

The agenda here is that Tesla is an awful software company. I laid out plenty of ways they do a garbage job. I added a few more ways they do a garbage job. Nobody refuted a single thing.

I've never had a car with software this bad.

You seem to be an expert in looking at histrionics but looks like you have missed the Tesla’s service issues shenanigans? This forum is filled with lots of service complaints.

Also, I must correct you that you need to reread my histrionics and understand that Tesla didn’t mess up my car but they sold me a broken car and now refusing to fix it by making pathetic excuses.

Trying another service center is the plan. Hopefully they will have genuine workers and not the kids who didn’t even make it through kindergarten like the ones at Tesla Cherry hill Nj service center 😏

I have never looked into lemon law but I have too many miles already to even consider it. May be I will consult a real lawdude and find out.
"This forum is filled with lots of service complaints."
You're in a forum where those with issues tend to publicly complain. (Those not having issues with their cars and service don't tend to post happy stories.) In my seven years of Tesla ownership, I've had very few problems but don't post about every resolved issue. Again, this reflects my limited experience and opinion with service. I certainly would not have purchased a second and third Tesla if my experience matched your alleged experience.

"Trying another service center is the plan. Hopefully they will have genuine workers and not the kids who didn’t even make it through kindergarten."
There's your pattern again. Everyone must feel like you, as that service center is totally incompetent in your limited experience and opinion. Right?

"I have never looked into lemon law but I have too many miles already to even consider it. May be I will consult a real lawdude and find out."
Find yourself some competent counsel in lemon law in your state rather than continuing a meaningless engagement of whining and moaning here.

For the record, I am a "law dude" but I do not practice consumer law or lemon law, nor do I litigate. That doesn't mean I'm unfamiliar with basic consumer law in my state. I can't say I'm familiar with consumer law (specifically, lemon law) in your state, but there should be a way for you to obtain relief from this horrendous corporation (based on your limited experience and opinion).

I'm not such a fanboi asserting that Tesla is perfect. Tesla does do dumb things, like eliminate its PR department, go from free Supercharging and free over-the-air services to paid models, having FSD programmed to violate the law with respect to stop signs, and putting new user interfaces out without thoroughly testing it on regular Joe consumers and responding to their feedback. That doesn't mean throwing the baby out with the bath water. I could whine about the Supercharging rates making costs similar to per-gallon gasoline prices. It's more expensive than charging even off-peak with California's investor owned utilities, but it's a helluva lot better than finding a reliable third-party slower "fast" charging station while on the road with 10% charge left.

And then there's a small percentage of owners (including you) unhappy with Tesla for specific but atypical bad experiences.

Last edited:
"This forum is filled with lots of service complaints."
You're in a forum where those with issues tend to publicly complain. (Those not having issues with their cars and service don't tend to post happy stories.) In my seven years of Tesla ownership, I've had very few problems but don't post about every resolved issue. Again, this reflects my limited experience and opinion with service. I certainly would not have purchased a second and third Tesla if my experience matched your alleged experience.
Tesla service experience was very different and not the same when I bought my first tesla in 2016 (in a good way). That car had lots of issues and most were addressed without me doing anything different. I did not get this ridiculous "issue is under investigation" excuse then. So that's why purchased MY, FYI.
"Trying another service center is the plan. Hopefully they will have genuine workers and not the kids who didn’t even make it through kindergarten."
There's your pattern again. Everyone must feel like you, as that service center is totally incompetent in your limited experience and opinion. Right?
I am flattered that you think everyone should follow me but that is my experience with service so far and that's what I will remember as a customer. I see you are trying to spin this into a one-off negative experience that is limited to me but one can easily search for tons of threads regarding ridiculous tesla service. Similarly, your positive experience is limited to you and your service center. Right?
"I have never looked into lemon law but I have too many miles already to even consider it. May be I will consult a real lawdude and find out."
Find yourself some competent counsel in lemon law in your state rather than continuing a meaningless engagement of whining and moaning here.
That's why I said real LAWDUDE not some random Joe on the internet.
For the record, I am a "law dude" but I do not practice consumer law or lemon law, nor do I litigate. That doesn't mean I'm unfamiliar with basic consumer law in my state. I can't say I'm familiar with consumer law (specifically, lemon law) in your state, but there should be a way for you to obtain relief from this horrendous corporation (based on your limited experience and opinion).
So true totally horrendous.
I'm not such a fanboi asserting that Tesla is perfect. Tesla does do dumb things, like eliminate its PR department, go from free Supercharging and free over-the-air services to paid models, having FSD programmed to violate the law with respect to stop signs, and putting new user interfaces out without thoroughly testing it on regular Joe consumers and responding to their feedback. That doesn't mean throwing the baby out with the bath water. I could whine about the Supercharging rates making costs similar to per-gallon gasoline prices. It's more expensive than charging even off-peak with California's investor owned utilities, but it's a helluva lot better than finding a reliable third-party slower "fast" charging station while on the road with 10% charge left.
Surprisingly I give you credit for this!
And then there's a small percentage of owners (including you) unhappy with Tesla for specific but atypical bad experiences.
You can frame it however you like but the service has failed to fix the issue and that's the truth. If that issue is atypical that is not my fault but Tesla's fault.
I am here to share my experience with other owners regarding amateurish service and excuses that this company makes to get out of warranty repair.

Reactions: Sporty
The actual build quality of my car has been fine, about the same as any other car company. The sales experience was meh. I have avoided service thus far. I could go in because the hatch trim keeps coming loose and there's a rattle in the HVAC, but I'm dreading the experience. I'll probably just get rid of the car, though not for those two issues of course.

Just got a forced download of the 2022.4.5 software. It downloaded over LTE, because I disabled WiFi on purpose to avoid having to update. Note I say update, not upgrade. Every update I've gotten in the last two years has had a worse UI than the one before, something I had not counted on or expected. I expected them to be really serious about the UI while driving, and it's the opposite- they seem to not care at all about distracting the driver.

This update is to fix the 3G network being turned off by ATT. This is has been scheduled since 2019, but Tesla only now seems to need to fix something related to it? That's why I'm adding to this thread. This is part of why I hate Tesla. I love my car, but hate the company. They knew it was coming, and could not be bothered to fix it in advance. Because they have the ability to update at any time, they are just sloppy with the software.

One thing that occurred to me while thinking about this is that Tesla does a half-assed job on every piece of software they write. Every single thing they've implemented is half-baked and unfinished. Examples:

USB media player- unfinished, half broken, hard to use.
Tidal player- unfinished, buffers all the time, no shuffle, as basic as can be. Will it improve? I'd bet money it doesn't.
Sentry Mode- half baked because it wasn't designed for that originally. Keeps the computer hot the entire time and burns power.
Driving camera- people all the time report that it failed to record video when they wanted/needed it. Can be silently disabled after updates.
Auto-wipers. Comically bad, has not improved in 4 years.
Auto-beams. Unusuably bad unless you are a sociopath. Tesla just doesn't care.
Autopilot. Worse now than it was three years ago. Phantom braking is not enough for them to care?
Navigation. Works OK, but could do a better job of routing. They are never going to update this.
FSD. Just terrible, but they shipped it as is.
Driving UI- worse than it was when I bought the car. Was never amazing, but was OK before, and they made it much worse.
Web browser- totally half baked, can only do simple web pages.
Range estimation- has never once been accurate for me.
User manual- totally broken layout, looks like sh.t, and is hard to use.

I could go on, but I just think it's interesting to note how half-assed every part of their software is. The drive train software is the only part that seems to work smoothly and is not cheese-wiz software. The premise is that the sotware can improve over time, but the corporate goals appear to have no interest in actually doing that.

Just got a forced download of the 2022.4.5 software. It downloaded over LTE, because I disabled WiFi on purpose to avoid having to update. Note I say update, not upgrade. Every update I've gotten in the last two years has had a worse UI than the one before, something I had not counted on or expected. I expected them to be really serious about the UI while driving, and it's the opposite- they seem to not care at all about distracting the driver.

This update is to fix the 3G network being turned off by ATT. This is has been scheduled since 2019, but Tesla only now seems to need to fix something related to it? That's why I'm adding to this thread. This is part of why I hate Tesla. I love my car, but hate the company. They knew it was coming, and could not be bothered to fix it in advance. Because they have the ability to update at any time, they are just sloppy with the software.

One thing that occurred to me while thinking about this is that Tesla does a half-assed job on every piece of software they write. Every single thing they've implemented is half-baked and unfinished. Examples:

USB media player- unfinished, half broken, hard to use.
Tidal player- unfinished, buffers all the time, no shuffle, as basic as can be. Will it improve? I'd bet money it doesn't.
Sentry Mode- half baked because it wasn't designed for that originally. Keeps the computer hot the entire time and burns power.
Driving camera- people all the time report that it failed to record video when they wanted/needed it. Can be silently disabled after updates.
Auto-wipers. Comically bad, has not improved in 4 years.
Auto-beams. Unusuably bad unless you are a sociopath. Tesla just doesn't care.
Autopilot. Worse now than it was three years ago. Phantom braking is not enough for them to care?
Navigation. Works OK, but could do a better job of routing. They are never going to update this.
FSD. Just terrible, but they shipped it as is.
Driving UI- worse than it was when I bought the car. Was never amazing, but was OK before, and they made it much worse.
Web browser- totally half baked, can only do simple web pages.
Range estimation- has never once been accurate for me.
User manual- totally broken layout, looks like sh.t, and is hard to use.

I could go on, but I just think it's interesting to note how half-assed every part of their software is. The drive train software is the only part that seems to work smoothly and is not cheese-wiz software. The premise is that the sotware can improve over time, but the corporate goals appear to have no interest in actually doing that.
I can understand how that would be frustrating. I try to look at it as a "glass is half full" kind of thing and enjoy seeing new features arrive on my cars. I enjoy getting things earlier with the knowledge they may not be perfect. The constant software updates is one of the things I like most about Tesla. Being in the software industry, I'm willing to cut them some slack because I understand how hard it is to please everyone.

You cannot compare a typical software to a car software. If your software malfunctions the user will reboot, reconnect, come back or just move on. If Tesla software fails (like in the case of phantom braking) people may die.
That is why there is a huge difference between developing software for systems and “regular” software. Part of the problem is that Tesla uses “regular” software development approach (on top of that - startup type of approach) to systems software.
At the minimum, they should split the driving related functions (and give them to system software developers) and leave Sonic the Hedgehog, light show, car colorization, etc. to the startup developers.

You cannot compare a typical software to a car software. If your software malfunctions the user will reboot, reconnect, come back or just move on. If Tesla software fails (like in the case of phantom braking) people may die.
That is why there is a huge difference between developing software for systems and “regular” software. Part of the problem is that Tesla uses “regular” software development approach (on top of that - startup type of approach) to systems software.
At the minimum, they should split the driving related functions (and give them to system software developers) and leave Sonic the Hedgehog, light show, car colorization, etc. to the startup developers.
They clearly already do this largely in the car, they just don't seem to put the driver controls UI and AP/FSD into the 'systems' class (which they 100% should be doing, and if they are not willing to do it themselves they should be forced to by the regulators).

Reactions: Boza and OxBrew